William Blount @Heritage

Governm

Unless something changes with the schools in Blount County, you are

delusional to think that HHS or WBHS will ever be good in football on a

consistent basis. Both schools have been around going on 40 years now, and

you would probably struggle to find 15 winning seasons between them.

Over the years, you have had dozens of kids that would have made the county schools much better, move or pull shenanigans to go line up for playing

time and a ring at one of the city schools.

You might have sporadic 2 or 3 year periods when the stars align and they

have a winning record, but that is all the county schools can ever expect.

Over the years, you have had dozens of kids that would have made the county schools much better, move or pull shenanigans to go line up for playing

I disagree... The difference between the county schools and the city schools is the fact that the city schools have consistently been committed to having winning programs. If the County Schools step up their game we can be successful too. We may not be able to reach the level of success that Maryville and Alcoa have reached but we can produce teams that are relevant and competitive every year.

I know I will catch it for saying this but...on some level Alcoa and Maryville don't want WB or Heritage to have really good teams. If WB were to improve then many of the kids that make Maryville and Alcoa such strong and deep programs would no longer transfer/move to those programs. If WB is better those other schools get worse. Probably not significantly worse, but it would cost them a few of their really good players every year.

I know I will catch it for saying this but...on some level Alcoa and Maryville don't want WB or Heritage to have really good teams. If WB were to improve then many of the kids that make Maryville and Alcoa such strong and deep programs would no longer transfer/move to those programs. If WB is better those other schools get worse. Probably not significantly worse, but it would cost them a few of their really good players every year.

As long as it's only the alcoa kids that move back, then there will be no issues.

Yeah, that "Jon to Brent" pass was one of the greatest highlight memories for me in 35-36 years of WB football.  And as far as the the "watching it instead" ... I see ET's point.  I will be real surprised if from a purely entertainment standpoint, the WB / Heritage game isn't more exciting than the Maryville / Alcoa game.  I'm not talking about the "talent level" or "quality of play".  I just expect that the  final score of the "county game" will be much closer than the final score of the "city game."  Like many others, I hate that I can't watch both games.

I understand what etcoach is saying-only picking a little. There is no doubt he is the most excited while doing the broadcast of the govs. You two need to raise everybody else's standards in LA.

Here's some actual statistical data for the Punisher from the WB perspective:

From 1979 to 1990 the Govs managed one .500 season, with the rest being losing seasons (Mike White & Steve Gordon)

In 91 the Govs go 8-2 (seems like Oak Ridge demolished us first round of playoffs that year) (Steve Gordon)

From here through 1996, the Govs have five more losing seasons. (Gordon and Steve Fickert)

From 1997 through 2003, the Govs were .500 or better every season (Fickert, Earl McMahan, John Reid, Ronnie Phelps)

From 2004 - 2007, the Govs have 1 losing season and 3 winning seasons (Scott Meadows)

From 2007 till now, its been all losing seasons for the Govs.

Here's some actual statistical data for the Punisher from the WB perspective:

From 1979 to 1990 the Govs managed one .500 season, with the rest being losing seasons (Mike White & Steve Gordon)

In 91 the Govs go 8-2 (seems like Oak Ridge demolished us first round of playoffs that year) (Steve Gordon)

From here through 1996, the Govs have five more losing seasons. (Gordon and Steve Fickert)

From 1997 through 2003, the Govs were .500 or better every season (Fickert, Earl McMahan, John Reid, Ronnie Phelps)

From 2004 - 2007, the Govs have 1 losing season and 3 winning seasons (Scott Meadows)

From 2007 till now, its been all losing seasons for the Govs.

CoachT has the records back to 2001, so thanks for the data before that.

Heritage has been 4-6 twice since 2001, and everything else is below that.

I think they had a few decent years between 1978 to 2000, but not many.

15 seasons out of 73 for the 2 schools above .500 including playoff losses

is probably a stretch.

I disagree completely. This sounds like the victim mentality that is becoming pervasive in modern society.

I refute your argument  by presenting the four year coaching span of one Scott Meadows.

2007      8-2-0   1-1-0      9-3-0

2006      6-4-0   1-1-0      7-5-0

2005      6-4-0   0-1-0      6-5-0

2004      3-7-0   0-0-0      3-7-0

Edited by Red Rebels

I disagree completely. This sounds like the victim mentality that is becoming pervasive in modern society.

I refute your argument by presenting the four year coaching span of one Scott Meadows.

2007 8-2-0 1-1-0 9-3-0

2006 6-4-0 1-1-0 7-5-0

2005 6-4-0 0-1-0 6-5-0

2004 3-7-0 0-0-0 3-7-0

Exactly. And notice how we had our best year after Meadows (a good coach) was there for 3 years. WB's problem has been a lack of good coaches and when we get them they don't stay around too long. If we can keep Shad around we will have consistent success.

I refute your argument  by presenting the four year coaching span of one Scott Meadows.

2007      8-2-0   1-1-0      9-3-0

2006      6-4-0   1-1-0      7-5-0

2005      6-4-0   0-1-0      6-5-0

2004      3-7-0   0-0-0      3-7-0

Or it could just be the stars aligning and a group of good athletes came

through during that time period with a good coach. The baseball team was

good during that time as well. Since then, not so much in either sport.

Even George Quarles can't coach up a mule to win the KY Derby.