Kingsport DB "3rd worst season record since 1921"

kingindian33

WaCoJaCo you can argue with these people til you are blue in the face but true longtime DB fans know for sometime it has been the defensive side of the ball. I personally played for Coach Watson when I played at DB, he knew how to game plan he knew how to make adjustments when needed and he knew how to get the most and best out of his players. Whenever you passed him in the halls during the day or had him as a teacher he would always remind you of your assignments and kept us on our toes. He had more impact on this schools tradition then any other coach that has been on the staff including Coach Clark. Now everybody is seeing how much of an impact he had and how much he made the others on the coaching staff look good. This football program has suffered since his departure and it is simple to see. Coach Watson had the respect of players and they wanted to bust their humps to not disappoint him, where is that respect now? The current coaching staff don't have the experience to teach these young men like it was back in the day, is it far fetched to say that Coach Watson led this schools football team for many years while Coach Clark got all the praise? The true downfall of this program is when the day Coach Watson exited the program and it is plain and simple and a lot of Kingsport fans know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is time for change. I am a DB Alum and a die hard fan of the Indians and always will be but as the Great John Ward said one day....IT IS TIME!!!    ROLL TRIBE ROLL!!!

After Sevier Co. put up over 600 yards passing on DB the cat was out of the bag. Thats what happened.

I know you said your secondary wasn't going to be great at the beginning of the year but when we played y'all the pass rush was suffocating. WB's QB was getting hit as soon as he got the snap. We couldn't get off anything but screens. And WB has been able to pass the ball effectively against most of the teams they have played since then, including Oakland who had us completely outmanned on the lines. I think there has to be more going on than secondary coaching and play because DB's pass rush was more than enough to compensate for a questionable or weak secondary when they played us. DB's defense sure looked dang good against us (a team that had offensive success against teams that beat DB). DB also held OR to 17 points. My point is the defense was pretty good early in the season. So what happened? Edited by Governors91

I know you said your secondary wasn't going to be great at the beginning of the year but when we played y'all the pass rush was suffocating. WB's QB was getting hit as soon as he got the snap. We couldn't get off anything but screens. And WB has been able to pass the ball effectively against most of the teams they have played since then, including Oakland who had us completely outmanned on the lines. I think there has to be more going on than secondary coaching and play because DB's pass rush was more than enough to compensate for a questionable or weak secondary when they played us. DB's defense sure looked dang good against us (a team that had offensive success against teams that beat DB). DB also held OR to 17 points. My point is the defense was pretty good early in the season. So what happened?

Clinton who had a very subpar defense held us to 24 as well. Early on in the season we had no passing game to speak of, so everybody just sat on the run and loaded the box on us earlier in the year, which is what DB did. Our offense when we played DB earlier in the year till now is night and day difference.

Guys I hate it for you all, it's tough when something you work hard on and are proud of and it just falls apart. 

Oak Ridge went though the same thing a few years back and it hurt and it stunk. we made sacrifices, ran people off and started over. Time will tell if it worked but it don't seem to bad so far. Ya just got to  keep that D-B Pride and ROLL TRIBE ROLL and it'll come back.

Edited by bounder

Clinton who had a very subpar defense held us to 24 as well. Early on in the season we had no passing game to speak of, so everybody just sat on the run and loaded the box on us earlier in the year, which is what DB did. Our offense when we played DB earlier in the year till now is night and day difference.

But..... We did not score a single point on them until they took some of their starters out in the 2nd half. This is significant because while we did have offensive line issues all year when it came to pass protection we still put up pretty impressive numbers in the passing game anyway. And DB complely took our passing game away. If we could have protected the QB we probably could have torched their secondary because we have a receiver that is right up there with the best receivers in the region, and a few others that were pretty good as well. And DB just completely took our passing game away with their pass rush. Our wide receivers couldn't make any impact on the game because we couldn't get the ball in their hands. What happened to that pass rush? I don't think they were swarming the backfield like they were on us when they gave up 50+ to Bradley. I know our O-line had issues but that pass rush was suffocating .

It's pretty simple really. The decline in DB football started at the exact time Darrell Watson left the program. If you know what Watson did and how he did it and then look at the last two DC's and what has happened it is pretty clear it's coaching on he defense side. DB had the offense to go 9-1 this year.

Finally got it.....  Watson leaves, the defense starts going downhill, but that fact is masked in 2009-2014 because over half the games each season are against Tri-cities teams.    And even a bad DB defense is way more than is needed to win locally.      In 2015, for the first time in 6 years, DB plays only one local cupcake and the defense is exposed for what it really has been all along.

So we have two choices:

1)   Remedy the coaching -AND- play the right guys regardless of who their parents are

- OR -

2)   Wait for the Super32 to self implode and get back to playing mainly local teams

My bet is on #2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is about the time most of us start slowly dropping off coachT until next year, so best wishes to all, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc.

Finally got it.....  Watson leaves, the defense starts going downhill, but that fact is masked in 2009-2014 because over half the games each season are against Tri-cities teams.    And even a bad DB defense is way more than is needed to win locally.      In 2015, for the first time in 6 years, DB plays only one local cupcake and the defense is exposed for what it really has been all along.

So we have two choices:

1)   Remedy the coaching -AND- play the right guys regardless of who their parents are

- OR -

2)   Wait for the Super32 to self implode and get back to playing mainly local teams

My bet is on #2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is about the time most of us start slowly dropping off coachT until next year, so best wishes to all, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc.

Now we're getting on the same page. I'm not betting but I'll go with #1. The question is how long will it take before the S.H.T.F. If the right changes aren't made you will see winless seasons starting next year. So next year might be the final straw before the uprising.

But..... We did not score a single point on them until they took some of their starters out in the 2nd half. This is significant because while we did have offensive line issues all year when it came to pass protection we still put up pretty impressive numbers in the passing game anyway. And DB complely took our passing game away. If we could have protected the QB we probably could have torched their secondary because we have a receiver that is right up there with the best receivers in the region, and a few others that were pretty good as well. And DB just completely took our passing game away with their pass rush. Our wide receivers couldn't make any impact on the game because we couldn't get the ball in their hands. What happened to that pass rush? I don't think they were swarming the backfield like they were on us when they gave up 50+ to Bradley. I know our O-line had issues but that pass rush was suffocating .

Just the point I have been making. When Darrell Watson was the DC he was always able to bring tremendous pressure to the QB. That always masked the fact that the defensive backs coach was a dunderhead. Somehow in your game DB was able to do what Watson did every game. So the secondary looked much better. But it wasn't the secondary at all. You replace that current DC and DB coaches and Dobyns Bennett gets back to 9-1 seasons again. 9-1 because of Maryville of course.

Now we're getting on the same page. I'm not betting but I'll go with #1. The question is how long will it take before the S.H.T.F. If the right changes aren't made you will see winless seasons starting next year. So next year might be the final straw before the uprising.

Well it's not quite that bad, there are no winless seasons in the forecast because even in the Super32 you still play a non-conference Tri-cities team, and not every Knoxville-area team is the same as Maryville.  But point well taken, there could be more of the same as this year.   But I think the Super32 may implode in a couple of years.