Kingsport DB "3rd worst season record since 1921"

kingindian33

Well it's not quite that bad, there are no winless seasons in the forecast because even in the Super32 you still play a non-conference Tri-cities team, and not every Knoxville-area team is the same as Maryville.  But point well taken, there could be more of the same as this year.   But I think the Super32 may implode in a couple of years.

The only non conference local team is Tennessee High. They were really about as down this year as I have seen them. I don't expect that next year. And William Blount with their new coaching staff will start rising to the top. They will be much better next year. With the same coaching staff at DB next year I can easily see a winless season next year. I also expect some players will jump ship.

Hardin Valley and Jefferson County were senior heavy this year and I expect those teams to drop off some next year. As far as I know Bearden, Bradley Central, and Science Hill were young this year and I'd expect them to be really good next year. Of course Maryville will be Maryville.... That goes without saying. And WB? They should be improved but I'm not going to hold my breath on that. I've thought that they could atleast win 5 games every year going back to 2009 and they always manage to lose one or two that they probably should have won and let a few toss-up games get away from them.

Edited by Governors91

I understand some of the DB fans frustration when they say some people just don't get it. I have the same problem with clowns that think WB just doesn't have the talent to field decent to good teams. From 1997-2007 WB only had one losing record in the regular season and that was a 3-7 record in Meadows first year. Meadows steadily built the program up and they got better every year ultimately resulting in the best record in school history in 2007 (8-2 with 1 point losses to Maryville and Farragut) where WB was 3 points from being undefeated. That was Meadows last year on the sideline. At that point WB had 2 game win streaks over Dobyns Bennett, Sevier County, and Oak Ridge and came scandalously close to ending Maryville's 49 game win streak. Immediately after that year when Meadows stepped down WB tanked and went from 8-2 to 1-9 in 2008. Since then WB hasn't won more than 3 games in a season. Yet you have clowns that would tell you that WB simply doesn't have the athletes to compete. To that I ask why was WB able to consistently be a decent to good team from 1997-2007? It's coaching, plain and simple. That much should be obvious to see after watching how quickly WB hit rock bottom after losing Meadows.

Which one is it Gov ?  If you're saying you do have good athletes and Shad is a good coach, then how did you go 2-9?  It can't be both, either you have to admit that either WB don't have the talent they used to have, or Shad isn't as good of a coach as you thought he was?  Which is it? 

My personal opinion is that Meadows was able to keep most of the good players at WB, something nobody has been able to do since he left.  Maybe Shad can keep the better athletes at WB better than Ridge and the guy before him.   

Sorry DB fans, wrong thread.

Edited by oridgecat

Oridgecat,

You have to realize that there wasn't a single bad team in the region this year. Everyone was atleast pretty good. You also have to realize that Shad took over this program right before spring practice so he wasn't involved in the winter workouts and didn't really have time to recruit the hallways and get kids out for football. WB was playing in a tough region and had depth and conditioning issues. They were in most of the region games at halftime but the depth and conditioning issues costed them the games in the second half of games. I think Shad will recruit the hallways hard and have the kids in better shape next year after having a full offseason with them in the weight room. According to the Blackman fans Shad put an emphasis on strength and conditioning and I bet he will do the same here. And lastly, WB was entrenched in a losing culture from 2008-2014 and it will take some time to change that. The one thing I know for sure is WB will have more players dressed on friday nights next year. We only lose 10 or so seniors and had between 30 and 35 on the freshman team so we'll go from having 48 dressed out to having atleast 60+ and probably more than that. That alone will make a huge difference.

Edited by Governors91

This year DB had non-conference games with Oak Ridge (currently #3 in 5A), Sevier County (#9 in 5A) and Tennessee High (5A unranked).     Playing these teams did absolutely nothing to help DB get ready for the playoffs.     Maybe they should put Central, Boone and Volunteer back on the schedule next year, at least that way you get some big wins and give the guys a little confidence.  Sprinkling local cupcakes into the overall schedule will make no difference come playoff time.