Are we raising soft kids?

FridayMainEvent

I personally did not have a problem with the sign and yes it was directed at my team.  It's part of the competitive spirit.  I grew up in the seventies and early eighties and have thicker skin. Like other posters, I have seen many signs over the years downgrading opposing teams.  We have been guilty for doing the same, as has every school in America.  Everyone likes to hit you when your down. I respect Blackman for the apology to the school, but they didn't owe us an apology. Our coaches and players should continue getting better and someone needs to stop being a cry baby. 

Preach it bro. My dad did farm chores, then went to school, then practiced HS football, then walked home (3-4 miles because there was not car in the family), more chores then homework and bedtime. I was softer than that growing up but still I worked on farming, mowing yards, either walked or rode a bike everywhere, played backyard tackle football year around without any pads.... but now my kids complain if someone doesn't like their latest FB post.

Parents, look in the mirror, we may just be part of the problem... Oh one more thing, when I was growing up there was no such thing as this tee-ball everybody-is-a-winner junk either.

Or everybody gets into the playoffs....

I personally did not have a problem with the sign and yes it was directed at my team.  It's part of the competitive spirit.  I grew up in the seventies and early eighties and have thicker skin. Like other posters, I have seen many signs over the years downgrading opposing teams.  We have been guilty for doing the same, as has every school in America.  Everyone likes to hit you when your down. I respect Blackman for the apology to the school, but they didn't owe us an apology. Our coaches and players should continue getting better and someone needs to stop being a cry baby. 

Pioneers12,I said it Saturday and stand by it today. I have a ton of respect for your players. They gave a great effort and it was evident they were giving their best . The actions they showed the week before by making the trip for Baylor Brambles prayer vigil,was one of the classiest things I have seen this year by any team to that point. Still cheering for that team on Friday. 

Edited by Blaze45

To answer you original question yes. As pointed out each generation is softer then the one before. Mostly cause life is easier. Poor use to mean you wore hand me down clothes or missed meals. Today poor kids have cell phones. And soon with these things we have in our hands and I pads and other devices all the videos games etc. Schools will have to teach courses in conversational interaction in person. Cause we are rapidly moving inside where all are safe and soon going to school won't happen much either. Every kid with be taught at home either provided a government lap top so 1 teacher can teach more kids over the Internet or home schooled in the private sector. Think about it. No busses no buildings to maintain less teachers everyone has exact same curriculum. Big brother is here. We are now entering a age of no accoutabilty and entitlement. Earning your place in life is far gone you will be given a spot. Same as everyone else. Look around. See how many people use their phones in public . So when we quit interacting we get softer. Not able to handle any bad emotion. Yeah. Kids are softer and in 10 years. Those kids will be working right beside us. Not being able to problem solve. I had guy at work tell me he thought less than 5 percent of the guys under 25 we work with had ever been punched in the face. Now that may seem odd but his point was they didn't know how to take a hit and in life that's a bad thing.

Edited by anotherback

Think this generation is bad, just wait! My step kids give their 2 and 3 year old kids their cell phones to keep them occupied. These kids will amazingly be even less prepared to deal with problems and confrontations in life. I can see a future in which there is no "spoken" communication and it isn't as far off as you think.

Ramblings:

My Grandfathers Generation was considered the Greatest Generation that lived, based off of their experience through the great depression and WWII. But I think they failed in their efforts to pass it on to the next generation.

My mothers generation (Baby Boomers) were provided for in a way that their parents never were. In my mind they became the worst generation that this nation has ever seen. (Not all, but as a whole). We are being led by many in that generation and they are weak, politically correct and media driven.

But there is hope having served with many fine men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan, I can tell you there is still hope. The next generation sees the weakness and stupidity that is in America today and they will get us back on track. But it may have to get worse before it gets better.