McGavock team has broke up

Guest Smartguy

The fact is a Coach made a decision he felt was in the best interest of his team. FACT. Accept it. A player makes a choice to play for a team, and therefore must accept the decisions made by the Coach.

Anyone that brings up the race card in this argument in any way, shape, or form, is absolutely ridiculous. This is not a racist situation. This is a black coach who has made a rule about the hairstyle of his players, in order to try to clean up his program.

Fact is, McGavock is a school that has always had a ton of talent, and always underachieved, in large part due to attitudes and individualism. So now you are going to blame a coach who is trying to do something that in his opinion will help his team 1)shed a lable 2)become more of a 'team' and 3)win more ballgames??? Come on now-if you think you could do a better job getting cohesiveness and victories out of an inter-city team with a history of struggles and underacheiving, then get a coaching job, and do it yourself. I respect Coach Harris for this decision, and I hope that the kids buy into it, and end up with a very successful season.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dice, he's not kicking them off for having braids before he said to get rid of them. THAT is what ex post facto is. Whether they had them before is inconsequential, if they had them after he said to cut them, it is not ex post facto to kick them off for not cutting them. He has every right to make a rule like that. If the players don't want to obey it, they have two choices...1) Don't play or 2) Transfer somewhere without the no-braid rule.

they are not horrible people, just immature kids making a stand for something they believe in...their right to have braids. Unfortunately, in sports, they do not have this right, as shown by court rulings. The coach is the coach is the coach. He has the right and responsibliity to change rules as needed, as shown by court rulings. Sorry, but that is the way it is. If braids mean more to them than basketball, then that choice has to be lived with by the coach and the players.

This next statement is very tongue in cheek, so take it that way...if the braids are so important, the players can go buy some and put them on after games and practice.

I understand what ya'll are trying to say, I was just saying that I felt the players had some valid, if not good, points. I wasn't accusing you, Opperman, of this, but that's the feeling I was getting as I was reading some of the posts. I just thought it was ridiculous to think that braids meant that someone was dealing drugs or anything like that because they had braids.