Kingsport DB "3rd worst season record since 1921"

kingindian33

I just think you need to include the years that DB played in the Big East Conference. That was not that long ago. You don't need to go back to the 1950's. If you include the Big East in you're stats that blows up everything. Those were the most successful years in modern times for DB football. I think 2008 was the last year of the Big East. There were no weak local teams on the schedule. DB won the Big East championship every year but one. With the exception of Science Hill (a larger school than DB) all the other teams in the conference were west of Morristown.  Coach Watson had some problems in his last years that we don't know about. He passed away a couple years after leaving DB. In my opinion he was the best DC in Tennessee high school football in his prime. And was a great motivator. DB football has been in a steady decline ever since his loss. They have made terrible choices in replacing him. Thats why I keep tell you guys to look a little deeper than these stats you keep pulling out. It has nothing to do with the competition. It's coaching on the defense side. Plain and simple.

Waco, your right the defensive staff is the problem. The coaches show after the Bearden game showed that the defensive coordinator was in over his head. I think Clark is going to have to go to correct these problems. He might not have all the control over his staff, but he has some. Some of the latest additions to the staff are former players and few did not even play college football.

Edited by hssportsfanatic

Don't know all the particulars f what is going on there, but I am inclined to believe that offensively and defensively if the scheme has not changed or been tweeked from game 1 to 11 then their should be some considerations there.  You guys do have talent and size regardless of what anyone else on this thread has said. It looked like being out of position at several positions was the culprit alot of this last game. That being said if you don't correct(truly work with that player ) you can expect people to continue to pick on that. I do hope that whatever happens you guys get it worked out . Good luck and God Bless THE DB Nation. 

What you mention is part of the problem at DB. Politics are bad at DB. About every year there is a guy our two out there who should not be out there.

I hate to put it so bluntly but you don't even have a clue. You only choose to look at a few numbers that support your argument. The offense played well enough to make this a 2 loss regular season. The breakdown was on the defense side of the ball. Have a look at those numbers and get back to me. The coaching on the defense side is the worst I have ever seen in high school football. DB gave up more points this season than any season in the history of the school. Sevier Co. had over 600 yards passing against us. We play Sevier Co. every year. So somehow they are all of the sudden tough competion that we're not used to. Its the defense stupid.

No, I'm quite right on this. My coworkers didn't want to believe me either. They expected 8-2 or 7-3 at worst with losses to Murville, Oak Ridge, and maybe one to either Science Hill or Sevier Co, who puts up yards and points on anybody not named Murville. I told them that 5-5 might be their ceiling.

As D-B fans, you're unable to look at it objectively. Myself, I didn't go to school in the Kingsport area (or the state of TN for that matter) nor do I have any emotional ties to any of the schools. I'm able to look at it for what it is. It's not a coincidence that the  defensive numbers went South when D-B moved into the Super 32. You replace 4 of those losses with Central/Boone/Crockett/Volunteer, then your defensive numbers get way better, you finish at 8-2, and you're not playing Blackman in the opening round. 

D-B is going to have to try to find a way to adjust to the step up. Better coaching? Maybe. Most likely it's just talent related. Some years, it will be better, some years you will have what you have now. 

No, I'm quite right on this. My coworkers didn't want to believe me either. They expected 8-2 or 7-3 at worst with losses to Murville, Oak Ridge, and maybe one to either Science Hill or Sevier Co, who puts up yards and points on anybody not named Murville. I told them that 5-5 might be their ceiling.

As D-B fans, you're unable to look at it objectively. Myself, I didn't go to school in the Kingsport area (or the state of TN for that matter) nor do I have any emotional ties to any of the schools. I'm able to look at it for what it is. It's not a coincidence that the  defensive numbers went South when D-B moved into the Super 32. You replace 4 of those losses with Central/Boone/Crockett/Volunteer, then your defensive numbers get way better, you finish at 8-2, and you're not playing Blackman in the opening round. 

D-B is going to have to try to find a way to adjust to the step up. Better coaching? Maybe. Most likely it's just talent related. Some years, it will be better, some years you will have what you have now. 

Well you can keep patting yourself on the back for guessing right but you're about as wrong as wrong can be. You can believe whatever. I've explained to you how your wrong but you just don't get it. It's the defense and I'm right about it. You're argument doesn't even make sense.

Makes perfect sense. Simple really. I'd have to ask what the big change in coaching was this year over the last 6 years? Not much probably.And the Big East (Halls, Campbell County. and South Doyle) wasn't near as strong as the Region 1 Conference of today and has nothing to do with what went wrong this year.

I have to agree 100% with WaCoJaCo on this one, I was at every game this year whether it was Home or Away except the Blackman game. When your defensive backs Coach cant teach you to even cover a sandwich with a piece of bread then you have troubles. I seen many times throughout the year where he would throw a fit on the sidelines towards his players but if you cant correct the problem in practice by teaching them what he wants then to learn then it is not on the players. Im no way any type of coach but I know how football works and when a team figures out you cant cover the middle of the field then that's where they will attack. Teams whipped us through the middle all year because our Defensive Coaches did NOTHING in adjustments all year to correct the problem. And yes Coach Clark went through something terrible with the passing of his daughter and I don't wish that on any parent but the fact is the decline of DB Football has been happening before the tragic event. There needs to be a change from AD and Head Coach all the way through the coaching staff. Just my opinion and nobody else.but like I said the whole problem this year was 100% DEFENSIVE ISSUES. 

I have to agree 100% with WaCoJaCo on this one, I was at every game this year whether it was Home or Away except the Blackman game. When your defensive backs Coach cant teach you to even cover a sandwich with a piece of bread then you have troubles. I seen many times throughout the year where he would throw a fit on the sidelines towards his players but if you cant correct the problem in practice by teaching them what he wants then to learn then it is not on the players. Im no way any type of coach but I know how football works and when a team figures out you cant cover the middle of the field then that's where they will attack. Teams whipped us through the middle all year because our Defensive Coaches did NOTHING in adjustments all year to correct the problem. And yes Coach Clark went through something terrible with the passing of his daughter and I don't wish that on any parent but the fact is the decline of DB Football has been happening before the tragic event. There needs to be a change from AD and Head Coach all the way through the coaching staff. Just my opinion and nobody else.but like I said the whole problem this year was 100% DEFENSIVE ISSUES. 

THANK GOD!  Someone with a brain finally showed up!

These kids played hard and fought all year and I am not taking anything away from these young kids ... a lot of talent in these kids , talent the coaches are not allowing to shine and talent a "great coaching staff " could showcase by preparing better on and off the field " ! The coaches are failing at teaching - failing the team , school and the fans !!! There comes a time for all coaches to decide their/staffs future and to look back at the great times and seasons and make the decision to fire people or step down ..... to allow a new coach/staff to carry the tradtion "of winning"

" coaches know it's a job $$$ and coaches know when they should step down - coaches should not be stubborn , they should step up and be a man - they are getting paid to do a job and when one fails at that job, Well ...."

Some say it's the new conference - nope it's clearly teaching at positions , complete failure of preparation on and off the field !!

It's sad when you hear "I'm just coming to watch the band " .....

This

I fully understand the frustration with defensive play this year.  Dbacks were outsized and outschemed.  But did anyone besides me notice the interceptions in crucial drives, (and fumbles) that sealed the loss for DB? Ints against OR, BC,Bearden, SH, and Blackman.   Just too inconsistent at that position.  GC can't tell him when to pull the trigger.

THANK GOD!  Someone with a brain finally showed up!

I just didn't show up,I have been here reading for years just decided to get in on the talk. I know a lot that has happened since the AD took over from Wes Moricle. A lot of fans for DB Football that has had season tickets for many many years had their season tickets taken away when the new part of the stadium was built. They were not giving a reason why and then forced to take different seats when tickets were re-issued. These so called tickets were given to high profile people with in our City Government and also to BOE personall free of charge,yes I said FREE OF CHARGE. So while I pay for season tickets these people get special treatment, there is a lot more going on with the Athletic Department that a lot of people dont know. If people don't think that politics are not playing a part in what is happening to this great school then we have a lot of blind people in the City of Kingsport. Like I said change is needed and it needs to start with the AD and then continue on with other positions.

I fully understand the frustration with defensive play this year. Dbacks were outsized and outschemed. But did anyone besides me notice the interceptions in crucial drives, (and fumbles) that sealed the loss for DB? Ints against OR, BC,Bearden, SH, and Blackman. Just too inconsistent at that position. GC can't tell him when to pull the trigger.

Saw it... seems like the QB lost his mojo just before mid season. Didn't play like the same kid from that point on. Hope they get that remedied for next year because the kid has the physical tools to be good. As challenged as DB was on defense this year, the offense had problems of its own. There were 2-3 games the defense played good enough to win, but the INTS and fumbles cost DB the game. Didn't perform well under pressure.

Some want to put it all on defense and d-coaches, but that's probably due to some unresolved issues they may have with them. While it's true there are problems with the defense, it isn't the only area with room for improvement.

A few bright spots on both sides of the ball this year. Hope they learn from the struggles this year and get to work getting stronger and smarter next year. Otherwise, it will be exponentially worse for all involved.