William Blount football 2016

Governm

So you are saying the state's Comptrollers office is trying to sell newspapers?

Absolutely not... The report is out there to be read. What headlines reported was "Blackman Coaches got cash from Boosters" which is partially right. $50-75 dollar gift cards, some cash payments mowing, painting the field, and even some monies given as Christmas gifts ( We always report Christmas gifts on our taxes right?) The headline reported 100k was mishiandled... True figures are in the report of 69-70k in fuel charges make up that 100k over 4 years 2011-2015  Blackman Football has there own buses (3 fancy yellow dogs)  The football team pays the fuel cost on those buses every week that they use them.  if jv/ fresh have an away game that meant fuel on 2 buses. If Varsity was away it meant 3 buses going. The fuel cost also meant paying on occasion the pep bus or band bus fuel cost. especially when the fund in their coffers would have meant no band or students going. I do know that in some instances Mrs Shad had the managers ride to the away game with her as to not leave the all girl bunch on a dark bus on a 2 hour bus ride home. I would hope that fuel was covered.  

Was the record keeping done right or by the book by the way the comptrollers office said it has to be done? Probably not. But now the numbers look suspiciously like 35k divided by 10-12 coaches on staff for 4 years 

Boosters want to give each Coach a 75 outback steakhouse card.? There is 900 bucks and they were all supposed to remember that they got a 50 -75 dollar gift card a couple times a year. You do the math other than the fuel that the comptrollers office was questioning as to who all used it, It comes out to about 800 bucks per year per coach for 4 years. Again I am not saying this was handled correctly, but this is not Capone being brought up on tax evasion. I think smoke will clear and this will fade to nothing at the end of the day other than did you claim anything over xxxx amount as a gift on your taxes?

Edited by Blaze45

Absolutely not... The report is out there to be read. What headlines reported was "Blackman Coaches got cash from Boosters" which is partially right. $50-75 dollar gift cards, some cash payments mowing, painting the field, and even some monies given as Christmas gifts ( We always report Christmas gifts on our taxes right?) The headline reported 100k was mishiandled... True figures are in the report of 69-70k in fuel charges make up that 100k over 4 years 2011-2015 Blackman Football has there own buses (3 fancy yellow dogs) The football team pays the fuel cost on those buses every week that they use them. if jv/ fresh have an away game that meant fuel on 2 buses. If Varsity was away it meant 3 buses going. The fuel cost also meant paying on occasion the pep bus or band bus fuel cost. especially when the fund in their coffers would have meant no band or students going. I do know that in some instances Mrs Shad had the managers ride to the away game with her as to not leave the all girl bunch on a dark bus on a 2 hour bus ride home. I would hope that fuel was covered.

Was the record keeping done right or by the book by the way the comptrollers office said it has to be done? Probably not. But now the numbers look suspiciously like 35k divided by 10-12 coaches on staff for 4 years

Boosters want to give each Coach a 75 outback steakhouse card.? There is 900 bucks and they were all supposed to remember that they got a 50 -75 dollar gift card a couple times a year. You do the math other than the fuel that the comptrollers office was questioning as to who all used it, It comes out to about 800 bucks per year per coach for 4 years. Again I am not saying this was handled correctly, but this is not Capone being brought up on tax evasion. I think smoke will clear and this will fade to nothing at the end of the day other than did you claim anything over xxxx amount as a gift on your taxes?

So taking $800 is ok?

Gaddistosssweep,

This is where actually reading the report helps. If you read it you would know that Shad actually admitted that members of his coaching staff did occasionally receive gift cards as gifts. However, he also said that he didn't know it was against the rules. Is that so hard to believe? These are high school coaches and parents we are talking about, not professional accountants.

http://www.comptroller.tn.gov/repository/ia/blackmanfootballboostersfinal.pdf

Here is the report. I guess the school board is still reviewing it?

It is an interesting read. IMO-somebody is lying. Not sure who, but all the stories don't match up.

I read the whole thing. It is interesting to me that Shad never throws accusations at anyone else, but the other party does a lot of mud slinging.

So taking $800 is ok?

I guess in a nutshell yes... if it was monies raised by the boosters and players they want the coaches to have a million dollars why not... I didn't say they all took 800 dollars.. I am simply putting it in a more realistic perspective  There are receipts that simply say purchase ... but didn't list the items.. There is a ton of items that were purchased that were not itemized .... The issue is that it is all being attributed to personal use and it simply is not the case from the fuel down... did they get a gift card or two as voted on by booster officers? Maybe... but that was their vote...  No one swindled tons of money away from a program. They took some small gifts.. because that seemed normal and ethical . If your kid gives his teacher a basket of lotion or a gc from bodyworks I am sure she turns it down and or reports that on her taxes... heck if ever kid in the class gives 20 dollars ... thats 400 dollars worth of stuff.... gring out the lynch mob, cause she is a hardened criminal 

Gaddistosssweep,

This is where actually reading the report helps. If you read it you would know that Shad actually admitted that members of his coaching staff did occasionally receive gift cards as gifts. However, he also said that he didn't know it was against the rules. Is that so hard to believe? These are high school coaches and parents we are talking about, not professional accountants.

What about the text message that said "make it look good"

I read the whole thing. It is interesting to me that Shad never throws accusations at anyone else, but the other party does a lot of mud slinging.

The most interesting part of the report to me is the 2 sides of who was in charge of the booster club money and how it was "handled". Coach says booster club was in charge of it, and booster club officers say coach managed and told them what to do with all monies.