Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

I am comparing the regions to the ncaas, about 64 teams and 16 districts of 4 qualifiers, and the district tournaments to conference tournaments. Why take out any other than these 2 coaches making very poor decisions.

Then we should re-bracket the Regions without regard to the District touranament results. Otherwise the analogy does not fit. This also eliminates placing coaches and players in a game where the wise course of action is to lose. And that is my whole issue. I know that things got out of hand, but the basic premise was sound. You try to put your team in the best position to advance.

NFL teams hold out their key players in late regular season every year. I have even suspected some of losing games, when it would place them in a better postseason bracket, or help a weaker team get in and keep a more dangerous opponent at home. The NFL did not punish coaches for playing to what a flawed system created. They moved more divisional games to the end of the season, to reduce the number of games that were better lost. It is the job of the administrative body to prevent games that are better lost.

Your ncaas are bracketed by conference tournament.results otherwise most of the Cinderellas would not be in there. The point is, you get 64 in even though only a small number have a realistic chance of winning. A 4 may take a 90-25 beating but may help them improve their program to see a top level team, and maybe next time may not see them until a region final (and not even by intentionally losing in the district). If only two teams go out of a district you may see that group stuck in the middle at best continuously.

It's ashamed girls have to suffer for coaches decision.

In a word, yes.  I have not read through the multiple pages of replies.  The coaches should be fired,  the athletic directors should be put on a leave of absence , the school principles, put on warning.  This is nonsense and starts at the top.  If this doesn't work, the whole process of the TSSAA should be examined.  

So it is not losing games on purpose that is a problem. It just has to be done a bit more discreetly? Anyone who knows the game, and watches very many 3-4 games, has seen it done. And we know it is being done. That will not change as long as teams are put in games that they are better served to lose.

Come on...surely you're smarter than that.  Or maybe not.  As a coach, I can justify playing a particular player, a particular defense, a particular offense, or whatever.  You might disagree...but you can't PROVE my intent.  Only a fool would equate those scenarios with intentionally shooting the ball into the wrong goal or intentionally dribbling into the backcourt.

I'm not disputing, however, the ridiculousness of advancing 4 teams from the district in basketball...not to mention the unfairness when compared to baseball, soccer, and softball.  

In a word, yes.  I have not read through the multiple pages of replies.  The coaches should be fired,  the athletic directors should be put on a leave of absence , the school principles, put on warning.  This is nonsense and starts at the top.  If this doesn't work, the whole process of the TSSAA should be examined.  

No.  The girls are not "suffering" for the coaches decision.  The girls are being punished because they willfully went along with a scheme that they knew was patently wrong.  Either that, or they're the stupidest high school students to ever put on a uniform.

Removing these two teams from the tournament was, in my opinion, the correct decision. Play to win or go home, I say.

Having said that, the current TSSAA basketball tournament format - which potentially allows a team to lose three tournament games and still win the state tournament - definitely potentially rewards this type of thinking.