Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

One last thing.  Nothing wrong with the TSSAA format in place because every school plays the same format.  Would be a problem if this region or district got to do it different.  Like all interstates are 55 as long as you know the rules a head of time can not gripe about the ticket.  And like Dick Vital say Just win baby. That is the motto every kid should strive for.  When my daughter was in eighth grade she was all conference all region and all state and I told her the two things she did all year that I was most proud of at each and every game she led the prayers for both teams after the game and at 8th grade night she spoke about her coaches and was not shy and backwards.  Character is is not built by losses and for sure not by wins.  Character comes from with in and begins with your actions and how you represent your self to the world we live in.

If Riverdale would have beat Oakland than they would have been opposite of Blackman. Since they could get it done in the district semi finals what made the coach think they could in the region semi finals?

The TSSAA system is not the problem and this is coming from a guy that is anti-TSSAA there is.

First, integrity is the most important part of sports and life. If as a coach you don't instill that value in your players than you have lost no matter how many championships you win.

Second, how can a coach be okay with losing. I am a competitor that hates to lose a simple game of cards. As a coach I would never be okay with losing. I am trying to win no matter who I am playing.

This last year I was part of a team going into the last game of the year that would have benefited from losing to get a better draw in the playoffs. The coaching staff agreed that it would send the wrong message and set back our program even though we would have made a quarterfinal appearance. We win the week 10 game against a team that was favored over us which would have been easy for us to lose and we got beat the next week in the first round. None of our coaches regretted that decision because we knew it was the right one. We knew the players would remember that game the coach lost on purpose instead off a possible quarterfinal appearance. However now they will remember beating a top ten team and spoiling their bid for a district championship.

Unfortunately for those young ladies they will know have to remember their last HS as a complete sham. I think they would have rather went out with a loss to Blackman.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

Poster above is right, Riverdale was getting ready to get beat and beat bad. This smells of Corys mentor Tom Insell. Tom would pull crap like this and this is/was his mentality when he was here. Lets just say Flight has been grounded at Riverdale and if Riverdale is smart they will get rid of anyone and everything that has Insells smell on it.

Most people would be shocked to know the stuff going on over there. It's really unbelievable that one school is associated with this. There are some professional, honest Girls High School programs in Rutherford Co. that would never compromise their integrity to associate themselves with it. My child was once associated with it and I still regret every minute of it.

If you have a daughter that's plays bball, trust me when I say this. You want a coach that has integrity and character above all else, period!

• Upvote 1

Suspending the coaches for a year comes from another knee jerk reaction to publicity. I don't think that is a good course of action. Either fire them or just reprimand. I think the Riverdale coach had already been suspended for the 1st two games next year. Then...here comes national attention & everyone panics. What they did was wrong. They should be punished...but suspended for a year? That is about the worst thing they could have done. Now...who is going to be the (losing on purpose police)? If somebody misses a free throw...or turns the ball over late in a game...what is the penalty?

This was not just missing a free throw our turning the ball over late. This was a blatant disregard to the ethical conduct expected of a coach. I don't think this is an overreaction at all. They keep their teaching jobs which is their main source of income but it helps send a message in that county and across the state this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

They made a mistake and hopefully they learn from this mistake and become better coaches because of it. The biggest part of this is making sure the coach at Riverdale actually stays away from program and is not working behind the scenes.

This was not just missing a free throw our turning the ball over late. This was a blatant disregard to the ethical conduct expected of a coach. I don't think this is an overreaction at all. They keep their teaching jobs which is their main source of income but it helps send a message in that county and across the state this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

They made a mistake and hopefully they learn from this mistake and become better coaches because of it. The biggest part of this is making sure the coach at Riverdale actually stays away from program and is not working behind the scenes.

Exactly! It's just a public announcement that will never be enforced!!

It will be enforced, because this came from the superintendent and not the principal. If Riverdale doesn't enforce this than more than the coach will be in hot water. It ha been shown over the last couple of weeks no matter how successful a coach you are in Rutherford County off you step out of line they will get rid of you.

Depends on the principal.

Has anyone stopped to think about this? This is the 2ND OFFENSE by Riverdale in last few years! You would think TSSAA Would have taken that into account! Do you know of any other school much less program that has this track record??

I still can't believe that an administrator (either Principal or AD) if they were at this game did not step in and stop that type of play immediately. If they were not at the game than a game administrator should have been assigned. Someone needs to check and see if both schools had game administrators present at this game as TSSAA requires of school. I'm assuming that had to be discussed when the TSSAA met with the principals of the two schools invovled. Maybe that is why the $1500 fine was enforced to both schools. I have no idea. But, if a game administrator was present and set back and did nothing then maybe the director of schools need to look at having these people replaced. I don't see anyway possible that these two schools can move forward with these two coaches staying on board. The right thing to do would be for these two coaches to step down immediately and the two schools can move forward trying to restore order and respectability back to their girls basketball programs. Just because you have success does not mean that a coach is above the game. I bet they both wish they could go back and hit the reset button on that consolation game. Don't blame the TSSAA for the tournament format. This has been in place for many years so everyone involved understood what was at stake. You can not and should not put players in this situation period.

I still can't believe that an administrator (either Principal or AD) if they were at this game did not step in and stop that type of play immediately. If they were not at the game than a game administrator should have been assigned. Someone needs to check and see if both schools had game administrators present at this game as TSSAA requires of school. I'm assuming that had to be discussed when the TSSAA met with the principals of the two schools invovled. Maybe that is why the $1500 fine was enforced to both schools. I have no idea. But, if a game administrator was present and set back and did nothing then maybe the director of schools need to look at having these people replaced. I don't see anyway possible that these two schools can move forward with these two coaches staying on board. The right thing to do would be for these two coaches to step down immediately and the two schools can move forward trying to restore order and respectability back to their girls basketball programs. Just because you have success does not mean that a coach is above the game. I bet they both wish they could go back and hit the reset button on that consolation game. Don't blame the TSSAA for the tournament format. This has been in place for many years so everyone involved understood what was at stake. You can not and should not put players in this situation period.

Principals were not there. Mr Harris from Smyrna is taking some heat since he was there

Edited by wingman10

Principles were not there. Mr Harris from Smyrna is taking some heat since he was there

Riverdale had an assistant principal there. You can even seem him in the video while the official was talking to the coaches.

Best thing I saw was Riverdale's cheerleaders leave the floor and go sit down. Quess they were so confused they didn't know what to do.