Friday Main Event 4A UPDATED Playoff Projections 10/24

FridayMainEvent

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any system will have is flaws, the vast majority of coaches in the state wanted this system and thought it was the most fair across the board.

A team that is 3-7 should have zero ground to stand on when complaining they didn't get in the playoffs. Win your games and there is zero issue.

Don't have a problem with the system, Gerry.  I'd bet I've spoken with more coaches statewide than most anyone.  I know the system and I like the system. 

I'm only stating what should be obvious.  The first tie breaker "total wins" needs to be revised to "total wins in class and above" that would make these teams think twice about scheduling 2 or 3 classes down in order to pick up garbage wins.   That's all I'm saying.  Truly don't understand how anyone, including you can argue that.

Don't have a problem with the system, Gerry. I'd bet I've spoken with more coaches statewide than most anyone. I know the system and I like the system.

I'm only stating what should be obvious. The first tie breaker "total wins" needs to be revised to "total wins in class and above" that would make these teams think twice about scheduling 2 or 3 classes down in order to pick up garbage wins. That's all I'm saying. Truly don't understand how anyone, including you can argue that.

Easily can argue that because you can't just assume because you are playing a team from a larger classification that you are playing a tougher schedule.

Should Maryville be punished for a win over Alcoa? Of course not.

Easily can argue that because you can't just assume because you are playing a team from a larger classification that you are playing a tougher schedule.

Should Maryville be punished for a win over Alcoa? Of course not.

Pretty sure you could pluck a darn example out every season, Gerry.   Why do we even need classes since size doesn't matter in your line of reasoning.  Come on man, your making a very weak case.  

I think I am making a strong case because I can find example from all across the state. I think it is humorous you are arguing for a 3-7 to get in the playoffs when ask they had to do was win one more region game or non region game. Higher class did not equal better football across the board.

Ok, my last post on this because I'm obviously not making any progress with you.  NOBODY said "across the board" larger schools are better!  

Give me 32 4A teams and you pick 32 2A teams and  see who wins.  Give me 32 5A teams and you pick 32 3A teams and see who wins.....  Is THAT understandable?   My WHOLE point is MOST of the time the larger school will be better.  I'm not arguing for only a 3-7 team to get in Gerry.  This same thing could of played out for a region championship and three 8-2 teams tied and one of them had a win over a team two classes lower.  

Exactly why do you think we have different classes if you want to make the argument that the lower classes are just as good??  Let's just put them all together?   Can you see how silly your argument is now?

If you can't agree that a school 2 classes higher than another school in most instances is going to be better then I'm seriously wasting my time here.

Edited by FreeAgent11

Ok, my last post on this because I'm obviously not making any progress with you.  NOBODY said "across the board" larger schools are better!  

Give me 32 4A teams and you pick 32 2A teams and  see who wins.  Give me 32 5A teams and you pick 32 3A teams and see who wins.....  Is THAT understandable?   My WHOLE point is MOST of the time the larger school will be better.  I'm not arguing for only a 3-7 team to get in Gerry.  This same thing could of played out for a region championship and three 8-2 teams tied and one of them had a win over a team two classes lower.  

Exactly why do you think we have different classes if you want to make the argument that the lower classes are just as good??  Let's just put them all together?   Can you see how silly your argument is now?

If you can't agree that a school 2 classes higher than another school in most instances is going to be better then I'm seriously wasting my time here.

The tiebreaker should be points against/allowed from region opponents...nonregion games should not be considered for playoff purposes...then points scored in region

The tiebreaker should be points against/allowed from region opponents...nonregion games should not be considered for playoff purposes...then points scored in region

That would even be better than "Total wins". I've said it a thousand times why reward teams that go out and schedule "wins". Schedule competition to make your team better.