Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

Ive seen way too many comments saying the coaches cheated the girls or that people feel bad for the girls. Folks, Ive seen a different video that shows just a little bit more action. A player dribbling the ball at chest level that absolutely intentionally walks backwards across the center court line for an over the back call is horrendous. The gal at the free throw line made absolutely no effort in making those free throws. These girls bought into this. It was sickening to watch as a fan. I say the TSSAA did the right thing in doing what they did. They should take it a step farther and force both schools to reimburse the hosting schools of Lawrence Co and Tullahoma the lost gate money from a regional game plus lost concession stand money. And I do not feel sorry for the girls that participated as they were just as guilty for buying into playing that way.

They are

going to reimburse the schools, plus the cost of stocking up the concession stands

After googling this and seeing how many national news outlets picked up this story, this is going to blow up in the RC Administrations face if they don't do something. I will be shocked if both aren't fired. Ask Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson or Joe Paterno (not comparing the acts- this was in no way criminal), but once these things get going, it is difficult to make it go away. I don't see a 2 game suspension cutting it.

After googling this and seeing how many national news outlets picked up this story, this is going to blow up in the RC Administrations face if they don't do something. I will be shocked if both aren't fired. Ask Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson or Joe Paterno (not comparing the acts- this was in no way criminal), but once these things get going, it is difficult to make it go away. I don't see a 2 game suspension cutting it.

A lot more will come out about who knew and when they knew and what they knew

Why didnt the officials begin to call unsportsmanlike conduct and issue TFouls  on one bench then the other until the coaches realized they were ultimately going to get tossed out of the game?  That would cost the school money and the coaches dates on the bench (I would think).

All this knee jerk reaction to this is stupid. There is no need to change format. There is no need to fire the coaches. Making them forfeit is punishment enough. Like I said before it's not the first time. I don't condone losing on purpose. If it is this obvious again...make them forfeit again. It is a slippery slope though.

You are kidding, right?

And what about the lost revenue to Lawrence County and Tullahoma High Schools?

This reminds me of the talking heads on the radio today wanting to know why the players did not refuse to play this way.  Can you imagine a high school girl telling her coach she is not going along with this?

You are kidding, right?

And what about the lost revenue to Lawrence County and Tullahoma High Schools?

This reminds me of the talking heads on the radio today wanting to know why the players did not refuse to play this way.  Can you imagine a high school girl telling her coach she is not going along with this?

Lost revenue is not a factor. No...I'm not kidding.

Yes, I do equate them. At the end of the day, I answer to myself first, for what is in my heart. What other people suspect, or whether they can prove it or not, is immaterial. If that makes me a fool, so be it.

I have not been in that situation, but I will tell you that I believe that I would try not to win, if my team would benefit from a loss. But, I have learned the hard way, that what I believe I would do in a situation is sometimes very different from what I do, if I am actually in that situation. Trying to lose would be agony, because I am competitive by nature. I hope I never have to find out.

Then you have no integrity just like these two coaches who should be fired and if you pulled this you should be too.

Edited by NonUTFan

Integrity?

They played the game the way it was set up.

A flawed system made their best option an undesirable one.

It does not get more real world than that.

If we are going to get along in the adult world, we are going to have to do things that we find distasteful sometimes. That is how life is.

They did not try to injure someone, they did not take PED's,  they did not pay off officials, they did not lie, they did not do any manner of things that I would consider lacking integrity.

They simply played to get to the state tournament, by the rules that exist.

They did what teams do every year. It is a bad system.

Every year, lots of coaches schedule games they are certain to lose. They play bigger schools, in higher classifications. They play powerful teams where they will be hopelessly outmanned. They do this because playing stronger opponents will make them better. They do it because it will give them a better chance to reach the state tournament. Does this lack integrity? They are losing on purpose, in order to reach the state.

I listened to a TSSAA official on 104.5 state that this is something that rarely happens. From his position, if he does not know that it happens every year, he would have to be blind. He had to know that what he was saying was an outright lie. He was defending his employer. Is that integrity?

We are not talking about the T$$AA's integrity we all know they have none because they are about money and not kids, but we are talking about the coaches and players that intentionally threw a tournament game.  You clearly have little integrity as well as you continue to defend the wrong thing.

One is no better than the other.  Pulling back, playing JV players that normally don't play, not trying your best, is every bit as deceitful and makes the game a travesty.  Flip a freakin coin if you're going to do that and decide seeding that way.

The better solution is a single elimination tournament and the top 2 seeds move on.  Do away with the substate and have a 4 team super regional that is single elimination.  Move on to state, draw out of a hat and have a single elimination tournament.  Easy.  This is not rocket science.  The post season is extended to include half the dang schools in the state for the gate money that TSSAA will get.  It's a fundraiser.

Works in every other state, but doesn't make as much money - T$$AA. Totally $elfish & $tupid Athletic Assoc.

Edited by NonUTFan