Classless CPA

UCSportsFan

Trust me, the open zone stuff will never end. I know first hand.

That's really the biggest issue with public/private debate.  If you give them the ability to split all publics and privates, guess what...the publics who STILL can't win will start complaining about something else....open enrollment schools.  Then what, we water it down more?  Privates, Open Enrollment, Non-Open Enrollment?  The best answer is to somehow give the T$$AA some kind of authority to look into recruiting, and based on the findings they could fine and/or push a particular school to D2.  I'm not sure of the consequences of forcing all privates to D2, it may kill some of there programs because of potential travel costs.  I know it may not hurt your big nashville/chattanooga/memphis schools, but it could be very tough on rural town privates who play surrounding counties. 

That's really the biggest issue with public/private debate. If you give them the ability to split all publics and privates, guess what...the publics who STILL can't win will start complaining about something else....open enrollment schools. Then what, we water it down more? Privates, Open Enrollment, Non-Open Enrollment? The best answer is to somehow give the T$$AA some kind of authority to look into recruiting, and based on the findings they could fine and/or push a particular school to D2. I'm not sure of the consequences of forcing all privates to D2, it may kill some of there programs because of potential travel costs. I know it may not hurt your big nashville/chattanooga/memphis schools, but it could be very tough on rural town privates who play surrounding counties.

There's always something.

Thought I was going to split my gut when I heard the term Rural Town Private.......can anyone explain exactly what that is.....?  I don't know many rural private schools that aren't within a stones throw of a large metropolitan area.  Who is these rural town privates......GCA? :blush:  FRA?  MBA? CAK?  CCS? :thumb:  Sheesh......they way out in the sticks....!

kaz

• Upvote 1

Thought I was going to split my gut when I heard the term Rural Town Private.......can anyone explain exactly what that is.....? I don't know many rural private schools that aren't within a stones throw of a large metropolitan area. Who is these rural town privates......GCA? :blush: FRA? MBA? CAK? CCS? :thumb: Sheesh......they way out in the sticks....!

kaz

+1!

:roflol:

They could definitely do something about this too, it is simple. To be able to referee in the state, you pay them more, personally I would like to see it go up to $125-150 for a doubleheader with stipulations that you will be held accountable and evaluated by the schools and coaches after each game. This evaluation has nothing to do with whether they missed the call in the 3rd quarter or not, it should be professionalism, knowledge of the rules, and such. Remember these officials are employees of the schools they have the privilege to represent by officiating the games, they are not the show, no one pays to see them mess up a game or for that matter call a great game. They are there to see the players decide the game PERIOD!

At the end of the year the officials that are ranked the highest get the honor of officiating the tournament, not the 'good ole boy system' that is in place now. I would venture to guess if this type system were set up in Tennessee, the quality of officials would improve dramatically. Other states use a similar system and it works. But the supervisors fight it hard. This is something that all sports need across Tennessee on the high school level.

You are right, the good ol boy system is part of the problem. There are bad officials calling games they shouldn't be in while a better official called in the JV games before. But that is, and always will be a problem, in just about any orginization. But in my opinion, the BEST officials will usually rise to the top.

While I wouldn't be opposed to referees getting paid alittle more, what I would personally like to see more is the TSSAA put more money into officials. Pay for and encourage officials to attend clinics and camps. If I want to go to the state basketball officials camp, I have to pay a fee, and its not cheap either. I have to pay for a place to stay, to feed myself, and to travel there. And thats on top of time spent away from home and family. If the TSSAA were interested in having the best officials, you would think they would be more than willing to poney up and put alittle money into having good officials, like an investment. I mean each official pays the TSSAA a $60 fee JUST to register. Shooting from hip, I bet there at least 1200 registered basketball officials in TN. Thats upwards $75,000 the TSSAA makes in just fees from people registering to be eligible to call basketball. You would think they could put on a darn good FREE clinic or two with that money. I mean think about it. If a Fortune 500 company told an employee of theirs, "WE want you to be better so WE can put out a better product. Go take some more training, oh, and you can pay for it yourself. And when you get back, we MIGHT reward you for it someday." That employee would laugh in their faces.

Just my .02 worth.

Hilarious topic. Brainerd shoots 14% in the second half and scores 2 points in the 4th quarter. My middle school girls team would have had a hard time not running up the score. Perhaps CPA should have loaned their 3 point shooters. You guys are so ridiculous.

Huhhhh???? was my first response with the thought, "Why in the world would the other team's shooting percentage and amount of points scored have anything to do with the argument which is when is the appropriate time to pull the starters in a game that has obviously been decided in order to honor good sportsmanship"  Then I considered the source and I had my answer and was not hard to figure out who was being ridiculous.   

Edited by kbrks

They have some sort of blinders on that they cannot see what is happening.  It is very sad that it has been allowed to get to this point.  The reputation of the entire school has been affected...  

Could be victims of that age old religious trap, basing it on "look at all the good we do," and "look at the results/the trophies, God must be blessing" as opposed to basing it on the principles of the Word.  If it ever "goes south" for them, it won't be because the leadership wasn't warned.