Week 9: Harriman @ Oneida

crow

Guest Fall101

Hard for me to say without being "there".

Seems like Offense is stagnant due to simple mistakes that haven't been corrected or overcome by week 8. It's time to right the ship. Now or never time on the reservation!

Offense has been bad all year against teams that can stop the run

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great deal of what happened tonight had to do with attitude. In the first half, number 11 for Harriman made a particularly effective tackle on an Oneida player. As the HHS player got to his feet, he backed up slowly and stared down at the OHS player as if to say "no way you win this game, no way." He got a deserved flag for unsportsman-like but that seemed to set the tone for the Harriman team the rest of the game. Swagger, I believe it is called.

My last post got lost in my frustration.  It is hard to reflect on the lack of heart in this ball club.  If I get my bones jumped, so be it......but that effort tonight would leave a bunch of Oneida Players that played in the Orange very bitter with the present group.  Harriman has a good ball team, but they don't hold a candle to some of their finer teams (Copeland teams come to mind).  I've watched around 37 years of Indian Football and can't recall a group that had this poor of an effort.  You can coach X's and O's til you turn blue, but the intensity (which in a large part comes from the players) is just completely invisible.  I know Lambert is invested but he is trying to turn boys into men and it appears quite a few want to stay boys.  It going to take a monumental effort to stay in anyone's conversation.  Even teams that had lesser talent tried to give their all.....especially in what looks to be their last home game.

Kazzy

Thank you! This sums it all up!

Interestingly......I am not ignoring this teams flaws.  Our line is undersized in areas, so if you stack up on us your turning a solid rushing attack into below ordinary because they can't get to the second level.  Bang, Bang, Bang......then punt.  Turn around and toss a few and for whatever reason eventually the drops burn you.  6-0 game in the first on 3rd and 1......the coverage on the outside was #7 vs. #2 straight up and the other 10 players for Harriman were inside 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.  That is a big play waiting to happen....instead we get nothing and punt.  There are several ways to look at that 1) ask Bam to get the yard, which they tried or 2) let the wide out beat his man.  I get it......your also looking at the defender making the play or the receiver not catching it.  In that spot the risk might have been worth it?  You notice I put a question mark there, I not smart enough to coach so if Bam gets the yard then the chains move, but Harriman was going to get way too much penetration with a stacked box there and they did.

Kazzy

Thanks for the hospitality at The Reservation, Crow! You guys are a class act! I certainly was not expecting to come away with that big of a win, but I'll gladly take it. This game next week is incredibly big and these seniors sure do deserve it! Tonight was another impressive outing for us I have to say. On the other hand, this is a totally different Oneida team than in years past. I have faith though that things will turn around for the Indians. Too much pride and tradition up there for it not to!

Talisman, it was swagger and in that case stupidity too, because he turned 3rd and long into an automatic first down.  I do agree with your point in principle......because the fire in that particular play was clearly one sided.  I don't have any voodoo magic in the JuJu Hut when the Tribe don't dance to the drum....!  You think I'm joking but I'm not.

Sure would like to see any of the "foxhole" boys show up or we could be two bus rides from a basketball court.  If that sentence don't make you fight, then not much will.

Kazanity

Guest Fall101

Thanks for the hospitality at The Reservation, Crow! You guys are a class act! I certainly was not expecting to come away with that big of a win, but I'll gladly take it. This game next week is incredibly big and these seniors sure do deserve it! Tonight was another impressive outing for us I have to say. On the other hand, this is a totally different Oneida team than in years past. I have faith though that things will turn around for the Indians. Too much pride and tradition up there for it not to!

Hate that I missed talkin to you and BD maybe sometime we will get to chat it up. On the other hand kinda glad I didn't have to watch us get whipped like that

Guest Fall101

I'll agree Pujo but you and I both know that Oneida usually always puts up more of a fight. They usually never get out hustled. They usually show they have heart and fight till the bitter end. Tonight Pujo there was no sign of heart or willingness to win from what I am hearing.

I'll agree Pujo but you and I both know that Oneida usually always puts up more of a fight. They usually never get out hustled. They usually show they have heart and fight till the bitter end. Tonight Pujo there was no sign of heart or willingness to win from what I am hearing.

Don't sound like Oneida team I'm accustomed to Spike. 

Talisman, it was swagger and in that case stupidity too, because he turned 3rd and long into an automatic first down. I do agree with your point in principle......because the fire in that particular play was clearly one sided. I don't have any voodoo magic in the JuJu Hut when the Tribe don't dance to the drum....! You think I'm joking but I'm not.

Sure would like to see any of the "foxhole" boys show up or we could be two bus rides from a basketball court. If that sentence don't make you fight, then not much will.

Kazanity

Actually kaz it wasn't a 1st down. Next play was 2nd & 1.

Boys we've been blowing all year about heart, effort, drops, this, that and the other but you know what I have come to think? I think one of the hardest thing for a football fan to do, especially in a small town environment, is admit you're not the biggest bull in the field. I've posted it earlier, you can't be better than last year every year ya know. Have we under achieved? Possibly but then again we may have stole 1 along the way also. Tonight they won the line of scrimmage on both sides hands down, we were out weighed across the front by probably an average of 40-45 pounds, their LB's and DB's were faster than our skill and easily contained our outside running game, our passing game was impacted by their D lines ability to apply pressure and their DB's and LB's ability to cover our receivers. Like I said, the better team won tonight.

Oh yeah, and Kazzy, there's no way our #7 beats their #2 one on my one unless #2 trips and falls, to much speed difference there.

Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING WRONG with another team being bigger, stronger, faster or better than you. That's just the way the world is. Now another team giving more heart or giving more effort. . . Well now that's an entirely different matter.

Edited by crow