Knox Catholic 2015

BigDave1967

Why are players leaving Catholic? First the noseman now the rb Whaley? Is it tuition, academics, too much talent and not enough playing time, or are the Irish players up to their old trick of skipping the spring semester and going back to a Knox Co. school or other public school where they are zoned to save some money and then have the money to go back to Catholic in the Fall to play football. Key is to go through winter workouts at the public school (coaches hoping to get a player), but don't participate in spring practice so you can go back to Catholic and still be eligible. Tricky Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my question: how would reactions be if 3 kids transfered into Catholic. Athletes leaving or enrolling will always be a an issue at a private school because it's perceived as cheating, but when athletes transfer into a public school it's because they want to play for a good coach. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course another private school basher. No tricks. Silvey didn't want to leave but do to some circumstances at home dad felt he needed to be closer to home. That's their private business and I'll leave it at that. Moses Davis mom wanted him back home so he moved back to Texas after Christmas break to be with her. Cam Whaley was at Catholic because his brother was a senior there. He didn't like the school. Private school isn't for everyone and the academics at Catholic are very demanding. They actually do have teachers who don't care for athletics and are harder on the athletes. Whaley's brother is graduating in May from Catholic, so he's going to Bearden his zoned school. You can't make kids stay if they don't want to be there. All great kids who will be missed. Nice conspiracy theory but those kids probably won't be back.

Wish those kids the best wherever they continue their high school career. But I have to ask. Who was the Davis kid living with since it sounds like his mom was still living in Texas? Was it a "bonafide" guardian? And do Silvey and Whaley have to sit out a year? I'm not 100% but I think transferring private to public they have to sit out unless its 20 miles away (not sure) from their previous school.

Why are players leaving Catholic? First the noseman now the rb Whaley? Is it tuition, academics, too much talent and not enough playing time, or are the Irish players up to their old trick of skipping the spring semester and going back to a Knox Co. school or other public school where they are zoned to save some money and then have the money to go back to Catholic in the Fall to play football. Key is to go through winter workouts at the public school (coaches hoping to get a player), but don't participate in spring practice so you can go back to Catholic and still be eligible. Tricky Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just one more reason public and private needs split.

Wish those kids the best wherever they continue their high school career. But I have to ask. Who was the Davis kid living with since it sounds like his mom was still living in Texas? Was it a "bonafide" guardian? And do Silvey and Whaley have to sit out a year? I'm not 100% but I think transferring private to public they have to sit out unless its 20 miles away (not sure) from their previous school.

He lived with his dad or is that a private school cheating conspiracy too?  Moses is from Knoxville (attended Gresham Middle), lived with his dad till 8th grade, moved to Texas with his mom for two years, then came back to Knoxville.  During Christmas Break decided to remain in Texas.  He wanted to attend Catholic because he played AAU with many of Catholic's players and he developed a close friendship with those guys.

Edited by QSouth89

He lived with his dad or is that a private school cheating conspiracy too?  Moses is from Knoxville (attended Gresham Middle), lived with his dad till 8th grade, moved to Texas with his mom for two years, then came back to Knoxville.  During Christmas Break decided to remain in Texas.  He wanted to attend Catholic because he played AAU with many of Catholic's players and he developed a close friendship with those guys.

I thought it was a legitimate question, but thanks for the clarification and info. I wasn't making a theory, I didn't know there was still family in Knoxville.

Of course another private school basher. No tricks. Silvey didn't want to leave but do to some circumstances at home dad felt he needed to be closer to home. That's their private business and I'll leave it at that. Moses Davis mom wanted him back home so he moved back to Texas after Christmas break to be with her. Cam Whaley was at Catholic because his brother was a senior there. He didn't like the school. Private school isn't for everyone and the academics at Catholic are very demanding. They actually do have teachers who don't care for athletics and are harder on the athletes. Whaley's brother is graduating in May from Catholic, so he's going to Bearden his zoned school. You can't make kids stay if they don't want to be there. All great kids who will be missed. Nice conspiracy theory but those kids probably won't be back.

If he was driving from loudon already everyday how could he be legal to play at another school without a change of address?

I thought it was a legitimate question, but thanks for the clarification and info. I wasn't making a theory, I didn't know there was still family in Knoxville.

It was a legitimate question and I apologize if I sounded rude,  His sister and dad still live her in Knoxville. I've known Moses and his dad for years (through AAU and youth football) and his dad wanted him to be at Catholic, mostly for the education,  There are a select few who have a hard time  believing that a kid might actually want to go to a private school. If thats the case the school had to have cheated.  I'm not naive I'm sure privates do recruit but there are a lot of public schools recruiting better then the SEC.

Edited by QSouth89

There are a select few who have a hard time believing that a kid might actually want to go to a private school. If thats the case the school had to have cheated. I'm not naive I'm sure privates do recruit but there are a lot of public schools recruiting better then the SEC.

The issue that I have had recently, (and not so recently I suppose) is that it appears that Catholic has no religious requirements for admission into the school, but rather gives a "financial break" to a student who is actually catholic. This differs from other local religious schools who require the student to have current, specific religious affiliations, with no break. I have seen Catholic, CAK and Grace all play varying sports over the last few years and the level of diversity at Catholic as opposed to CAK and Grace is staggering.

The issue that I have had recently, (and not so recently I suppose) is that it appears that Catholic has no religious requirements for admission into the school, but rather gives a "financial break" to a student who is actually catholic. This differs from other local religious schools who require the student to have current, specific religious affiliations, with no break. I have seen Catholic, CAK and Grace all play varying sports over the last few years and the level of diversity at Catholic as opposed to CAK and Grace is staggering.

Catholic will only accept a certain percentage of non-Catholic students. It is not really a "financial break" to a Catholic student but the individual churches contribute to the cost of tuition for each of "their" students. As a non-Catholic parent sending my son to Catholic, I viewed it being penalized for not being Catholic. Catholic is much cheaper than CAK and priced about equal to Grace which may explain the greater diversity. We moved from an area that was much more diverse than the current school area which may have helped out with the diversity. I think the tradition and overall sports success has helped attract more athletes. Edited by IrishBBall

Catholic will only accept a certain percentage of non-Catholic students. It is not really a "financial break" to a Catholic student but the individual churches contribute to the cost of tuition for each of "their" students. As a non-Catholic parent sending my son to Catholic, I viewed it being penalized for not being Catholic. Catholic is much cheaper than CAK and priced about equal to Grace which may explain the greater diversity. We moved from an area that was much more diverse than the current school area which may have helped out with the diversity. I think the tradition and overall sports success has helped attract more athletes.

What then, if you don't mind me asking, was the determining factor to send your non Catholic child to a Catholic school, versus, say Grace for example, who has lower student-teacher ratio, comparable cost, and has done better overall over the last 4 years athletically than Catholic has done? As a Protestant man myself, I can't imagine sending one of my sons to a school who doctrinally doesn't believe what we believe. I don't mean to be invasive, but it's an interesting situation to say the least.

And I did a check on both sites, CAK and Catholic are priced at about $800 difference for non-Catholic families. And about $2,800 difference for Catholic families.

So did he pay tuition for whole year ?? Say he paid for full year ... Can he come back to Knox Cath in fall and the tuition already be paid since he didnt got to school there in 2nd semester ??  i know sounds wierd ..but if he paid for a full year tuition .. why would you walk away from that .. same thing with the other kids .. how is tuition paid ?? monthly or qtrly or yearly ??