Whitestation at Ravenwood

Haven04

well written kwc! Fans (not players) of middle tn are left holding on to the best regions while east and west try to win championships. Cannot wait for what excuses will be next from region 2 fans if it doesn't happen for them this year. This year will be one of toughest roads to the championship for the east. Good luck to the final 8!

One thing that hurts middle tenn schools athletics is the growth in the area. You would think that growth would improve athletics, but in Williamson County it really has an adverse effect. I am admittedly ignorant of East Tn and West Tn. 

For example, just in the last 15 or so years, Ravenwood opened and took athletes from Brentwood, Independence opened and took athletes from Franklin/Centennial, Summit opened and took athletes from Independence.

Next year, Nolensville will open and decimate Ravenwood. That's four brand spanking new 5a/6a schools in the last ten years or so, just in Williamson County, on top of the athletes lost to BA, MBA, father ryan, CPA, and the other private schools.

While overall growth is great, splitting schools up tends to severely dilute the talent pool for several years. 

These are just my observations from Williamson County. I would be interested to hear if east/west tn. face the same thing on this large a scale.

I think that the growth of Middle Tennessee and the development of new schools probably does have some affect on their Championship hopes. What would happen if Maryville City Schools built a new school and split the students there?

I have been surprised to watch the Murfreesboro schools grow and really expected them to drop in quality by some measure over time, but they have not really lost much. The growth in students apparently has been enough to counteract some of that. BUT they may have lost just enough to keep any one school from being that competitor to make it to the Championship Game.

While not winning the Championships, you have to admit Region 2, predominantly Oakland, Riverdale, Blackman and Siegel, have really been very good, and probably, over time, the leaders of arguably the toughest region in 6A.

I think you would rank Maryville as the best team in the East, then the Murfreesboro 4 with Smyrna in the next group; then Region 1's 2 thru 4 teams maybe mixing Cookeville in with them somewhere then intersperse the lower end teams as a group. At least in my mind that is where the teams fall in quality. Not an exact list or order but a general feel.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone in Mid Tenn aside from the Oakland fans seen Dillon Mitchell play? I know Oakland fans saw him last year. Anybody else? If you haven't, I'm going to suggest that you make it down to Ravenwood's stadium and purchase a ticket to watch the Dillon Micthell show. It will be money well spent! Just ask the Oakland faithful how he torched them. Oakland won the game ... but Dillon Mitchell did a number on them.

Has anyone in Mid Tenn aside from the Oakland fans seen Dillon Mitchell play? I know Oakland fans saw him last year. Anybody else? If you haven't, I'm going to suggest that you make it down to Ravenwood's stadium and purchase a ticket to watch the Dillon Micthell show. It will be money well spent! Just ask the Oakland faithful how he torched them. Oakland won the game ... but Dillon Mitchell did a number on them.

He's got my vote. Too bad they don't have a good defense to back him up

He's got my vote. Too bad they don't have a good defense to back him up

Believe it or not, they actually have two shut-outs on the year. Bartlett and Germantown. But you are right, their philosophy is to outscore their opponent. When the other team starts to overcompensate to stop DM ... they hit you with the other guys ... but by and large ... it's Dillon Mitchell on a WR read option/shuttle pass/run option type thing. DM plays QB and runs the Wildcat. Or he gets a short pass that turns into a track meet in which he always wins. Here's a good one ... DM streaks down the sideline and the QB just throws it as far as he can and DM just runs under it and scores. DM also takes a punt or a KO return to the house. Or ... he takes an INT and runs it in from end zone to end zone. That's happened as well.

Word of advice to Ravenwood.

Don't

Kick

It

To

Him.

You will thank me later.

Edited by kwc

I think you would rank Maryville as the best team in the East, then the Murfreesboro 4 with Smyrna in the next group; then Region 1's 2 thru 4 teams maybe mixing Cookeville in with them somewhere then intersperse the lower end teams as a group. At least in my mind that is where the teams fall in quality. Not an exact list or order but a general feel.

I think no doubt that Maryville has to be at the top, for many years in Alabama, I heard them referred to as the "Hoover of Tennessee" (Although Hoover has tried to schedule them many times to no avail)

I think White station has to be up there near the top.

Oakland and Blackman have been on good runs recently, with no hardware to show for it.

Riverdale, while down recently, used to be dominant. (Another team I used to hear about in Alabama)

Ravenwood, for a relatively new school, has a state title and two runners up trophies. Brentwood and Franklin have been down recently. Unfortunately, I know very little about Hendersonville, clarksville, etc...

Hmmm. maybe a new thread is in order....

Don't

Kick

It

To

Him.

You will thank me later.

Sounds like there will be a lot of pooch kicks, if white stations coaches watch any film at all, they won't kick it to rowland either.

From the newspaper:

Rowland has been the team's most dynamic weapon this season, averaging 13.78 yards per touch.

The senior has recorded 799 receiving yards, 657 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns on offense, and he's returned three punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns.

Sounds like there will be a lot of pooch kicks, if white stations coaches watch any film at all, they won't kick it to rowland either.

From the newspaper:

Rowland has been the team's most dynamic weapon this season, averaging 13.78 yards per touch.

The senior has recorded 799 receiving yards, 657 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns on offense, and he's returned three punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns.

I agree ... pooch kicks all around. Rowland is the man for Ravenwood. He's their all-purpose guy. I know he's not all they have ... but he's pretty special. White Station will have their hands full with all of Ravenwood's weapons.

Both teams have 3 common opponents. Bartlett, Lebenon, and McGavock. In all three, Ravenwood defeated those three teams by a wider margin of victory then White Station. It must be noted that White Station held out Dillon Mitchell against Bartlett because they said he was ill. Personally, I think he had some nagging injuries and White Station decided that they didn't need DM to beat Bartlett. They were right.

White Station will score. Will they outscore Ravenwood? I don't know. If DM breaks some long ones ... it could get interesting. I think DM has to score at least 5 TDs for White Station to win. He will score multiple TDs ... the question is ... will he score more then 5? or will RW limit him to 4 or less. White Station (DM) will score more then 21 points. I don't know if DM scores 49.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/tssaa-playoffs-thirdround-breakdown

CLASS 6A

Favorite: Maryville (12-0). No news here. The nationally ranked Rebels were everyone’s favorite going in and have done nothing to disprove that.

Top contender: Ravenwood (11-1). The Raptors reached the title game last year and had Maryville on the ropes. The Raptors are in a favorable position to return to Cookeville, with White Station at home Friday and then the winner of Whitehaven-Wilson Central in the semifinals.

Wrong place, wrong time: Oakland (11-1). The Patriots would arguably be the top contender, but Oakland is in the same bracket as Maryville and will have to beat the Rebels (providing they avoid an upset with visiting Blackman) in the semifinals to compete for a 6A title. A date with rival Smyrna stands in the way of that.

Overview: This bracket is still the most intact, as far as returning BlueCross Bowl members and favorites still being alive. Of the eight quarterfinalists, seven were expected to be there. Only Wilson Central (6-6) has shaken up things, pulling off two upsets en route to a game at Whiteheaven (11-1).

Edited by jokrswylde

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/top-high-school-football-playoff-games-round-3

CLASS 6A

WHITE STATION (9-3) AT RAVENWOOD (11-1)

When: Friday, 7 p.m.

Ravenwood faced little resistance en route to a 35-0 victory over Region 3-6A foe Overton a week ago, piling up 263 yards and four rushing touchdowns as Conner Jeffries (2), Chris Rowland and Carter Nelson found the end zone. The Raptors’ defense also forced three Bobcat fumbles and hauled in a pair of interceptions, but the reigning Class 6A runners-up will face arguably their most talented opponent to date in White Station. The Spartans, led by senior Mr. Football finalist and Oregon commitment Dillon Mitchell, survived a second-round scare against McGavock, advancing thanks to a missed Raider field goal with seven seconds remaining. Mitchell has more than 2,000 all-purpose yards and 30 touchdowns.  White Station has been inconsistent at times, but expect Ravenwood to have a tougher time than its last two times out.

Murphy’s pick: Ravenwood 38, White Station 24

Brown’s pick: Ravenwood 35, White Station 3

Edited by jokrswylde