Knox Catholic 2015

BigDave1967

What then, if you don't mind me asking, was the determining factor to send your non Catholic child to a Catholic school, versus, say Grace for example, who has lower student-teacher ratio, comparable cost, and has done better overall over the last 4 years athletically than Catholic has done? As a Protestant man myself, I can't imagine sending one of my sons to a school who doctrinally doesn't believe what we believe. I don't mean to be invasive, but it's an interesting situation to say the least.

And I did a check on both sites, CAK and Catholic are priced at about $800 difference for non-Catholic families. And about $2,800 difference for Catholic families.

I'll save the true answer until the end but there are several factors that entered into the choice of schooling. Academically I think Catholic is much stronger than the other two schools you mentioned. I feel the teachers are much stronger at Catholic as well as a broader base of academic class selections. Athletically Catholic was much stronger than either of the two in the three sports my son played. In four years he never lost to either of those two schools in basketball. He played in two state basketball tournaments while at Catholic. He was able to letter in basketball and baseball as a freshman, played football as a senior. Made All-State in football and basketball. He also grew up playing youth sports with many of the kids that attended Catholic. The athletic facilities were far superior at the time compared to Grace and CAK. Socially, I liked the diversity you pointed out earlier regarding Catholic (unlike the perception of all rich private school kids, there is a WIDE range of incomes attending Catholic). My wife attended Webb and her father and sister both teacher there so that was a consideration. Ironically, we 're Baptist and my family now attends Grace. We were zoned for Karns but didn't really consider that as a option. There were some philosophical reasons we didn't consider CAK.

The main reason we attended however was mom teaching and coaching at Catholic for over 25 years now.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did he pay tuition for whole year ?? Say he paid for full year ... Can he come back to Knox Cath in fall and the tuition already be paid since he didnt got to school there in 2nd semester ??  i know sounds wierd ..but if he paid for a full year tuition .. why would you walk away from that .. same thing with the other kids .. how is tuition paid ?? monthly or qtrly or yearly ??

That's an interesting question. Most people pay monthly so I would assume they would just stop paying at the break.

So did he pay tuition for whole year ?? Say he paid for full year ... Can he come back to Knox Cath in fall and the tuition already be paid since he didnt got to school there in 2nd semester ?? i know sounds wierd ..but if he paid for a full year tuition .. why would you walk away from that .. same thing with the other kids .. how is tuition paid ?? monthly or qtrly or yearly ??

While some schools do want tuition upfront Catholic gives you the option to pay monthly. I (like most of the parents at the school) pay monthly for my children to attend. Both of my kids play sports (have started in varsity sports since their freshmen year), we are Catholic, and we are apart of the diverse student population (in other words we are black). I attended Catholic schools from K-12 while growing up in Illinois. Catholic's strong academics played a major part in my wife's and I choice to send them to KCHS. My kids played AAU, Catholic Youth Football, and KYS basketball with many of the students that are there now and they wanted to play with their friends. I'm far from rich but the financial sacrifice my wife and I made to send them to Catholic has been well worth it.

Edited by QSouth89

While some schools do want tuition upfront Catholic gives you the option to pay monthly. I (like most of the parents at the school) pay monthly for my children to attend. Both of my kids play sports (have started in varsity sports since their freshmen year), and we are Catholic and we are apart of the diverse student population (in other words we are black). I attended Catholic schools from K-12 while growing up in Illinois. Catholic's strong academics played a major part in my wife's and I choice to send them to KCHS. My kids played AAU, Catholic Youth Football, and KYS basketball with many of the students that are there now and they wanted to play with their friends. I'm far from rich but the financial sacrifice my wife and I made to send them to Catholic has been well worth it.

Agree 100% but I'm white and far from rich too since I have a teacher's salary in the mix. But I don't think we've missed too many meals. LOL Edited by IrishBBall

I'll save the true answer until the end but there are several factors that entered into the choice of schooling. Academically I think Catholic is much stronger than the other two schools you mentioned. I feel the teachers are much stronger at Catholic as well as a broader base of academic class selections. Athletically Catholic was much stronger than either of the two in the three sports my son played. In four years he never lost to either of those two schools in basketball. He played in two state basketball tournaments while at Catholic. He was able to letter in basketball and baseball as a freshman, played football as a senior. Made All-State in football and basketball. He also grew up playing youth sports with many of the kids that attended Catholic. The athletic facilities were far superior at the time compared to Grace and CAK. Socially, I liked the diversity you pointed out earlier regarding Catholic (unlike the perception of all rich private school kids, there is a WIDE range of incomes attending Catholic). My wife attended Webb and her father and sister both teacher there so that was a consideration. Ironically, we 're Baptist and my family now attends Grace. We were zoned for Karns but didn't really consider that as a option. There were some philosophical reasons we didn't consider CAK.

The main reason we attended however was mom teaching and coaching at Catholic for over 25 years now.

Again, none of my business, but how do you approach the bible classes then, which I imagine are very far off doctrinally what you believe? Have you found this to be an issue at any point when your child is being taught something 5 days a week that is very different than what you believe?

And since I'm already being nosy, would you care to share what the fundamental differences you had with CAK that you did not have with Grace?

Thanks for entertaining my questions, like I said, the idea of sending my Protestant family to Catholic school seems completely out of the question because I don't believe what they'd be teaching my boys, and I don't want my boys confusing their doctrine with ours. I appreciate it IrishBball

Again, none of my business, but how do you approach the bible classes then, which I imagine are very far off doctrinally what you believe? Have you found this to be an issue at any point when your child is being taught something 5 days a week that is very different than what you believe?

And since I'm already being nosy, would you care to share what the fundamental differences you had with CAK that you did not have with Grace?

Thanks for entertaining my questions, like I said, the idea of sending my Protestant family to Catholic school seems completely out of the question because I don't believe what they'd be teaching my boys, and I don't want my boys confusing their doctrine with ours. I appreciate it IrishBball

Irishbball's son graduated in 2008 from Catholic but Catholicism isn't the only ideology taught. Every religion is looked at and is a focus of study in religion class. They just don't teach Catholic ideas. I attended Catholic schools up North and we learned about ALL of the religions. People who are not associated with the school (or simply just don't know) assume that the Catholic religion is being forced fed to the students and I assure you, that is not the case. There are a lot of non Catholic students attending the school and shockingly, they don't play sports. There are a lot of teachers at KCHS who are not Catholic as well. The emphasis of education is the goal of the school. Those top 50 academic ranking the schools has over the years attest to the strength of the school. Your Protestant belief is your right and how you raise your sons and what you teach them is your business but to make a statement like that then question Irishbball about why he chose to send his child to Catholic is also his right and choice. My daddy once said there are two things you never discuss in public: politics and religion. I hope I didn't offend you sir. Edited by QSouth89

Irishbball's son graduated in 2008 from Catholic but Catholicism isn't the only ideology taught. Every religion is looked at and is a focus of study in religion class. They just don't teach Catholic ideas. I attended Catholic schools up North and we learned about ALL of the religions. People who are not associated with the school (or simply just don't know) assume that the Catholic religion is being forced fed to the students and I assure you, that is not the case. There are a lot of non Catholic students attending the school and shockingly, they don't play sports. There are a lot of teachers at KCHS who are not Catholic as well. The emphasis of education is the goal of the school. Those top 50 academic ranking the schools has over the years attest to the strength of the school. Your Protestant belief is your right and how you raise your sons and what you teach them is your business but to make a statement like that then question Irishbball about why he chose to send his child to Catholic is also his right and choice. My daddy once said there are two things you never discuss in public: politics and religion. I hope I didn't offend you sir.

Not offended one bit, and most certainly not trying to offend anyone either. Don't know if this matters, but I went to a Catholic school in 1st grade in Texas. Long time ago for sure, but I remember not getting an A in religion class because I didn't attend mass like the rest of the students. While that was eons ago and I'm hopeful that catholic schools today aren't grading the same way, I don't think it is some terrible assumption that a Catholic school, the same as a Baptist school or whatever, specifically teaches their doctrine. If they don't, what even makes them a ________ school? (fill in the blank). I'm actually sort of surprised at your statements Q that Catholic, basically, isn't a Catholic school by any other method than their funding. Would you say that's correct? I'm not trying to find some loophole to hang your school by, I'm really interested and there's no other avenue with which to ask these questions.

As QSouth said, the Catholic ideology isn't forced upon the kids. I viewed it as an opportunity to learn about different religions and their beliefs. As long as they teach John 3:16, I'm good. LOL. Q also points out that several of the staff aren't Catholic which is correct. We even had a Muslim teacher last year. I was more concerned with the quality of the teachers vs. their belief. My son attended Mass during school but I certainly don't thnk his grade depended on attendance or adherence to Catholic doctrine.

There are some AP Science classes that CAK can't teach due to their strict beliefs. They also require their teachers to sign a contract that forbids any consumption of alcohol at any time. I don't drink but I think that puts some teachers in a precarious position. I'm not sold on the idea of friends having to have their dinner wine poured into a coffe cup in case some "sees" them drinking. Again that is a philosophical difference. I have friends that teach at CAK, Grace and Webb as well as Catholic.

Q may be simplifying the Catholic approach but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your last couple of sentences. I think he would attest to the fact that my son was able to take advantage of a great education and athletic career by attending Catholic. I don't mind answering these questions at all and I'm certainly not offended by you asking.

Q may be simplifying the Catholic approach but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your last couple of sentences. I think he would attest to the fact that my son was able to take advantage of a great education and athletic career by attending Catholic. I don't mind answering these questions at all and I'm certainly not offended by you asking.

I guess my last couple sentences, and anyone can answer this, boils down to this not so simple question: What makes Knoxville Catholic

High School Catholic besides the affiliation and funding from the church?