CRB leaving CAK

QSouth89

Realistically, no. The assistant coaches who presumably will be retained on staff are very good position coaches, but neither has any experience as a head coach or even as an OC or DC. The current middle school coach, who is apparently one of the finalists for the HC job, previously was on the high school coaching staff, where he coached DL and special teams. He's done a good job with the MS team but, to my knowledge, has no high school experience as a HC or OC or DC.

If the hire ends up being the OC from Georgia or DC from Ensworth, I still expect CAK to field a fairly potent offense this year. It might be a little less pass-heavy, in other words, more balanced run vs. pass. But with a gunslinger senior QB coming back and a couple of experienced skill players to spread the ball around to, the offense should be OK this year. I might be overly optimistic but time will tell.

I want to throw in my 2 cents here about the coaching change. I always enjoyed watching CAK as a second favorite team to see besides Maryville because of the offense Bradley ran. I know if a new coach comes in and changes things on offense it will be for the worse and not for the better. You can't fix perfection and I feel if they get someone in defensive minded and change things your program just bought tickets for a ride on the Titanic. Were there no one on staff that were capable of moving up the ladder?

...I still expect CAK to field a fairly potent offense this year. It might be a little less pass-heavy, in other words, more balanced run vs. pass. But with a gunslinger senior QB coming back and a couple of experienced skill players to spread the ball around to, the offense should be OK this year. I might be overly optimistic but time will tell.

Love the QB we've got but also would like to see a more balanced approach. Haven't seen a lot of CAK football, but getting to watch most the games last year I was impressed by 5, who I understand is a freshman, and 21 did a good job catching the ball out of the backfield when given the chance. I think you're right that those 2 will give us a good chance at a really balanced run attack next year

Those aren't the ones I was talking about, but I nevertheless agree that 5 & 21 will be expected to step up and play key roles in this year's team and both have a lot of potential.

Love the QB we've got but also would like to see a more balanced approach. Haven't seen a lot of CAK football, but getting to watch most the games last year I was impressed by 5, who I understand is a freshman, and 21 did a good job catching the ball out of the backfield when given the chance. I think you're right that those 2 will give us a good chance at a really balanced run attack next year

I think a good head coach offensive or defensive will understand what CAK has been successful at in the past and would add on to that regardless if they are defensive or offensive minded, whatever that means.  I am sure the new coach will have some of the assistants from last year to incorporate principles of that potent offense.  If CAK could have a strong defense and a strong offense along with a strong weight room emphasis with them moving into the private school league soon, could only spell trouble to the opposing teams CAK will see in the future.  Regardless, I think the athletic staff will make a great hire and will put the young men at CAK in a very advantageous position to be successful on and off the field.

I think you make a good point.  Regardless of whether the new coach has a background as a DC or an OC who might prefer a different style of offense than CAK has run in recent years, he would not want to go out and run the ball 90% of the time when he inherits a senior QB who can spread the ball around the field with great accuracy.  The first year or two it would seem smart to run a scheme that takes into account not only the ideal system you like to run but also the talent you're inheriting.

I think a good head coach offensive or defensive will understand what CAK has been successful at in the past and would add on to that regardless if they are defensive or offensive minded, whatever that means.  I am sure the new coach will have some of the assistants from last year to incorporate principles of that potent offense.  If CAK could have a strong defense and a strong offense along with a strong weight room emphasis with them moving into the private school league soon, could only spell trouble to the opposing teams CAK will see in the future.  Regardless, I think the athletic staff will make a great hire and will put the young men at CAK in a very advantageous position to be successful on and off the field.

Coming up with a reasonable compensation package should not be a problem, though some of the comments I've seen here about the original "listed" salary are discouraging.

Mark Bradley made good money at CAK (perhaps more than Rusty because of his years of teaching, etc.).  He's going to Jackson with Rusty, so that should free up some money in addition to what was being paid to Rusty.  The school had enough money to start a new sport this spring--lacrosse.  And tuition has gone up a good amount the last couple of years and again for next school year.  If the search committee has spent the time finding the coach they want, the deal needs to get done so the boys can have a spring practice like all the other teams in their district.

Not what I was told.  Seems like negotiations after an offer had been extended hit a stumbling block.