McGavock team has broke up

Guest Smartguy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Ou812, appearance is everything. Wait a minute, I have a tatoo! ;)

I, along with others, applaud the coach. Unity and discipline are very important in basketball. I'm sure at some point we will have to hear about civil rights violations. Kids have rights. I know I will get hammered for this, but I believe what the coach says goes, if you don't like it, you have the RIGHT to quit the team.

Life is about choices, the test of one's character is how you deal with the result of your choice.

Why does team discipline have to equate with hair styles. Braids are considered by many as a cultural hair style. If a black coach were to require his white players to wear braids would there be more of a cry against him? The fact that people are judged by the way they look is the problem of the onlooker not the one being judged. Someone mentioned tattoos earlier, what the heck does tattoos have to do with anything? Are people so closed minded they cannot let the personality of a person speak louder than the appearance of them? Was Bill Walton a bad player or a bad person because he decided to wear his hair long and play with a beard? I'm not sure but I think he has since decided for himself to cut his hair and beard and has continued to be successful. Coaches don't fight battles just because you can win them, fight the ones that need to be fought. A kid refusing to wear team shoes or team sweats is more of a problem than a kid with his hair in braids.

This is high school not the pros. Bill Walton wore his hair long in the pros not college. Check your facts. Coach Wooden wouldn't allow this either during the 70's at UCLA! Story goes that he came to practice with a beard after a brief Christmas break, Coach Wooden pulled him to the side and told him that this was against the team policy. Bill said that he was an adult and felt he should have a say so about his appearence. Coach Wooden told him he respected his wishes and that the team would miss him. Bill immediately went and shaved and came back to practice.

Crazyvol - grow your hair however you like, but watch the game from the stands. :)

As for any litigation on behalf of the players, this will be a waste of time. Several years ago (maybe 8-9), then Hendersonville High School football head coach, Robert Lassiter, banned long hair, facial hair, and other forms of "self-expressive" hair styles. He was sued by a white player and his father b/c the player had long hair and Lassiter kicked the player off the team. Short story, athletics is a privilege and the judge ruled in favor of Coach Lassiter and the school system. Today, at HHS and Gallatin HS, the same rules regarding hair styles are in effect across the board, no matter color of skin.

Let me be the first to say that I don't know the specifics of the situation, so I am speaking a bit out of ignorance.

First, discipline is necessary in order to have a successful basketball program. In fact, discipline is necessary to be successful at anything. That doesn't mean that an undisciplined team can't have success. But there is a difference between a good team and a good program. McGavock may have a good team, but Maplewood has a good program.

Second, discipline has nothing to do with hair-styles/tattoos/clothes. It has to do with sacrificing one's individuality for the success of the team. Having an outrageous tattoo is not meant to make your team great, it is meant to bring attention to yourself. (I hope that made sense.) It is all about a state of mind. A coach who has a rule about hair cuts immediately knows who will sacrifice for the team.

All that being said, here is my problem with how this is being handled. Coaches can't decide two weeks into the season that everyone needs to get a haircut. It needs to be stated up front, so when a player shows up the first day of practice with long hair, he is sent home. It also needs to be consistent throughout the year. Maybe Mr. Tribue stepped in and told Coach Harris that this needed to be done, but I doubt it. Crazebear even said that Coach Harris did this same thing a few years ago. A coach shouldn't change midstream.

Regardless, guys, cut your hair our don't complain about not playing.

Chalk up another victory to ignorance and closed mindedness. While I agree high school athletics is a choice and players can either follow the rules or leave, I do believe, however that many kids benefit from participation. Sending a kid away who has braids sends the message the kid is not good enough because of the way he looks. I bet many of these kids get that message alot. Belonging to a basketball team is a tremendous honor. It has the ability to change a person's life forever. Deny a kid who has the potential to go either way in life, good or bad, is an injustice to them. I wonder if any of the people supporting these rules are the parents of un-athletic clean-cut players who are benefitting from increased playing time? It is clear to me that I am in the minority here, and that means I am not welcome, because participating on a message board is a choice not a right. ;)

crazyvol....you are missing the point...this is not about style of hair...it is about a choice...

if a kid thinks his hair style is more important than team rules, well too bad....he made the choice, not the program.... the analogy that you use does nothing but prove what is wrong with many young people and adults..... you care more about yourself, how you look, possessions that you have, what you wear, etc.. than the bigger picture...it should be what can i do for you or the team, vs what can you do for me...

think about it....

i got kicked off the team because the coach would not let (ME) wear my hair the way (I) wanted it...

i got arrested for selling drugs because (I) had to do that to survive

i got suspended from school because (I) was not going to let that teacher disrespect (ME).....

again, good job coach....you are doing something that many parents don't know how to do......that is TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL.....