Dobbuns Bent-It vs. Mairvul

STARSNBARS

Mountain Rebel,

What I don't understand is how people defend this crap by saying Dobbs can't throw a long pass down field when we are loaded at the receiver position. I saw Dobbs throw a number of passes down Field last year for big gains and touchdowns. So what happened? Did he just magically lose that ability or could it just be that our offensive coordinator sucks and is too conservative?

I will tell you why their not throwing, the receivers they have can't break free is one of the problems. Most of those big four and five star receivers have turned out to be bust and losing Croom was a killer and Howard being injured didn't help. What was supposed  to be our strength has turned out to be the weakness. I knew when all this crap hit the news stands this summer would set expectations sky high and now reality has set in. If we had Maggitt the second half of the Oklahoma game we win, that plain. Had we not lost Gaulden and Maggitt on defense and the suspension of O'Brien at DT and Croom and Howard (hurt) and Jackson at guard we win at Florida also. Now lets talk Maryville Football. I see this as a 28-14 ballgame this week and expect a better showing from DB than in the past. I may change that as the week goes forward but for now that's the way it looks.

Barney,

Play calling got us beat in both games plain and simple. I mean why in the heck do you get conservative with the play calling and run the ball 3 times in a row when you are only up 6 in the 4th Qtr? And then why do you not send an all out blitz on a freshman QB on 4th and 14th to win the game? Why do you let a freshman QB have all the time in the world to be a hero and throw a TD pass in that situation? If you send the house and sack the QB the game is over! I guarantee you if the shoe was on the opposite foot florida would have sent an all out blit at us. That's just 2 examples of the boneheaded coaching decisions.

Edited by Governors91

I will tell you why their not throwing, the receivers they have can't break free is one of the problems. Most of those big four and five star receivers have turned out to be bust and losing Croom was a killer and Howard being injured didn't help. What was supposed  to be our strength has turned out to be the weakness. I knew when all this crap hit the news stands this summer would set expectations sky high and now reality has set in. If we had Maggitt the second half of the Oklahoma game we win, that plain. Had we not lost Gaulden and Maggitt on defense and the suspension of O'Brien at DT and Croom and Howard (hurt) and Jackson at guard we win at Florida also. Now lets talk Maryville Football. I see this as a 28-14 ballgame this week and expect a better showing from DB than in the past. I may change that as the week goes forward but for now that's the way it looks.

Agree on the Rebel game BS. The Indians on film play hard to the final whistle.

Barney,

Play calling got us beat in both games plain and simple. I mean why in the heck do you get conservative with the play calling and run the ball 3 times in a row when you are only up 6 in the 4th Qtr? And then why do you not send an all out blitz on a freshman QB on 4th and 14th to win the game? Why do you let a freshman QB have all the time in the world to be a hero and throw a TD pass in that situation? If you send the house and sack the QB the game is over! I guarantee you if the shoe was on the opposite foot florida would have sent an all out blit at us. That's just 2 examples of the boneheaded coaching decisions.

Your solution is how we got here in the first place. I agree with some boneheaded play calling but what you can't seem to understand is that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ####.and some of those injuries and recruitment bust are why we can only do certain things. but it will get better. You look for Tennessee to make your life all better on the weekends after a usually horrible Friday Night and having to eat crow all morning Saturday made by your own doings. . Mountain Rebel your right about DB playing to the end. My biggest worry is that this game falls on the weekend of the fall break and the team will be playing to a larger visitor crowd than a home crowd. I'm very worried about that when a young man on the sidelines looks into the home stands and see's as much maroon as Red & Black.

Edited by BarneySox2007

Now lets talk Maryville Football. I see this as a 28-14 ballgame this week and expect a better showing from DB than in the past. I may change that as the week goes forward but for now that's the way it looks.

If DB plays Maryville to within 14 points,it's one of probably 3 things.1,DB has played a great game and are a much better team at this point then I thought they would be.2,Maryville has done everything that you don't see a normal Maryville team doing.Turn the ball over and lots of mistakes.3,Maryville is not as good as they have been and the run is over.I'll go ahead and say the first part of number is out because it looks like Maryville is still very good.Time will tell if they can win the whole thing again.

A lot of this crap is brought on by the hype the press feeds us and we eat it up like candy. Dooley destroyed Tennessee and this is still a young team and when the fan base that knows so much about football that works on a 40 hour job somewhere non related to the sport starts mouthing off is usually when future recruiting gets hurt. I personally have always thought the man to run the offense is coaching at Maryville High but that will never happen because the good ole buddies club in college football's saying is that you have to pay a price by going through the system to get that opportunity which is BS. Jones will make it but he will be forced at the end of the year to make a few changes in the staff.

he doesnt want to get mixed up in that 💩

Hope you are right about UT Barn! I'm sure there will be some changes this off season, but not at the coordinator positions. If Butch changes offensive coordinator, then I'm afraid he will be without a job the following year. It will be hard for them to recruit a decent wideout as it is. 4 games into the season, and no passing game what so ever, none,nada,zero, zilch. He has the players and coaches in place. Butch needs to do what he was paid to do!

it would be funny if Butch finished the season at 7-5 went to a bowl game and then left UT. These Tennessee fans today dont know 💩 about the game and are fair weather for the most part. Yes there have been some bad calls made from the box/sideline but this team is heading in the right direction. There will be growing pains. FYI TN fans the Vols will not win the National Championship this year.

Barney,

Shad is a really good coach and this is just his first year. 2 of the 3 losses are against teams that almost nobody thought we could beat so that wasn't much of a surprise. The only true letdown was against Bearden and that's a team we always play like crap against. But other than that there's been lots of positives. Meanwhile Butch Jones is in year 3 and still finding ways to lose all the big games despite having teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. All Butch has done to this point is bring in big recruits but if he keeps losing all of these big games he won't be able to keep getting those big recruits to come. That's why this year is put up or shut up for him. If we end this year going 5-7,6-6,or even 7-5 recruits are going to know he is full of BS.

maybe you should put your resume in there guru.

it would be funny if Butch finished the season at 7-5 went to a bowl game and then left UT. These Tennessee fans today dont know about the game and are fair weather for the most part. Yes there have been some bad calls made from the box/sideline but this team is heading in the right direction. There will be growing pains. FYI TN fans the Vols will not win the National Championship this year.

Like every thing the VOLS are doing! Just need to win the games that they should. In both losses the pattern was playing not to lose. Butch needs to make a gutsy call now and then to show he's about winning a competitive game. Especially when it's late in the game and there is a chance to win.