Classless CPA

UCSportsFan

As far as the perception that TSSAA enforcement on recruiting is not even handed, that is how it has to be. They have no ability to investigate, no subbpoena power, and no threat of perjury. So the TSSAA is restricted to acting on the information they are freely given.

This is why you see the hold ups over inconsequential players, while obvious and flagrant bending of the rules goes on unfettered.

Most schools are honest and up front. As a result, those schools are administered tightly. Schools that have made the decision that winning is their number one priority, and are willing to do anything to do so, run no risk of penalties, unless someone on the inside turns them in.

AL is a bad choice for your agruement.  They have 7 classes and crown 7 girls' and 7 boys' state basketball champs.  They played from Feb 23 - Feb 28.  The best thing that i see is that the girls and biys play the game week.  Girls' games 1st and 3rd.  Boys games 2nd and 4th.  the bad thing was that the 1A teams played semi's on Feb 23 and did not play championship until Feb 27.

And your arguement is?

As far as the perception that TSSAA enforcement on recruiting is not even handed, that is how it has to be. They have no ability to investigate, no subbpoena power, and no threat of perjury. So the TSSAA is restricted to acting on the information they are freely given.

This is why you see the hold ups over inconsequential players, while obvious and flagrant bending of the rules goes on unfettered.

Most schools are honest and up front. As a result, those schools are administered tightly. Schools that have made the decision that winning is their number one priority, and are willing to do anything to do so, run no risk of penalties, unless someone on the inside turns them in.

And that is what makes this all so sad.  If CPA basketball would produce a roster, like CPA football does, and prove that they are playing with the students they have, the talk would stop. Just like it does with football.  But, they can't do that.  Because BB is run different than FB, and the rest of the sports.  BB is  not a sport that is developed within the school, from 5th grade on. BB summer sports camps are the only camps that are AAU.  

The current MS players know that they most likely won't be playing in HS, because there will be new players coming in. It's even thrown in their face when players from other schools are allowed to sit on their bench to "observe".  

Of course, nobody with information is going to come forward and be honest.  The people with the facts have too much to lose.  Parents and players not only want the state ring, but the opportunity for exposure for playing beyond HS. Others could lose their jobs. Not to mention the drama that would unfold for any whistleblower. 

It's terribly unfortunate that the administration cannot see through this, and step in and stop it. It's a "Good ole' Boys network" there for sure.  If you try to question any of them, on anything, there is a wall of defense and denial.  So much pride and arrogance. Even the old headmaster is still involved, and walking in the Lion walk, and riding the team bus. They just say, "we are going to be forced to move again.' as if there is nothing they can do.  They are just the victims of haters because they win.  They can't se that most of the trouble is because of BB.   They have some sort of blinders on that they cannot see what is happening.  It is very sad that it has been allowed to get to this point.  The reputation of the entire school has been affected.  Currently the travel to athletic events for all sports is ridiculous considering the location of the school.  And who knows what will happen next. 

Edited by rulefollower

Actually, that is about the LAST thing that anything can be done about. I mean seriously, what rock do you live under? Do you think people are lined up to be a TSSAA official? Alot of areas don't have enough officials. You want to get rid the bad officials? Thats fine, do it. But then you better be ready to have one man crews in middle school and JV ball. And two man crews in varsity ball.

The fact of the matter is TN refs are some of the lowest paid in this part of the country. I know MO referees get about 1 1/2 times the amount for a varsity double header as TN refs do my particular area of the state. You get what you pay for. Or I have an idea, the TSSAA can take an even LARGER chunk of of the percentage of what they take from the school's gates to pay for some actual legitimate training for officials, what do you think about that? Try getting the schools to go along with that one.

They could definitely do something about this too, it is simple. To be able to referee in the state, you pay them more, personally I would like to see it go up to $125-150 for a doubleheader with stipulations that you will be held accountable and evaluated by the schools and coaches after each game. This evaluation has nothing to do with whether they missed the call in the 3rd quarter or not, it should be professionalism, knowledge of the rules, and such. Remember these officials are employees of the schools they have the privilege to represent by officiating the games, they are not the show, no one pays to see them mess up a game or for that matter call a great game. They are there to see the players decide the game PERIOD!

At the end of the year the officials that are ranked the highest get the honor of officiating the tournament, not the 'good ole boy system' that is in place now. I would venture to guess if this type system were set up in Tennessee, the quality of officials would improve dramatically. Other states use a similar system and it works. But the supervisors fight it hard. This is something that all sports need across Tennessee on the high school level.

It's terribly unfortunate that the administration cannot see through this, and step in and stop it. It's a "Good ole' Boys network" there for sure.  If you try to question any of them, on anything, there is a wall of defense and denial.  So much pride and arrogance. Even the old headmaster is still involved, and walking in the Lion walk, and riding the team bus. They just say, "we are going to be forced to move again.' as if there is nothing they can do.  They are just the victims of haters because they win.  They can't se that most of the trouble is because of BB.   They have some sort of blinders on that they cannot see what is happening.  It is very sad that it has been allowed to get to this point.  The reputation of the entire school has been affected.  Currently the travel to athletic events for all sports is ridiculous considering the location of the school.  And who knows what will happen next. 

i can understand it from the standpoint of the administration. That trophy case full of gold balls has to be a powerful recruiting tool. Nobody is going to care how they got them. They have to stay in the weakest class they can get away with, so they will win all the time. And this is, after all, a business.

I don't get it from the standpoint of the coaches. What is the fun in playing when there are hardly any games you could lose, no matter what you do?

And I don't get it from the standpoint of the top players they bring in. What is the benefit of running over outmanned opponents? Look at the big guy. He seems like a nice kid, and he has big-time talent. But, how much is AA competition going to prepare him for playing at the next level?

I am a complete outsider but Alabama wasn't the best choice of comparison. Mainly because the two states actually aren't even close in population. Alabama is at approximately 4.7 million and Tennessee is at approximately 6.8 million. That is a massive difference.

Agreed. This is if and only if the TSSAA will listen to their members, which is anyone's guess. They have some issues that they never move past discussion stages, that is disappointing to say the least. They have schools in the same class that are over twice the size of others. They seem to solve the problem in football by adding 3 more classes for the playoffs, tell me exactly how that is fair to the kids in other sports? Then in some sports you have and A-AA champ and AAA champ, only 2 state champions, how can this be? And please don't give me this would water it down or just give everyone a trophy defense! Simply look at Alabama, a state identical to us in population and generally considered a football state, they just sold out their state championship at around 16,000 at the Birminghsm Civic Center. The TSSAA should wake up and have some guts to do their job.

I am a complete outsider but Alabama wasn't the best choice of comparison. Mainly because the two states actually aren't even close in population. Alabama is at approximately 4.7 million and Tennessee is at approximately 6.8 million. That is a massive difference.

Sorry if I was off a couple million, my bad. Yet they have more classes and a better overall tournament format and attendance for the state tournament.

Tennessee doesn't seem to garner overall interest as much as other states. I'll give you that. I always think about a Kentucky comparison when that enters my mind.

Kentucky has the best system. 1 Tournament = 1 Champion. Everyone against everyone.  5 champions is to watered down. And just wait, if and when this split ever happens the people who constantly get on here and whine about privates will turn all of their attention to the big open  enrollment schools. It will be never ending.

Kentucky has the best system. 1 Tournament = 1 Champion. Everyone against everyone. 5 champions is to watered down. And just wait, if and when this split ever happens the people who constantly get on here and whine about privates will turn all of their attention to the big open enrollment schools. It will be never ending.

Trust me, the open zone stuff will never end. I know first hand.

You have a point, and it would be karma if one of those stars blows out an acl as well.  Not wishing anyone bad luck but i've seen it happen before.  Its called coaching etiquette 101 my friend  :popcorneater:

Don't get me wrong, karma is a b...--- you get the point.  If I was a coach up I would pull starters.  But, if I was the other coach I wouldn't complain about getting blown out either.