New Division II Classification Thoughts - 3 Classes

fbcoach400

So you think that you can separate from TSSAA, form your own organization, and not have a governing body apart from school association? Some of you guys crack me up.

You act like its something difficult to do or that it hasn't been done in other states. They would form a new league of their own. Lets call it Tennessee Private League for example.  They would then in turn appoint a representative from each school onto the board, more than likely the ad from each school and that is your governing body. Pretty simple stuff

Do you really think all the private schools will split? Who will govern them? Some may split eventually but I seriously doubt it happens sooner than a decade and even then it will not be every school. From a management standpoint an organization exactly like the TSSAA would have to be created. If thats the case then why split?

Ive had this conversation with a head master at arguably the best private school program in the state and he does not believe it will happen nor has he heard any movement to do so. This HM has been right about everything else the TSSAA has done for classification realignment.

There have been talks for the last few years among the upper echelon private schools. Im not sure who you are talking to or why hes telling you that but there have definitely been ideas tossed around. Ive heard this from 2 Ad's, and multiple head coaches in various sports at different schools. I don't think its been serious enough for them to sit down and make plan's but they have been discussing it for the last 4-5 years with more interest each year.  

There have been talks for the last few years among the upper echelon private schools. Im not sure who you are talking to or why hes telling you that but there have definitely been ideas tossed around. Ive heard this from 2 Ad's, and multiple head coaches in various sports at different schools. I don't think its been serious enough for them to sit down and make plan's but they have been discussing it for the last 4-5 years with more interest each year.

Coaches and ADs talking about "what ifs" are completely different from saying it will happen. The headmaster, the guy that actually makes the decision, that I talk to laughs at it because its not practical for many reasons at this time. This guy also laughs every fall at claims his school will become a boarding school.

It is not happening in less than 10 years at the earliest.

You act like its something difficult to do or that it hasn't been done in other states. They would form a new league of their own. Lets call it Tennessee Private League for example.  They would then in turn appoint a representative from each school onto the board, more than likely the ad from each school and that is your governing body. Pretty simple stuff

Difficult??? Not really. Governing body consisting of one rep from each private school in Tn.??? Absolutely laughable.

Its actually pretty simple and makes a lot more sense.

Simple it is...no chance that it works. Suppose that an "issue" arises like Bowers' ejection, suspension and appeal reversal...do you think an unbiased ruling would happen? If it actually was unbiased, would it be accepted as such? A governing body has to be comprised of members without an agenda. I'm not a "hater" merely poking fun at a veiled threat to abandon TSSAA and form their own association...just a practical observation that there is no chance to avoid division and dissention when each member is not only associated, but employed by a member school...put some real thought into it and try again.

Simple it is...no chance that it works. Suppose that an "issue" arises like Bowers' ejection, suspension and appeal reversal...do you think an unbiased ruling would happen? If it actually was unbiased, would it be accepted as such? A governing body has to be comprised of members without an agenda. I'm not a "hater" merely poking fun at a veiled threat to abandon TSSAA and form their own association...just a practical observation that there is no chance to avoid division and dissention when each member is not only associated, but employed by a member school...put some real thought into it and try again.

Your right, it makes no sense for schools to govern themselves and actually do whats best for themselves and their student athletes. Instead let an organization such as the Tssaa govern you that doesn't care about whats best for you or what their member schools even want.   Maybe you should do some research or put real thought into it.  Check out how the Nfl owners operate and actually set the rules that they are governed by. If you have clear cut rules and policies in place you would be surprised how simple it is to operate and leave no room for hidden agendas. They could appoint or elect officials from each region that aren't tied to a school to form a disciplinary committee if needed. Doesn't the Tssaa kind of do that already? Mark my words, and I will make an open bet with you. If the Tssaa doesn't allow DII to have more of a voice in how their sports are ran many of the schools will leave the Tssaa. I would do it immediately, there is nothing to gain by them staying in the Tssaa. Im not even really talking about football but more so in the other sports. You must not be aware of the issues at hand.

Your right, it makes no sense for schools to govern themselves and actually do whats best for themselves and their student athletes. Instead let an organization such as the Tssaa govern you that doesn't care about whats best for you or what their member schools even want.   Maybe you should do some research or put real thought into it.  Check out how the Nfl owners operate and actually set the rules that they are governed by. If you have clear cut rules and policies in place you would be surprised how simple it is to operate and leave no room for hidden agendas. They could appoint or elect officials from each region that aren't tied to a school to form a disciplinary committee if needed. Doesn't the Tssaa kind of do that already? Mark my words, and I will make an open bet with you. If the Tssaa doesn't allow DII to have more of a voice in how their sports are ran many of the schools will leave the Tssaa. I would do it immediately, there is nothing to gain by them staying in the Tssaa. Im not even really talking about football but more so in the other sports. You must not be aware of the issues at hand.

Not here to enter an argument, especially one where I have no concern for the outcome. You appear to have made my point for me anyway. If it happens one of us will undoubtedly be wrong, and if it's as surprisingly simple as you predict I'll go ahead and apologize now for doubting that it would work.

Not here to enter an argument, especially one where I have no concern for the outcome. You appear to have made my point for me anyway. If it happens one of us will undoubtedly be wrong, and if it's as surprisingly simple as you predict I'll go ahead and apologize now for doubting that it would work.

You are right on point. Its not going to happen and most folks close to D2 know it. Maybe in 10 years but even then it would not be all private schools.

Your right, it makes no sense for schools to govern themselves and actually do whats best for themselves and their student athletes. Instead let an organization such as the Tssaa govern you that doesn't care about whats best for you or what their member schools even want. Maybe you should do some research or put real thought into it. Check out how the Nfl owners operate and actually set the rules that they are governed by. If you have clear cut rules and policies in place you would be surprised how simple it is to operate and leave no room for hidden agendas. They could appoint or elect officials from each region that aren't tied to a school to form a disciplinary committee if needed. Doesn't the Tssaa kind of do that already? Mark my words, and I will make an open bet with you. If the Tssaa doesn't allow DII to have more of a voice in how their sports are ran many of the schools will leave the Tssaa. I would do it immediately, there is nothing to gain by them staying in the Tssaa. Im not even really talking about football but more so in the other sports. You must not be aware of the issues at hand.

I have no clue where you are getting your info but it is far different from what I have heard from head masters, coaches and ADs. Theres no movement whatsoever to go down this path by the headmasters. You do know the headmasters in middle TN meet for luncheons and this has never been discussed except for small groups chuckling about "people" suggesting it is an option? Right?

If you want to know the pulse of this topic speak to ANY headmaster at a D2 school. Maybe it happens in a decade or more but even then not all D2 schools would do it.

All the complaining from the privates about travel...I don't see it, at least in the west.Regions 6, 7, and 8 are probably closer knit in this proposal than the old districts that the DI privates played in. 15A frequently had one hour travel times for games, and the furthest two approached two hours apart...don't see that here.

The closest game to Knoxville Catholic in this scenario is 1.5- 2 hours away with most games being 3+ hours.