Are we raising soft kids?

FridayMainEvent

Ramblings:

My Grandfathers Generation was considered the Greatest Generation that lived, based off of their experience through the great depression and WWII. But I think they failed in their efforts to pass it on to the next generation.

My mothers generation (Baby Boomers) were provided for in a way that their parents never were. In my mind they became the worst generation that this nation has ever seen. (Not all, but as a whole). We are being led by many in that generation and they are weak, politically correct and media driven.

But there is hope having served with many fine men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan, I can tell you there is still hope. The next generation sees the weakness and stupidity that is in America today and they will get us back on track. But it may have to get worse before it gets better.

Not to turn this thread political, but I agree completely about the baby boomers. It's nothing personal. There are some good, honest, hardworking people within that demographic (including my own parents), but collectively, there has never been a generation that received so much and gave back so little. They were coddled in nuclear families during the 50's, enjoyed the "sex, drugs, rock n' roll" era of the 60's and 70's, saw the consumer boom of the 80's, the economic boom of the 90's, and many were able to purchase 2nd homes during the housing boom of the 2000's.

And now, as they retire, they're draining away a social security fund that was never really sustainable in the first place; one that succeeding generations will not get to enjoy, while also leaving an overly inflated, debt crippled economy for their children and grandchildren to try and fix. They got to experience an unprecedented level of prosperity that was built on the backs of their parents, and as the rest of the world catches up with the USA (much of it has already caught up or even surpassed in some cases) in regards to infrastructure and education, it is unlikely we will ever see quite that level of prosperity again.  

It's easy to point the finger at this young "entitlement generation", but it's even easier to forget where it truly started.    

• Upvote 1

I know that the original post had to do with some sign and political correctness, but I'll address the title. Over 100,000, mostly 18 and 19 year olds, chose to join and are accepted by the Armed Forces every year. Most of these young people had backgrounds in high school sports or ROTC. By all accounts, the training today is longer and more physically and mentally demanding than at any time in the past. They have to be smart and fit to even get in the door. I would suggest that if anyone has a doubt about the softness of today's kids, they need to look into what's going on at Ft. Benning, Lackland AFB or Parris Island.

• Upvote 1

Still a few warriors around. Usually, but not always, there is a dad that will accept nothing less.

My kids don't have to win. but I'll be danged if they don't have to try. I have come to recognize real effort from my kids. If they get their backside waxed....good... you need to know what it is like to lose. You need to know how it feels to "EARN" a win. There is no getting by anymore. You are getting ahead or falling behind life does not stand still until you decide to participate. . Find something you love to do and go be your best. Don't waste my time, money and energy, if you are not going to invest yourself 100% into something. . It is your dream not mine. My dream is to see you  be your best. That is what I told my son when he started playing football 3 years ago in the 7th grade. Yeah I want him to play and play well... but he has to earn that no freebies. And he has

Edited by Blaze45

just watch a TV sit-com and see how the dad is portrayed...a bumbling idiot who always screw up and mom saves the day.  look at how many fathers are missing in home.  there is no respect for authority and personal responsibility required any more....yep, I'd say we're raising softer kids.

More frequent and severe @ss beatings for kids is the answer.  When they are being bad, give 'em one they'll remember.   Even if they are not being bad, give 'em one anyway just in case they were bad when you weren't looking.  If you don't do this, you are the reason for all the problems in the world.  Just like the hockey fans chant: "you s-ck, it's all your fault."

Our society is changing daily. We've gone from work hard, work out, study to excellent to just do your best and we'll give you a participation trophy. It only that parents who can recognize talent beyond the high school level that even care about their kids success. We see it everyday with parent hiring personal coaches and training centers to fill the gaps with the lack of development from their high school program. Schools use to have weight training programs that would last all summer. Now its hard to get kids to show up for a week.  We are turning our kids into a bunch of participant trophy receivers ....notice I didn't say winners!

Tell the T$$AA.  They're the ones with dozens of teams with losing records in the playoffs this year.  I wonder how many of those losing record playoff teams had a pep rally today to celebrate their playoff game tonight?  In China you would be sent to a hard labor prison camp for making the playoffs with a losing record.  

Tell the T$$AA.  They're the ones with dozens of teams with losing records in the playoffs this year.  I wonder how many of those losing record playoff teams had a pep rally today to celebrate their playoff game tonight?  In China you would be sent to a hard labor prison camp for making the playoffs with a losing record.  

Interesting point, however lets look at the system overall. if the 6a didn't exist with its 32 teams  bracket  then the teams in 5a would have that many more teams competing for the same playoff spots.

Meaning not only would there be none of this 1-9 teams making playoffs, but some of these in 5a that made it would be setting at home as well. Do you really want to have some of these 6a teams playing back in your bracket?

The bracket is small potatoes compared to what is happening to the America I grew up in.  As a staunch right-wing fundamentalist, I'm much more concerned with finding scapegoats to blame for everything than whatever happens with some trivial bracket thing.

My favorite scapegoats are:

health care for the less fortunate

diversity

Hollywood (especially MTV)

video games

anybody who doesn't look like me