Open Enrollment

Intense

There was some talk of a 20 mile radius at the meeting...not sure if that would be twenty across (ten from the campus), or 20 from the campus. Lots of variables would have to be considered...a circle around our school of twenty miles would encompass several counties, and even ten would include Henderson, Decatur, Chester, Hardin, and McNairy Counties. I think that with some common sense, and maybe some tweaking, that this would be a compromise that would satisfy most on both sides of the public/private issue...and be the most accurate way to place schools in classifications with similar schools, both in enrollment and opportunity to attract student athletes.

Yea it would definitely be alot of stuff to iron out. If it was a 20 mile radius from the school then or 10 from campus there would be alot of zones in Greene Co would get double hit for populations. Other than North Greene, Greeneville High school (middle of the city with 15,000 people) is within 10 miles from chuckey doak, west greene, and south greene who I would consider rural schools. Outside the city limits it's alot of open farm land and dollar general is the biggest store you will see. So I wonder how they would do the population in a situation like that.

Edited by Swipes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that something like 20,000 population within a 20 mile radius was discussed...the minutes of the meeting are probably available to the public, or some of the posters here on the 'T could probably help...Indian usually pays pretty close attention to details. Most of the schools mentioned as "problems" as far as open zoned publics who "recruit" were in the east...here in the west Jackson (Madison Co.) could become a hotbed...they just went open zone last year, and are contemplating closing some schools. Other than that system most schools "match" the communities in which they are located as far as size. The topic of conversation here in the west is private vs. public, with several small privates located within Jackson's city area (population over 75,000...Madison Co. over 120,000), which would also be addressed with a rural/urban split.

I wish we has 3 classifications 1a 500 students 2a 500 to 1000 3A 1000 or more for public schools. 1 or 2 classifications for private. There's two many state champions now. when you have sub .500 teams making the playoffs its watered down.

You can't do that. It would cut into TSSAA's revenue. Let's increase the classifications to 12, start playing mid July and have the Championships between Christmas and New Year. That way the good folks in Murfreesboro can increase their salaries and all teams make the playoffs. There problem solved.

Oh, and everyone gets a participation trophy.

Edited by fallguy17

Couldn't agree more with your statement. We're doing pretty good at Dresden to have a home & away jersey yet some schools seem to have a new uniform for every "theme" night. We were fortunate at Dresden to have Ned R McWherter funds to help renovate our facilities.

I agree. It is kind of astonishing when you see South Gibson and Lexington to have "pink" jerseys for Breast Cancer Awareness night but then you have other schools that are struggling to improve their weight rooms and hopefully talk about turf fields for the future. A lot of it is just do you have community support or not.

Pujo......do you mean they have actually solved the public-private thing-a-ma-jig? :rolleyes:

However, as your side kick I do agree with your assessment....!  When Murfreesboro starts trying to open enroll their schools some big school is going to start smoking even the likes of Maryville!  Of course it won't take long to figure out which team it is if it ever happened! :o

Kazzy

Open enrollment in Rutherford County now that would be something to see. Just mail that gold ball on right now because you know where it is headed. Might get more than one a year.

I wish we has 3 classifications 1a 500 students 2a 500 to 1000 3A 1000 or more for public schools. 1 or 2 classifications for private. There's two many state champions now. when you have sub .500 teams making the playoffs its watered down.

I agree with this and don't care whether they split privates or not. It's what makes small schools making runs in the playoffs special. Everybody wants an easy path for their team to win a championship and it shouldn't be.

I agree. It is kind of astonishing when you see South Gibson and Lexington to have "pink" jerseys for Breast Cancer Awareness night but then you have other schools that are struggling to improve their weight rooms and hopefully talk about turf fields for the future. A lot of it is just do you have community support or not.

The pink jerseys were provided by State Farm , as with us last year! Our team is blessed to have 4 deferent jerseys and 3 pants and two helmets ! But my kid has sold strawberries , bbq , peaches , onions ( yeah onions ) gold cards , three car washes and 2 yard sales ! Our community supports our kids ! It's not a issue of funding it's a hard work issue ! Edited by Redrage1990

The pink jerseys were provided by State Farm , as with us last year! Our team is blessed to have 4 deferent jerseys and 3 pants and two helmets ! But my kid has sold strawberries , bbq , peaches , onions ( yeah onions ) gold cards , three car washes and 2 yard sales ! Our community supports our kids ! It's not a issue of funding it's a hard work issue !

Nicely stated. Hard work pays off. I remember doing car washes, working pancake breakfasts, selling oranges, etc.

Open enrollment in Rutherford County now that would be something to see. Just mail that gold ball on right now because you know where it is headed. Might get more than one a year.

Not exactly hard to transfer right now. Still would have problems with Maryville. Boys bball and baseball probably wouldn't win state even with open enrollment