48 Schools per class?

riverrat

Tri Cities Christian has folded up.  They forfeited their season due to low numbers and the entire school may be closing after a big backer was indicted for embezzling taxpayer money to give to them.  Their coach has left and started another independent program at a different private school.

As for this plan... I actually like it, but the "overflow" needs to go to the smallest class or be divided equally among all 6.  There's not as big a gap between 150 and 400 kids as there is between 1300 and 2500+.  I can't remember the exact number of teams in the TSSAA playing football or how  many are public/how many are private, but I'm pretty sure it's significantly more than 288 publics (48X6=288).  I think the number would be somewhere just over 300.

I don't feel like the classes necessarily need to be perfectly equal in number, but 48 in 8 districts is a good start.  The Super 32 was a joke this year.  It's got a team playing in the title game who should have been 5A and the other team in the 6A championship got beaten by a 5A team who was eliminated in the playoffs.

You are right.  According to my count there are 291 Public high schools who play football.  I am not beyond making a mistake. 

We disagree on the gap between 150 and 400 kid schools.  Your numbers are incorrect on the large schools.

As for the overflow you are looking at 51 schools in 6A instead of 48.  These would be the largest 51 based on last classification 1466 being the smallest and 2289 being the largest:

Antioch High School Arlington High School Bartlett High School Bearden High School Blackman High School Bolton High School Bradley Central High School Brentwood Cane Ridge High School Centennial High School Coffee Co. Central High School Collierville High School Cookeville High School Cordova High School Dickson Co. High School Dobyns Bennett High School Farragut High School Franklin Franklin Co. High School Gallatin High School Germantown High School Hardin Valley Academy Hendersonville High School Heritage High School Houston Hunters Lane High School Jefferson Co. High School LaVergne High School Lebanon High School Maryville High School McGavock High School McMinn Co. High School Memphis Central High School Nashville Overton Oakland High School Ravenwood High School Rhea County High School Riverdale High School Rossview High School Science Hill High School Siegel High School Smyrna High School Southwind High School Station Camp High School Stewarts Creek High School Walker Valley High School Warren Co. High School White Station High School Whitehaven High School William Blount High School Wilson Central High School

Edited by riverrat106

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tri Cities Christian has folded up. They forfeited their season due to low numbers and the entire school may be closing after a big backer was indicted for embezzling taxpayer money to give to them. Their coach has left and started another independent program at a different private school.

As for this plan... I actually like it, but the "overflow" needs to go to the smallest class or be divided equally among all 6. There's not as big a gap between 150 and 400 kids as there is between 1300 and 2500+. I can't remember the exact number of teams in the TSSAA playing football or how many are public/how many are private, but I'm pretty sure it's significantly more than 288 publics (48X6=288). I think the number would be somewhere just over 300.

I don't feel like the classes necessarily need to be perfectly equal in number, but 48 in 8 districts is a good start. The Super 32 was a joke this year. It's got a team playing in the title game who should have been 5A and the other team in the 6A championship got beaten by a 5A team who was eliminated in the playoffs.

I know that Tri-cities only played 1 game this season. Thanks for the info on them. The numbers that I listed above are correct. There are 342 total in the TSSAA: 311 in D1, 31 in D2.

There are 51 total private schools: 11 in IIAA, 20 in IIA, and 20 sprinkled into D1.

I'll be interested to see if WEB Dubois gets going next season as well. They were going to field a team this year and couldn't get the numbers together for a team this season. That would make it 343 in the TSSAA plus if Tennessee Christian, Lancaster, and Memphis Catholic gain affiliation they would bring it to 346.

I think the problem in student numbers in small school and large schools lies in the actually % and not the number. For example in a small school setting one school has 150 students and another school has 400 students. The school with 400 has almost triple the enrollment and triple the number of students to field a team from.

In the large classes if a school has 1300 and another has 2500 the school with 2500 isn't even twice as large.

I see the advantages and disadvantages either way but just trying to look at it from the flip side.

TSSAA needs to understand that they are going to get money regardless of the situation. Doing all of these different playoff formats are absurd and it makes the TSSAA desperate for pennies. I like traveling to other places on Friday nights (schools I don't normally go to for a football game), but having Clarksville Northeast play AT Brighton, (just north of Memphis) is ridiculous. It's well over a 3 hour drive and it's not fun getting back home at 2/3 AM for a High School football game (unless it is late in the playoffs). The TSSAA is doing too much! 

If enough people would actually get on board with a decent plan, the TSSAA WOULD listen. They'd have to.

I think people sometimes forget that the TSSAA exists because of the schools...not the other way around.

Question, how do they split up DII between AA and A?  Is that an enrollment split as well, some other criteria, or just a choice of the institution?  I would like to devise a re-classification plan based off of the most popular responses on these threads and I think that information would help since a complete splite between public and private seem to be the majority.  I think if a full plan was written out for all to discuss and edit then everyone could go to bat with the TSSAA.

Edited by LazIndexTN

Question, how do they split up DII between AA and A?  Is that an enrollment split as well, some other criteria, or just a choice of the institution?  I would like to devise a re-classification plan based off of the most popular responses on these threads and I think that information would help since a complete splite between public and private seem to be the majority.  I think if a full plan was written out for all to discuss and edit then everyone could go to bat with the TSSAA.

I think when the split happens the Private schools with form a new (TSSAA) association

• 3 weeks later...