3A Quarterfinals: CAK at Alcoa (The Annual Rematch)

AlcoaBasketball

THIS POST IS TO A COMMENT MADE EARLY THIS WEEK

OK This is my first ever post and probably my last

I would first like to say the message boards are as enjoyable, almost as much as watching the games

Most of the people that post are great people having fun

As for the ones calling out young teenage men by name or number, I think you should consider 

If it was YOUR son and how that would make you feel.

​No matter who they play for they are just teenagers,with a lot on them, in case you have forgot what it is like at that age. 

There will be only one trophy in the end , but I can assure you all of these boys are CHAMPIONS !!!!

This could be my son's last game as he is a SENIOR or it could be the next one or the next

who knows.

And NO the early post was not aimed at my son.

BEST OF LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS !!!!!

WARRIORS 17   -   TORNADOS 14

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW I'M ONTHESIDELINES

I'll second that. This is the difference, in my opinion, between a college or pro message board and a HS message board. Most on these boards are very careful not to call out a player by name or number, because they are KIDS. Regardless of whether they are 125 pounds or 300 pounds, they're high school kids. I for one was not quite as mature at age 17 as I am in my forties. I suspect I am not alone.

These kids do a tremendous amount of work year round for a few weeks worth of games, and I have the utmost respect for that work ethic, regardless of what color uniform they wear. Whatever happens this week, or the next, or for that matter last week, these kids deserve the adults to act like adults and remember they are kids. Those adults were high school kids once too, and I suspect they may have had a little growing up to do when they were that age, just as I did.

I'm willing to bet there are more than a few mullets on that stretch of road; I would have one myself if I still had enough hair. You might not stick out as much as you think!!

Martin Mill Pike Runs from the Four Corners Market In Blount County to Vestal And I'm not a city slicker. My hair would get me caught more than the bright vest!

I'm willing to bet there are more than a few mullets on that stretch of road; I would have one myself if I still had enough hair. You might not stick out as much as you think!!

I just still think Steve Tanneyhill is cool even if he was no good at QB! I hope my kids have the hair, But better qb skills. 

Warrior i was thinking tonight if the warriors have a praying chance they need to run the ball more to soften up those Db's. Hard to do on that front four plus the excellent Lb's. Qb for Cak must have a clock running in his head too. I was think alittle zone read might be excellent for this game? I know thats nothing near a CAK offense...

Since CRB mentioned it to the newspaper reporter, as quoted this morning's paper, I suppose it's no secret now and OK for me to mention here. In addition to losing OLB 3 in last week's game, the Warriors also lost OT/DT 71 to a knee injury. Many didn't notice it during the game because there was no stoppage of play; he came off the field to get checked and never returned. That means CAK will have five senior starters watching from the sidelines tonight. The loss of 71 on both sides of the line hurts a lot. The loss of so many seniors is compounded by the fact that two sophomore linemen who have good potential went down to season-ending knee injuries earlier in the year, and they would have been the guys to step into the void on DL.

However, Warriors don't give up before battle just because the odds look long. I keep reminding my current Warrior that the first time CAK ever beat Alcoa, its best player was out with an injury. I believe this year's team has just enough players left to compete with Alcoa.

My expectation is CRB will call a good enough game to minimize the impact of Alcoa's monster D line/pass rush, and that the Warriors will scores significantly more points than last time, though not as much as they average against other teams of course. In other words, I believe CRB will have a better game plan this time and will give his O its best chance to compete against Alcoa's formidable D.

I believe the CAK D will cut down the frequency of Alcoa's big play strikes compared to the regular season game. I believe Alcoa will gain much more on the ground this game compared to the regular season game, but, as a result of having to grind it out against the Warrior D rather than quick strikes, the Tornadoes won't score as many points as the first time.

Anybody who writes off this Warrior team because of the overwhelming number of serious injuries would be underestimating the skill and fortitude of the boys who remain healthy enough to play. There is considerable talent in the group of boys who will be playing tonight, and a tremendous amount of heart.

If the turnover ratio is even or no greater than +1 in Alcoa's favor, the Warriors shock the world and win a squeaker, 28-21.

Warriors 11, if you are so inclined to opine on who and what we may see, inquiring minds want to know.

I think you're headed in the right direction in terms of game plan. To slow down a monster pass rush like Alcoa's front four, you have to run enough to keep them honest, and work in plenty of draws, screens and quick passes. CAK's offense has had a tendency this year to fall in love with the long ball at times. We won't beat Alcoa with the long ball because we won't have time for the route to develop. We have to work it downfield methodically and keep the chains moving with runs and the short passing game and QB better be ready to run frequently tonight and get what he can and slide. Against this kind of D, his legs are equally as important as his arm.

I just still think Steve Tanneyhill is cool even if he was no good at QB! I hope my kids have the hair, But better qb skills. 

Warrior i was thinking tonight if the warriors have a praying chance they need to run the ball more to soften up those Db's. Hard to do on that front four plus the excellent Lb's. Qb for Cak must have a clock running in his head too. I was think alittle zone read might be excellent for this game? I know thats nothing near a CAK offense...

I think you mention some good ideas but.... CAK lost their 190+ pound RB to ACL early in the year. Having his size would have really complemented the outstanding play of #34 to split the load up, and add a shifty back with size. (Side note, he is an excellent hockey player B) )

I don't think you will ever see a true zone read or option style offense from CRB. It goes against every thing in his philosophy that I have seen to put his QB in jeopardy on a routine basis. Maybe a couple of zone read or option type plays thrown in, but I don't see it happening more than 3-4 snaps. BUT he has clearly loosened up over the last few years on giving the green light for the QB to use his feet when the opportunity presents itself. I would also not be surprised if we saw him, by design, moving and throwing, rolling out, and moving the pocket.

You said it well; Alcoa may be the best front 4 in the state. It certainly is in 3A. I would like to have seen this game with both teams at full strength, but that is football. I do think when you give the Bradleys several weeks to prepare after the first meeting, that you will get some different strategies and tactics from the first meeting, along with the return of CAK's top threat on offense who did not play the first game, and who will without a doubt play a significant number of snaps on defense and special teams. The question really comes down, in my mind, to just whether CAK can hang with Alcoa athletically. That is a tall order for what is likely in the top few teams in the state in any D1 division.

IMO, if CAK can run the ball either by RB or QB just enough to keep the Alcoa defense guessing, it will be a very competitive game. CAK's QB had 3 int's all year before the Alcoa game. A lot of the turnovers he had in the Alcoa game, IMO came from having to press and trying to make something happen as CAK fell behind.

Interesting stats that while Alcoa dominated the game, they only had 30 more yards of offense than CAK the first meeting. Another interesting stat (to me) was that Pope who played some running back for the first time that game was 7 carries for 35 yards. Not that it matters, just thought it was interesting.

Since CRB mentioned it to the newspaper reporter, as quoted this morning's paper, I suppose it's no secret now and OK for me to mention here. In addition to losing OLB 3 in last week's game, the Warriors also lost OT/DT 71 to a knee injury. Many didn't notice it during the game because there was no stoppage of play; he came off the field to get checked and never returned. That means CAK will have five senior starters watching from the sidelines tonight. The loss of 71 on both sides of the line hurts a lot. The loss of so many seniors is compounded by the fact that two sophomore linemen who have good potential went down to season-ending knee injuries earlier in the year, and they would have been the guys to step into the void on DL.

However, Warriors don't give up before battle just because the odds look long. I keep reminding my current Warrior that the first time CAK ever beat Alcoa, its best player was out with an injury. I believe this year's team has just enough players left to compete with Alcoa.

My expectation is CRB will call a good enough game to minimize the impact of Alcoa's monster D line/pass rush, and that the Warriors will scores significantly more points than last time, though not as much as they average against other teams of course. In other words, I believe CRB will have a better game plan this time and will give his O its best chance to compete against Alcoa's formidable D.

I believe the CAK D will cut down the frequency of Alcoa's big play strikes compared to the regular season game. I believe Alcoa will gain much more on the ground this game compared to the regular season game, but, as a result of having to grind it out against the Warrior D rather than quick strikes, the Tornadoes won't score as many points as the first time.

Anybody who writes off this Warrior team because of the overwhelming number of serious injuries would be underestimating the skill and fortitude of the boys who remain healthy enough to play. There is considerable talent in the group of boys who will be playing tonight, and a tremendous amount of heart.

If the turnover ratio is even or no greater than +1 in Alcoa's favor, the Warriors shock the world and win a squeaker, 28-21.

I'm sorry to hear about 71 both for the team, and for that young man. It is truly amazing to lose 4 seniors and 2 sophomores in one season to ACL / significant knee issues. I don't know what #3's injury is, but I assume he is not available as well. Also, I assume since you didn't mention #24 that he too will not be healthy enough to play?

I don't know about the line, but at OLB and safety, if those players are not available, I think we have more than capable offensive players that can play both ways in, 11, and 16, and perhaps others, in addition to 6 that seemed to do a good job when 3 came out. (I tried to watch the replay on the Warrior network but it is blacked out for the time being) I see 15 playing a LOT of corner tonight.  That just puts a lot of pressure on those kids to go both ways. Fortunately, they have not had to do that much at all this year, so they should not be worn down, and it will be a nice cool night.

I too think CAK will be better equipped to contain Alcoa's pass, but as always, they force you to focus on the run to the point that it seems almost a trick play when they pass. (A little like CAK in reverse....) I hope that who ever CRB slides in to replace 71 does well tonight. I'm expecting to see help from a RB on that side, or perhaps more 3 wide / 2 back sets to help with protection. Do you see 31 in the backfield again some this week, off and on, to add a 220 lb blocker / runner in the backfield, or do you see him strictly as a receiver this week?

Sorry I didn't cover it, but 24 is ready to play, which is big. That will allow 11 to slide over to CB opposite 8. 16 might sub for 11 some at CB if he needs a break. I don't think 15 will play a snap at CB; instead, you'll see him some (maybe even a lot) at the rover/OLB spot splitting time with 6. That's the position 15 actually played a lot in his freshman and sophomore years. I think you'll see a base 3-5 D with 31 playing the 5th LB/wildcard position a lot, lining up sometimes at DE, sometimes creeping into one of the interior gaps to wreak as much havoc as he can from different spots.

I think you might see 31 at RB some, but not nearly as much as the first game. IMO he needs to be lined up at the slot or wide on O, so the first guy who tries to tackle him is a CB or SS who's smaller than him. I think you'll see quite a bit if 3-wide/2-rb sets with 34 and 9 in the backfield. Hopefully CRB will dial up some runs, draws, screens and quick hits to relieve some of the pressure on the OL and RBs for pass protection.

11, 15, 31, 9, 16 all better be ready to play both ways the whole game. You might even see 4 some at Rover if needed. 3 has a high ankle sprain and is doubtful.

I'm sorry to hear about 71 both for the team, and for that young man. It is truly amazing to lose 4 seniors and 2 sophomores in one season to ACL / significant knee issues. I don't know what #3's injury is, but I assume he is not available as well. Also, I assume since you didn't mention #24 that he too will not be healthy enough to play?

I don't know about the line, but at OLB and safety, if those players are not available, I think we have more than capable offensive players that can play both ways in, 11, and 16, and perhaps others, in addition to 6 that seemed to do a good job when 3 came out. (I tried to watch the replay on the Warrior network but it is blacked out for the time being) I see 15 playing a LOT of corner tonight.  That just puts a lot of pressure on those kids to go both ways. Fortunately, they have not had to do that much at all this year, so they should not be worn down, and it will be a nice cool night.

I too think CAK will be better equipped to contain Alcoa's pass, but as always, they force you to focus on the run to the point that it seems almost a trick play when they pass. (A little like CAK in reverse....) I hope that who ever CRB slides in to replace 71 does well tonight. I'm expecting to see help from a RB on that side, or perhaps more 3 wide / 2 back sets to help with protection. Do you see 31 in the backfield again some this week, off and on, to add a 220 lb blocker / runner in the backfield, or do you see him strictly as a receiver this week?

Edited by Warriors2011