Maryville's baby brother vs. CAK

Govolsknox

9 & 78 have played some meaningful reps in challenging games this year on both sides of the ball and, from what I can tell as a non-expert, have both played quite well. To respond to AM's question/post, those two players have considerably more playing time this year, esp. on offense, than some of the guys who did play on O last night.

So with all due respect, I can't buy the "game of that magnitude" explanation. There was a freshman in at WR on the first play of the game last night who hasn't really played varsity all year, and a RB in much of the game who until recently was a defense-only player (and not a full-time player even on D). I don't have a clue why we didn't see 9 or 78 a single play on O, especially given the obvious difficulty several of the OL were having.

GVK's speculation earlier about the cast on 9's hand is not a bad theory, but I watched warm-ups last night and 9 caught everything thrown to him during RB drills and my information is caught everything thrown to him at practice this week even with the cast. 16 played a couple of games earlier this year with what appears to be the same type of soft cast on his hand. So, it's a bit of a head-scratcher to see guys at RB and WR in a game of this magnitude who have to this point played mostly JV or in mop-up duty in varsity games.

Regarding 24, it's my understanding he is going to be OK but did have a concussion and so should probably be expected to miss at least a week, maybe two.

As always, great insights and thoughts. As far as 9, he has played extremely well when on the field IMO. He was stellar on special teams last year, and when, after injuries, called upon at B back and ILB, he has played extremely well. He is going to be a really good player the next 2 years. He (in my unprofessional opinion) needs to get his pad level down substantially when running the ball, and on defense. He is very strong for his size, but is not fully utilizing his strength yet because he isn't playing low enough. I suspect that will come in the off season if not sooner. I was not aware he was catching everything in warm ups. 16 did play with the same type of cast his brother did, but lets be honest, it may be hard for even coaches attempting to be unbiased not to notice he looks and catches and acts a lot like the national record holder, who continued to light it up with a very broken thumb, and a substantial cast. HOWEVER, that national record holder was a senior when he did all that with a cast on, not a sophomore. Davis's talent could not be missed as a freshman, yet still, he did not get the same opportunities as a freshman as he did as a junior and senior (He was only in on 4 wide, except when there was an injury). Why 9 didn't play more sooner, especially on special teams is a mystery, but once he got his chance, he did great. What happened the last 2 weeks, I have no clue why he was not utilized more.

8 and 27 will probably be great receivers next year, but were not even close to on the same page with the QB last night. And playing a sophomore who has only played defense part time, then putting him at RB on offense was a mystery to me. Thank goodness I'm not the coach and I have the utmost respect for CRB, but I would have put 9 in over the other kid, cast and all, unless there was concern about 9 getting hurt. After all, these are kids, and their health has to come first, if that was the thinking.  JMO's.

You want a player like that in big time football. He will get knocked down his first practice and will learn, but you can't teach players to have that "dawg" He needs to talk less, he has the game. Would love to see him play on that defense with the twins and the rest of those good alcoa Dlineman.

I agree with you. He has struggled with his temper, and part of that is understandable with a kid who has gone through what he has. I do think the coaching staff and environment has helped make an improvement in that versus last year.

Having said all that, I've seen some very good players that have a little swagger, just need to keep it between the lines. Yes, Josh Smith had some of that too, and yes, he backed it up on the field. So, while it's not my style or what the program represents, the kids are not clones either, and their personalities are going to come out. Josh Smith is still doing his best to back it up on the field, and doing a fine job. I suspect that this kid will too, whatever position he ends up playing in college.

And yes, after the unsportsmanlike, CRB sat him on the bench the rest of the game.

Alcoa made great ajustments on the Offenve side of the ball At half. While they had the big lead, the Cak defensive front was getting good push. The second half alcoa ran outside the tackles. Also this freshman has a great arm and i think he adds another level of threat moving on. Alcoa's line and backers were awesome for a 3A school! I think Alcoa would beat Fulton this year. Really impressed by freshman #9 for alcoa, that little DB had great coverage skills and beautiful form tackling. I wish Alcoa would play some of the D line on Oline, maybe they are but that Oline was getting beat? Cak i don't think gets by Betsy this year, too many injuries and not enough big bodies on the Oline. The qb was in punt formation for the whole game and still getting killed. Guess we will see a CPA Tornado rematch soon to come.

If CAK has no further injuries and gets 15WR and 24 Safety back, they will beat Betsy like a red headed step child. You heard it here first. Betsy is not on the same level as CAK and certainly not on Alcoa's level. The key though is that CAK has got to have these players back. There are 3 with ACLs that aren't coming back, so any more than that is too much to overcome IMO

Excellent observations. Glad I'm not the only fan scratching his head at some of the personnel decisions. One in particular on D has me baffled, but I don't want to get into that issue on a public board as it would end up being too easy to identify the young man involved in a way that wouldn't be constructive.

As always, great insights and thoughts. As far as 9, he has played extremely well when on the field IMO. He was stellar on special teams last year, and when, after injuries, called upon at B back and ILB, he has played extremely well. He is going to be a really good player the next 2 years. He (in my unprofessional opinion) needs to get his pad level down substantially when running the ball, and on defense. He is very strong for his size, but is not fully utilizing his strength yet because he isn't playing low enough. I suspect that will come in the off season if not sooner. I was not aware he was catching everything in warm ups. 16 did play with the same type of cast his brother did, but lets be honest, it may be hard for even coaches attempting to be unbiased not to notice he looks and catches and acts a lot like the national record holder, who continued to light it up with a very broken thumb, and a substantial cast. HOWEVER, that national record holder was a senior when he did all that with a cast on, not a sophomore. Davis's talent could not be missed as a freshman, yet still, he did not get the same opportunities as a freshman as he did as a junior and senior (He was only in on 4 wide, except when there was an injury). Why 9 didn't play more sooner, especially on special teams is a mystery, but once he got his chance, he did great. What happened the last 2 weeks, I have no clue why he was not utilized more.

8 and 27 will probably be great receivers next year, but were not even close to on the same page with the QB last night. And playing a sophomore who has only played defense part time, then putting him at RB on offense was a mystery to me. Thank goodness I'm not the coach and I have the utmost respect for CRB, but I would have put 9 in over the other kid, cast and all, unless there was concern about 9 getting hurt. After all, these are kids, and their health has to come first, if that was the thinking.  JMO's.

Excellent observations. Glad I'm not the only fan scratching his head at some of the personnel decisions. One in particular on D has me baffled, but I don't want to get into that issue on a public board as it would end up being too easy to identify the young man involved in a way that wouldn't be constructive.

I think if 15 had been available, it would have solved some issues on D as well.

I thought CAK played hard. Their defense is improved. They just ran into a brick wall. I have watched Alcoa for over 40 years. This is their most impressive defense yet in my opinion. I know this years Dline doesn't have a player like Brandon Warren,Rae Sykes or Tyler Robinson but I like this Dline better. Warren,Sykes and Robinson took plays off. These Dlinemen this year bring it every play.

No team in the state would score a lot on Alcoa. This is what impresses me about Alcoa's defense. Maryville has lit up every team they played besides Alcoa. Maryville scored 50 by halftime vs Heritage,Scored 49 on a very good Fulton team that probably win 4A,Scored 38 by halftime vs Science Hill,35 by halftime vs Jefferson County,49 by halftime vs Dobyns Bennett,27 by halftime vs Bearden,35 by halftime vs William Blount and 28 by halftime vs Bradley Central. Maryville has a great offensive team loaded with talent. Against Alcoa Maryville scored 20 points and only had around 250yds. Every point and hard was hard earned. Maryville scrapped their way to get those 20 points.

Good luck to those other 3A teams trying to score against Alcoa. You are going to need it.

I think Cole Smith is one of the top two or three QB's in East Tennessee. Alcoa may have the best defensive line in the entire state, They gave Maryville fits and I knew going into this game CAK would not be able to do any better. Soon as the ball is snapped your running for your life. Alcoa will win the state in my opinion because of the defensive line.

I think Alcoa wins it all also. Alcoa held CPA to 7 last year. Alcoa's defense is way better this year.

It's Funny Alcoa Says CAk complaining about open Zone, i do recall when CAK beat them to advance to the State people saying the rich people bought the talent! That's always a joke to me, if Cak bought talent they would have 30 D1 prospects...Oh wait the warriors have 170 pound lineman. Cak doesn't have a brand new jumbotron Or School with the City tossing up apartments for everyone to move into either. Should be a good game, quit the pissing.......

+1...pissing and moaning is for the off season threads.....its game on now so play ball. I say Alcoa 28-21