Henry County @ Dickson County

redblooded

Back in those days, having Teague/Allen/McFerren/Sims to name a few could matchup with anyone, especially in the offense we ran.  I have no problem saying that.  In the Counce era things have changed a little bit, but like you said, it's turned into a more of a smashmouth style. We get our fast guys in cycles and random years just like most anywhere else.  For a while in the late mid to late 2000s, we had a load of them.  I obviously don't think this year's team is the fastest in HC history, but they play hard and it shows.  We've still got some burners. 3 has wowed me more than once with his acceleration and you can catch yourself staring at the back of 7's jersey pretty easily if you're not careful.  One of the biggest things that I think is not pointed out enough is how fast our LB's flow to the ball.  

Also, I get your "5 to 1" comment.  What narrows that gap in my opinion is weeding some out by asking "are they athletes or football players"? That goes back to how lucky we've been to have top notch coaches.  

That is the key to success at Henry County in a nutshell. Having a staff of assistant coaches who MANY schools would kill to have as their head coach is definitely the recipe for success.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed Kills. Believe it or not, Henry County is not blessed with a tremendous amount of athletes. They win football games the old fashioned way...smash mouth. If you compare the Henry County football team to Dickson, Clarksville, etc. they match up pretty well. Lined up against Liberty, Ridgeway, the old Melrose, and other Memphis teams, it's not even close. So, with that being said, Henry County has to be perfect when they play these teams. No margin for error against that kind of speed and athleticism. 

Liberty has always had speed, but the last 2 years it has been their physicality as much as anything else. Their current crop of linemen is probably the best they've ever had. I remember watching them obliterate us in a freshman game a couple of years ago. I knew right then and there Liberty was gonna be pretty tough for at least a few years, and so far they haven't disappointed.

The teams that give us the most trouble are usually the ones that have a good blend of speed and power. But, you could pretty well say that about anyone...

Also, Melrose? Didn't we go like 4-1 against them under Gaddis? Seems like we've struggled more with the Nashville area teams than we ever have with Memphis. Ridgeway was an exception last year, of course.   

Facts, I'm sure you remember the lady who came on our thread complaining about our lack of class for coming on the field post game for the team prayer and celebration three years ago.. I don't remember if she was a parent, staff or just a fan but she felt that  we disrespected them for doing this during their singing of their alma mater, apparently a DC post game tradition.What do you recall about that situation?

GO BIG RED

Was she the one who told Red Warrior he needed Christ? Or was that a Springfield poster? 

Lol..That remains the funniest conversation I've ever read on here. 

3-1 against Melrose.  All 3 wins were great games, especially the one at home.  I'd say the play Sims made at the end of that game is one of the more legendary plays in HC history.  

As far as the midstate goes...

The 2 losses to Hillsboro were totally different games.  The first game we just got flat out whipped, but they had a great team and it was a testament to the heart of that HC team to be in the semifinals that year.  2008 is still painful to think about.  Just a weird game.  There were a ton of athletes on that field that night.  Couple of bad bounces, which is a shame, because I feel like HC would have beaten Maryville that year just as Hillsboro did.

Maplewood was another heartbreaker.  They didn't outmuscle us, though.  The only midstate game I've seen us get whipped at the line of scrimmage terribly was the 2010 second round game against Hendersonville, but we were young.  Gallatin 09 was a great game in which HC should have closed the door in during the first half, but Gallatin made some great adjustments and took home a great win.  Beech having a mack truck carrying the ball was our main issue against them.

I agree that the blend of speed and power is what gives us the most trouble.  If Liberty had 5A numbers and could fill in some of those numbers with more athletes like what they have... Well, that'd be interesting to see.  Their front 7 usually gives us fits, but it's great work for the linemen, especially at the beginning of the year.  Like I said, hope that game sticks around.  Nice to see a 3A team play us even when we're up, unlike a certain team a little north of them.  

Sorry for the nostalgia.  Not much to talk about this week.

3-1 against Melrose.  All 3 wins were great games, especially the one at home.  I'd say the play Sims made at the end of that game is one of the more legendary plays in HC history.  

The 2 losses to Hillsboro were totally different games.  The first game we just got flat out whipped, but they had a great team and it was a testament to the heart of that HC team to be in the semifinals that year.  2008 is still painful to think about.  Just a weird game.  There were a ton of athletes on that field that night.  Couple of bad bounces, which is a shame, because I feel like HC would have beaten Maryville that year just as Hillsboro did.

Maplewood was another heartbreaker.  They didn't outmuscle us, though.  The only midstate game I've seen us get whipped at the line of scrimmage terribly was the 2010 second round game against Hendersonville, but we were young.  Gallatin 09 was a great game in which HC should have closed the door in during the first half, but Gallatin made some great adjustments and took home a great win.  Beech having a mack truck carrying the ball was our main issue against them.

I agree that the blend of speed and power is what gives us the most trouble.  If Liberty had 5A numbers and could fill in some of those numbers with more athletes like what they have... Well, that'd be interesting to see.  Their front 7 usually gives us fits, but it's great work for the linemen, especially at the beginning of the year.  Like I said, hope that game sticks around.  Nice to see a 3A team play us even when we're up, unlike a certain team a little north of them.  

Great nostalgia! Love to think back to those teams, fond memories and lots of fun watching them. But watching this Defense play is alot of fun too! Its Thursday and one day away from the Battle of the Barrell! Can't wait to see this one!

Go Big RED!!!

While you guys get fired up for this game it does not mean that much over here or at the school. The paper does not say anything about it and the radio not talking about it. Dicksons season is over after they play Creekwood there in county rivial. They could careless about the barrel that's a Henry county thing. I dislike the way things are over here I would move back but I need a job so here I am.

While you guys get fired up for this game it does not mean that much over here or at the school. The paper does not say anything about it and the radio not talking about it. Dicksons season is over after they play Creekwood there in county rivial. They could careless about the barrel that's a Henry county thing. I dislike the way things are over here I would move back but I need a job so here I am.

Not surprising since they didn't want to continue a 30 year rivalry. Also, it's been awhile since DC has won a game.

The play Sims made to beat Melrose may be the most legendary play in High School football. Incredible. Safety blitz to basically take the handoff and trot 50 yards with the go ahead touchdown with less than a minute to play... That's a movie scripted ending right there.

I was there I was walking out the gate on the school when that happened . I was walking next to a person from Melrose that was going to the car he could not believe it happened . I think there was about 40 sec. left in the game One of the hardest fought high school football I had ever watched.

The play Sims made to beat Melrose may be the most legendary play in High School football. Incredible. Safety blitz to basically take the handoff and trot 50 yards with the go ahead touchdown with less than a minute to play... That's a movie scripted ending right there.

Craziest play I've ever seen given the context. I couldn't believe it and am still shocked by it to this day. Any video of it anywhere?

Olddevil who started the tradition of the barrel I know the game has been going on for about thirty years was it rick kriskey? The barrel thing is only about 10 year old if I am wrong please tell me in a nice way you know how us old people can get. When we are wrong about things.