TSSAA Referees

CoolHandLuke

All of this is beside the point, what kind of people are being allowed to be around these kids. Regardless of there ability, or lack there of, to be a referee. There are TSSAA officials on the field that "may" have police arrest history, but the TSSAA doesn't know, because they do not conduct background check. 25 out of 200+ referees were red flagged in Williamson County two week ago ranging from convictions of child abuse, prostitution, sexual assault and battery on a boy, statutory rape and aggravated rape, lewd acts on a child under 14, and multiple cocaine charges.

The guys I know that referee get $100 a game! They work maybe 2-2 1/2 hours so $40 - $50 an hr is pretty good!! I do agree they need to study the rules more![/quote

]

Wrong football makes less than $100 a game.

No, not wrong! The guys I know that do are the ones I work with! I'm not talking about Jr high either!!

It is amazing how many "fans" think they know the rules of the game better than most officials.  Same goes for media types (my self included) from time to time.  I feel fortunate that the officials in the Jackson Association are a pretty solid group who do a good job.  That group was trained very well by the late Mr. Billy  Schrivner.  Do they miss a call from time to time?  Yes they do.  However, if you go back and look at things without your teams jersey on, you will find that they get it right most all the time.  

It is a thankless job and you are vilified even when you do your job correctly.  They pay is not real good when you consider the time that you have to put in before, during, and after the game.  Throw in the fact that travel expenses come directly out of your own pay and you will find the financial rewards are mediocre at best.  

ame="cardfan" post="3422557"

No, not wrong! The guys I know that do are the ones I work with! I'm not talking about Jr high either!!

Varsity football make $95 a game. The clock official $ 65. They must foot all expenses to and from games plus. To be properly attired ( dress code) they spend on the minimum $250. So before registration and association fees they got to work 2 plus games just to break even.

Throw in the $60 for state registration and then $ 30 for association fees and you are now working at least 4 games. To break even. So you see there are more doing it for the love of the game than there are for the money.

• Upvote 1

Didn't change the game at all, but tonight I saw for the first time ever a head ref get pulled and reassigned to click operator. He flagged us for breaking the huddle with 12 even though the Qb watched until the 12th man was on the sidelines before breaking the huddle. The ref threw the flag and as our coach went to get an explanation he said "it doesn't matter if he gets back off the field" screamed it in fact. He was so sure he was right. So the second half they had a different white hat. Like do they even know the basic rules?

I agree that there are some lazy, worthless HS referees.  There are some good ones and a few great ones in TN.  There always will be some of each.  But, high school football fans, in general, are some of the most ignorant too.  I was given a rule book last season, by a ref buddy, to look up some stuff myself.  And i say it again, high school football fans are ignorant, and I was one of them.  

"Breaking the huddle with 12 men" isn't even a rule in high school football, so I call BS on your post.  ;)

Edited by Pudding