CAK 2015

Govolsknox

I don't have any information on this at all. All I know is that they only recently played 2 years, and it was a home and home, right? My guess is that it will cycle back around and they will be on each others schedule again at some point with another home and home. I will say from my opinion, Catholic and CAK played at a time that was very good for Catholic. CAK was very tough in 2011 and 2012, and rebuilding in 2013 and 2014. Still 2013 came right down to the wire. Personally, I would like to see them play this year. But I don't get a vote B)

I'm assuming if CAK would have continued to played Catholic after the 2002 season (especially from 2003-2008 when the the Irish went 71-6) I'm sure they would have played CAK in 2011 and 2012 instead of playing teams like Rhea County, Smith County, Baylor and so on.  It could have developed into a nice rivalry. Maybe down the road they will play.  Who knows.

I'm assuming if CAK would have continued to played Catholic after the 2002 season (especially from 2003-2008 when the the Irish went 71-6) I'm sure they would have played CAK in 2011 and 2012 instead of playing teams like Rhea County, Smith County, Baylor and so on.  It could have developed into a nice rivalry. Maybe down the road they will play.  Who knows.

I agree, it might have turned into a nice rivalry. Of course, CAK had just started their football program, and for a time, Catholic was 2 divisions larger at 5A if memory serves, while CAK was 3A. I'm not sure CAK would have been ready to play Catholic until 2010, possibly 2009. I would have taken Catholic in 2003 - 2008, CAK from 2009 or 10 - 2012 which includes the back to back Championship years. CAK was poised to win in 2013, but squandered it away with a poor decision by a player at the end zone, and Catholic was dominant in 2014. Thinking back, the years that CAK was strong, Catholic was not at their best, and vice versa.

It will be interesting to see if they end up scheduled in the near future. Hopefully it will be at a time when they are fairly evenly matched and both teams have a chance to win. That would be a great atmosphere for the students, parents, fans, and players. And a very short bus ride at about 1/2 mile. :huh:

Edited by Govolsknox

I agree, it might have turned into a nice rivalry. Of course, CAK had just started their football program, and for a time, Catholic was 2 divisions larger at 5A if memory serves, while CAK was 3A. I'm not sure CAK would have been ready to play Catholic until 2010, possibly 2009. I would have taken Catholic in 2003 - 2008, CAK from 2009 or 10 - 2012 which includes the back to back Championship years. CAK was poised to win in 2013, but squandered it away with a poor decision by a player at the end zone, and Catholic was dominant in 2014. Thinking back, the years that CAK was strong, Catholic was not at their best, and vice versa.

It will be interesting to see if they end up scheduled in the near future. Hopefully it will be at a time when they are fairly evenly matched and both teams have a chance to win. That would be a great atmosphere for the students, parents, fans, and players. And a very short bus ride at about 1/2 mile. :huh:

I would agree with you there.  I had forgotten that CAK's first season of football was 2001, that would explain the lack of history. In basketball they've played for about 25 years or so. Catholic was in D2 till 2004; 3A from 2005-2008, and then 5A from 2009-12. Catholic's 2009 team was a mystery, they had a new coach but most of the players back from a state championship team.  Strange season, but moving to 5A didn't help either.

Edited by QSouth89

I would agree with you there.  I had forgotten that CAK's first season of football was 2001, that would explain the lack of history. In basketball they've played for about 25 years or so. Catholic was in D2 till 2004; 3A from 2005-2008, and then 5A from 2009-12. Catholic's 2009 team was a mystery, they had a new coach but most of the players back from a state championship team.  Strange season, but moving to 5A didn't help either.

Yes I don't think anyone saw that coming for Catholic in 2009. I was expecting that to be a tough team, even with a new coach. I just don't think that system really fit like he thought it would....

I enjoy watching CAK play second to Maryville because of the offensive they run. They sure have a good QB and I remember him playing in the eighth grade and I could tell he would be good in high school. I knew the family from Maryville that had a son that played on the State Championship Team and through  watching him I loved their offense. That's the way I like to see football played. Take me to most other places because of being spoiled by the way GQ runs his offense and I'm ready to go home before the second quarter but watching CAK is a real treat.

• Upvote 1

I enjoy watching CAK play second to Maryville because of the offensive they run. They sure have a good QB and I remember him playing in the eighth grade and I could tell he would be good in high school. I knew the family from Maryville that had a son that played on the State Championship Team and through watching him I loved their offense. That's the way I like to see football played. Take me to most other places because of being spoiled by the way GQ runs his offense and I'm ready to go home before the second quarter but watching CAK is a real treat.

Wish I shared you enthusiasm Barney. But both times I watched CAK play it was a very painful experience. LOL!!

I think CAK and Catholic would be a great matchup this year. Would be much closer than last year I think.  The 3 CAK, Webb and Catholic should play every year regardless of district alignments etc.  I know they play in other sports.  Would be a lot of fun if they played

I enjoy watching CAK play second to Maryville because of the offensive they run. They sure have a good QB and I remember him playing in the eighth grade and I could tell he would be good in high school. I knew the family from Maryville that had a son that played on the State Championship Team and through  watching him I loved their offense. That's the way I like to see football played. Take me to most other places because of being spoiled by the way GQ runs his offense and I'm ready to go home before the second quarter but watching CAK is a real treat.

GQ runs a class program, on and off the field. Nothing but respect for that guy and his program. I agree with you though Barney, CAK is a fun team to watch. It's just an exciting style of offense, but particularly when they have the personnel to run CRB's system the way it is intended. I would enjoy watching it even if I didn't have any particular interest in the school.

Wish I shared you enthusiasm Barney. But both times I watched CAK play it was a very painful experience. LOL!!

I truly understand BPM. It is tough to be on the wrong side of it, and particularly the two years you guys played us. Even tougher that a championship was on the line. You would have fared much better the last 2 years. I will say that Arkel Coleman gave me nightmares before the 2012 game. That guy was a beast, and Milan played with class, which I respect regardless of outcome. They were well coached, disciplined, and gave 100%. Having faced Alcoa when WE were outmatched, that is the thing that I loved about our boys more than the outcome; that they fought every second of that game, and that is all you can ask for. Your young men did the same.

I think CAK and Catholic would be a great matchup this year. Would be much closer than last year I think.  The 3 CAK, Webb and Catholic should play every year regardless of district alignments etc.  I know they play in other sports.  Would be a lot of fun if they played

I do too! In fact, as much as I respect those 2 programs, I can tell you that beating them (or losing to them) means more to me than most other games (not named Alcoa). I will say that both teams have a pretty brutal schedule, and with the current playoff criteria, I just don't know that it is in any of their best interest to play the other 2 year in year out. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.