Hamilton vs Brentwood

big_mike0307

from the Commercial Appeal

Hamilton wins AAA state championship

John Varlas

hamilton_sun1_15027311_ver1.0_640_480.jp

Mark Zaleski / Associated Press Hamilton players celebrate their 65-62 win against Brentwood in the Tennessee Class AAA boys championship game Saturday in Murfreesboro.

hamilton_sun3_15027315_ver1.0_640_480.jp

Mark Zaleski / Associated Press Hamilton’s Kevon McMahan (left) and Brentwood’s Tanner Tapp battle for the ball in the second half of the Wildcats’ 65-62 win in the Tennessee Class AAA boys championship game Saturday in Murfreesboro.

hamilton_sun2_15027314_ver1.0_320_240.jp

MURFREESBORO — After watching senior stars K.J, and Dedric Lawson dismantle Hillsboro in Wednesday’s quarterfinals, Hamilton coach Todd Day addressed the need for another player to step up, adding that he was confident someone could do so.

Jordan Cummings at your service.

Cummings scored 21 points Saturday, including the go-ahead basket with 16 seconds left, as Hamilton captured the BlueCross AAA title, holding off a late 3-point barrage from Brentwood to win, 65-62.

It’s the first championship since 2006 for the Wildcats and makes them the seventh different team from Memphis to win in the last eight years. The title is the third in school history and is thought to make Day and his stepfather, Ted Anderson, the first father-son coaching duo in Tennessee to win titles.

And there was more to celebrate after the game too as Dedric Lawson was named Mr. Basketball, finishing ahead of his brother and Southwind’s Donte Dorsey.

“I want to thank my coaches, my teammates, my brother,†Dedric said. “This is a great milestone in my career.â€

As is the state title. But the Wildcats (18-16) wouldn’t have won without Cummings.

After a lackluster start, Hamilton closed the second quarter on a 15-2 run to take a 27-26 halftime lead. And the Wildcats extended it after the break, taking their largest lead with 4:05 to go when a pair of K.J. Lawson free throws made it 54-39.

But the Bruins, who were 8 of 18 from 3-point range, refused to go away. Brentwood made five 3-pointers in the final four minutes and took the lead at 62-61 when Grant Teichmann made a 3-point play following a Cummings turnover.

But Cummings got into the lane on the next possession to make it 63-62 and Brentwood’s Tanner Tapp missed a 3-point shot on the other end. Romero Hill was fouled on the rebound and put it away with two free throws.

“I knew in a game like this that a player who could attack the rim would have a great night,†said Day. “And Jordan attacks the rim as well as anyone in Memphis. He had that turnover, but he hustled back and made the play.â€

Said Cummings, “We just had to keep a clear head and stay focused. We just wanted it.â€

With their future coach, the University of Memphis’ Josh Pastner, sitting behind their bench, the Lawsons finished their prep careers in style. Dedric scored 20 points on 9-of-13 shooting and added a game-high 11 boards; K.J. — the tournament MVP — had 17 points and nine rebounds.

“I think we’ve put Hamilton basketball back on the map,†said K.J. “We fought through a lot of adversity this season and I wish it could have been a two-peat, but it’s a great way to go out the door.â€

Much of that adversity came after the TSSAA ruled the team had to forfeit its first 15 wins after Tarrance Baker was ruled ineligible. But Day said his team showed what it was made of by staying the course.

“Resiliency,†he said when asked to describe his squad. “They’ve fought all year, and I’ve loved coaching them.â€

Edited by kwc

Congrats to Hamilton, a dominant team and a state champ.

Congrats to B'wood on an over-achieving team and a great season.

After watch B'wood this year I did not expect to see them in the championship game.

Great job by the coach to get the players peaked at the right time.

Next season, they have a couple of Williamson teams that are young to contend with. If they win the district next year, they should be an even better team.

Congrats to Hamilton, a dominant team and a state champ.

Congrats to B'wood on an over-achieving team and a great season.

After watch B'wood this year I did not expect to see them in the championship game.

Great job by the coach to get the players peaked at the right time.

Next season, they have a couple of Williamson teams that are young to contend with. If they win the district next year, they should be an even better team.

Independence, led by the Murphy brothers, should be the team to beat in our district next season.

u must not have been there weds. morn chill!

Agreed. This conversation was brought up during the game. Several around me thought it was 5 to 1 in favor of White County. I thought it was four to one or at least 3 to 1. Like 90 said, we filled one entire side and part of the other side not counting our huge student section.

This fan banter is hilarious. Even if it were true that Sparta brought more fans, you're acting like you deserve a merit badge for it.

NEWSFLASH: you were soundly beaten by a better team. You don't see Brentwood fans running around whining about how we outnumbered Hamilton fans 8-to-1. We still got the Silver Ball and they got the Gold.

This fan banter is hilarious. Even if it were true that Sparta brought more fans, you're acting like you deserve a merit badge for it.

NEWSFLASH: you were soundly beaten by a better team. You don't see Brentwood fans running around whining about how we outnumbered Hamilton fans 8-to-1. We still got the Silver Ball and they got the Gold.

Classic PP right there.

PP calling out other fans.

Made me laugh.

Edited by Hubbard

• 3 weeks later...