Metro Nashville Wrestling

briandrinkwine

So, I've been wondering about this for a while and wanted to get your thoughts. The wrestling here has been seriously hurting for a while as programs get cut and parents take their kids to the suburbs where wrestling is valued more. I really want to see it change, so I did the only thing I knew to do: I became a middle school wrestling coach. I went to middle school because, interestingly, I don't think becoming a high school coach would have helped since the problems start much earlier. I figured with 25 years of experience, I can do something.

But, wow, the challenges!

Where I coach

At the school where I'm coaching (HG Hill Middle School), it seemed when I arrived last year that wrestling was such a lower sport that getting kids to come out was like pulling teeth. I started walking the cafeteria during lunch time to get kids to come out, but many of them literally laughed at me. As an adult, wow was that humbling! But things changed. We got a small core of kids who fell in love with the sport and, in only one year, it has changed dramatically, as we've quadrupled the amount of kids coming out for the team. But that's only one program.

Thinking Broadly

I began to talk to a couple other coaches last season who want to see the sport grow again in our area. We began thinking of ways we could affect change on a broader level. So I made 5 proposals to Metro Nashville Schools asking for a series of changes, including adding a 75 lbs weight class, adding a dual tournament, etc. Some were approved and some weren't. Then we went and found coaches for dying/canceled programs and we've gone from 17 programs to 23 since last season. It's not a total transformation, but it's definitely a win, and it's evidence that some of our steps are working.

Multiple problems

The issues with Metro Nashville wrestling are significant. The sport receives very little funding, so most programs are still using outdated equipment and apparel, and most coaches have little to no experience. I have been supplying some of the coaches with technique videos and methods to get higher turnout, but there's only so much you can do. I have also talked to some coaches about starting kids clubs, but most of them are so burned out by the perception that investing is pointless if the kids move to the suburbs or get snatched up by other schools as soon as their talent is spotted. I used to roll my eyes by that, thinking it was just an excuse, but I think many of these coaches really do want to see something big happen, but they're also exhausted.

Thinking Different

One of the things I want to do is challenge coaches, parents, administrators, and athletes in the area to resist the urge to think of our area as a lost cause, but to see it as a new beginning, an opportunity rather than a burden. There are some coaches in our area that are way ahead of me on this and, quite honestly, are the ones leading the charge. But I feel like we need more than a few good coaches and more money (though, to be quite honest, without those things it's quite an uphill battle). We need a total culture shift. We need the perception of wrestling to radically change in our area.

Next Steps

In only a couple short years, we're seeing metro wrestling take a big leap forward at the middle school level. But what's next? That's why I came on here. I wanted to ask you, as many of you have watched Nashville wrestling over the past 20 years or so, you may see things from the outside that I cannot see (my "blind spot"). What other things could we do in our area to elevate wrestling in an urban context?

• Upvote 1

Mr. Drinkwine, I feel your pain.  As I am a coach of a high school team with the 2nd largest population in Nashville.  It is a struggle because, although we have 3 feeder schools, only one has a wrestling program.  The feeder school, John F. Kennedy, which is right up the street for years had a pretty successful program.  They sent kids to me with a good wrestling background, and can claim several state placer.  Yet the principal is adamant about not having a program.  Although, according to him, he is an ex-wrestler.  It is great that you guys are starting from the early kids, because as the kids get older. It is all about football and basketball.  Not to mention that the football coaches in high school, have absolutely no idea how wrestling will help their teams.  If you guys need any help with anything, and I will say time permitting.  Shoot me a line.

Jerome Dooley

Antioch High School

• Upvote 1

Has Metro backed off their stance on Coaches having to be school employees? I know for a niche sport like wrestling it's been a problem in the past where qualified coaches with non metro professional careers get turned away. Many wouldn't care about the pay and have the resources, time, knowledge, and passion to do so and are barred. This kept me from coaching 4-5 years ago at JFK actually. And again I'd have done it for free out of love of the sport.

As to kids moving and being recruited out of the schools I don't have a lot of knowledge to speak on, but when my son Kael was starting Kindergarten this fall we looked at our current zoned school in the McGavok zone, and saw a 2 rating and decided to move into a better over all scholastic zone. Spring Hill on the Maury side may not even have a wrestling program, but it is rated across the board better than where we were. My thoughts are some may be moving for more than just Wrestling reasons. Because as much as I and you love Overton, there is no way I'd send any of my kids there even if Gabe still coached there 10 years from now. Just my honest opinion on the state of Metro Schools in general, wrestling' decline is just a symptom of a bigger issue.

Glad to see you back(last I remembered you had headed to Cali for health reasons. Though I could be making that up in my head.) and investing in this amazing sport! Edit- hadn't logged in in years and ended up signing in through Facebook and thought my name would show. So you know who is responding and not think I'm some insane stalker, Sean Denton.

Edited by MisstheMat

Mr. Drinkwine, I feel your pain.  As I am a coach of a high school team with the 2nd largest population in Nashville.  It is a struggle because, although we have 3 feeder schools, only one has a wrestling program.  The feeder school, John F. Kennedy, which is right up the street for years had a pretty successful program.  They sent kids to me with a good wrestling background, and can claim several state placer.  Yet the principal is adamant about not having a program.  Although, according to him, he is an ex-wrestler.  It is great that you guys are starting from the early kids, because as the kids get older. It is all about football and basketball.  Not to mention that the football coaches in high school, have absolutely no idea how wrestling will help their teams.  If you guys need any help with anything, and I will say time permitting.  Shoot me a line.

Jerome Dooley

Antioch High School

Great thoughts Jerome. I actually grew up in Antioch and always wanted to see AHS grow a strong program. I bet you can! The feeder schools thing is definitely a problem and we've advocated for coaches to be placed in at least one of the schools that feeds into Antioch, but without success. Thanks for pushing and keep it up.

Has Metro backed off their stance on Coaches having to be school employees? I know for a niche sport like wrestling it's been a problem in the past where qualified coaches with non metro professional careers get turned away. Many wouldn't care about the pay and have the resources, time, knowledge, and passion to do so and are barred. This kept me from coaching 4-5 years ago at JFK actually. And again I'd have done it for free out of love of the sport.

As to kids moving and being recruited out of the schools I don't have a lot of knowledge to speak on, but when my son Kael was starting Kindergarten this fall we looked at our current zoned school in the McGavok zone, and saw a 2 rating and decided to move into a better over all scholastic zone. Spring Hill on the Maury side may not even have a wrestling program, but it is rated across the board better than where we were. My thoughts are some may be moving for more than just Wrestling reasons. Because as much as I and you love Overton, there is no way I'd send any of my kids there even if Gabe still coached there 10 years from now. Just my honest opinion on the state of Metro Schools in general, wrestling' decline is just a symptom of a bigger issue.

Glad to see you back(last I remembered you had headed to Cali for health reasons. Though I could be making that up in my head.) and investing in this amazing sport! Edit- hadn't logged in in years and ended up signing in through Facebook and thought my name would show. So you know who is responding and not think I'm some insane stalker, Sean Denton.

Hey Sean! Metro HAS begun allowing non-faculty coaches. I'm one of them. They also recently moved to a different stipend system that pays coaches a lot more. Hopefully that will help attract higher quality coaches. 

I understand the broader issue of school quality also. Many schools can't keep kids because parents are too concerned for their kids' well being, and I just can't argue with that. That said, there ARE some very good schools in Metro, but they aren't celebrated highly. Some schools in Metro are way better than their ratings suggest, because most ratings center on community perception and test scores, neither of which measure teacher quality as much as the student population zoned for that particular school. There are some amazing studies that have been done revealing how many of our suburban schools excel not because of quality teachers and administrators, but because of a higher percentage of invested students. In that case, we measure the quality of the students more than the quality of the school itself, and it masks what's really going on. I know that, for myself, I would definitely put my kids in some of the schools here, but that also depends on if I can get my kids into the schools I want. I know that's not for everyone and, as a parent, you have to make decisions for your kids based on your vision for them and I would never want to advocate for a situation that is detrimental to your kids' future.

It's good to hear from you man. I hope you and your family are doing well. You're great people!

Drinkwine,

I like the way you are motivated regarding wrestling. I hope to get on board with the TWF and become a board member. Thru your desire and fire to keep and improve wrestling in Nashville during the school year that should hopefully motivate kids to belong to programs that offer Olympic styles of Wrestling and opportunities to travel all over.

Best of luck and wish you the best.

Winning that battle must've felt great! I honestly haven't kept up with Wrestling as much since Rj graduated. Though I do attend the Finals every year since its here in town now. My two sons started club wrestling last week and it has made me feel alive again. That sounds weird, but it's so true in a way.

In terms of schools you're correct in that scoring a can be misleading and I know many teachers at metro schools from Church that work their butts off for their students. So i agree with you on each person having to do the research and make their own decisions. Honestly if I could get my kids into MLK or Hime Fogg without the lottery I would've stayed. Can't argue with #73 and #74 best public schools in the nation. I just couldn't risk the gamble so to speak.

Thanks for the kind words about my family! We are doing well! I hope you and your wife are doing awesome and your Momma and siblings too! Nothing like a Drinkwine gathering to put a smile on one's face!

Drinkwine,

I like the way you are motivated regarding wrestling. I hope to get on board with the TWF and become a board member. Thru your desire and fire to keep and improve wrestling in Nashville during the school year that should hopefully motivate kids to belong to programs that offer Olympic styles of Wrestling and opportunities to travel all over.

Best of luck and wish you the best.

I agree. One of the challenges is the lack of off-season programs in the urban core. Maybe some of our coaches can collaborate to create such a thing, but it's going to take some effort. I'm excited that there might be some coaches in our area that could spark something like that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Winning that battle must've felt great! I honestly haven't kept up with Wrestling as much since Rj graduated. Though I do attend the Finals every year since its here in town now. My two sons started club wrestling last week and it has made me feel alive again. That sounds weird, but it's so true in a way.

In terms of schools you're correct in that scoring a can be misleading and I know many teachers at metro schools from Church that work their butts off for their students. So i agree with you on each person having to do the research and make their own decisions. Honestly if I could get my kids into MLK or Hime Fogg without the lottery I would've stayed. Can't argue with #73 and #74 best public schools in the nation. I just couldn't risk the gamble so to speak.

Thanks for the kind words about my family! We are doing well! I hope you and your wife are doing awesome and your Momma and siblings too! Nothing like a Drinkwine gathering to put a smile on one's face!

Dude, I feel ya on MLK & Hume Fogg. And to think that MLK doesn't even have a middle school program now. Really stinks. They're great schools.

The family is doing well. Hope to see you at State!

BD...Metro Public Schools are their own worst enemy and have been for many years.  Adding the 75 # weight classification would be a good start.  Another thing to do is change the rules to where MNPS are allowed to wrestle in tournaments and dual matches against the stronger club programs.  You only get better if you wrestle against the very best competition.  Just look at what Bradley, Baylor, Father Ryan & Cleveland have been doing with their middle school programs.  They are often club teams that travel the country seeking out the very best talent.  Other programs have taken notice and it will not take them long to catch up if they continue to work hard.  The last thing that should be done is for middle school wrestling to begin in the 5th grade and not wait until the 7th grade.  This will provide exposure in the sport of wrestling to younger student athletes. 

Edited by cbg

BD...Metro Public Schools are their own worst enemy and have been for many years.  Adding the 75 # weight classification would be a good start.  Another thing to do is change the rules to where MNPS are allowed to wrestle in tournaments and dual matches against the stronger club programs.  You only get better if you wrestle against the very best competition.  Just look at what Bradley, Baylor, Father Ryan & Cleveland have been doing with their middle school programs.  They are often club teams that travel the country seeking out the very best talent.  Other programs have taken notice and it will not take them long to catch up if they continue to work hard.  The last thing that should be done is for middle school wrestling to begin in the 5th grade and not wait until the 7th grade.  This will provide exposure in the sport of wrestling to younger student athletes. 

True. We got 6th grade added last year. Until that, it was only 7th-8th.