Bradley, Soddy and Cleveland

DaChampsAgain

Probably the 3 best teams in history of Tennessee and maybe even this year. It sucks knowing that 1 of the 3 will not be making it to state. Kinda wish Soddy was in a different Region (but still wrestle this every year) so all 3 would be in it. 3 semifinal teams, but one won't be there. Just sucks!

Agree that it sucks that one will have to stay home but disagree that Cleveland is top 3 this year. I believe BC, WC, Soddy, & Beech will be the place winners next week. Another team might slip into the consi finals if the brackets force two of these to meet on the same side.

Yes Cleveland would have qualified out of most other regions but the level of competition in Chattanooga area year in and out is what has created the standard that everyone else is chasing. Take one of those teams away and in a few years the gap closes quicker.

• Upvote 1

Probably the 3 best teams in history of Tennessee and maybe even this year. It sucks knowing that 1 of the 3 will not be making it to state. Kinda wish Soddy was in a different Region (but still wrestle this every year) so all 3 would be in it. 3 semifinal teams, but one won't be there. Just sucks!

Three (3) best teams in the history of Tennessee? There are a few other teams that would have legit claims to that title. How many titles did Bradley, Cleveland & Soddy win before the split?
  • Upvote 1

I seem to remember a certain Irish team running two of those programs out of the gym in the same weekend earlier this season so no, I would say neither of those two are the best "this year."

And as others have noted, the split benefitted those programs immensely. I can only assume you've been following TN wrestling for the last five years or so

I seem to remember a certain Irish team running two of those programs out of the gym in the same weekend earlier this season so no, I would say neither of those two are the best "this year."

And as others have noted, the split benefitted those programs immensely. I can only assume you've been following TN wrestling for the last five years or so

I agree this year no argument can't be. Before the split. I know Cleveland won at least one had a few champs. Bradley's program could hardly fill a roster before Jackson arrived. Legman being their first champ in 84 I think and then coming back started the Bears off and then the split occurred. I've seen years when the privates would of beaten them also seen years where they probably would of won against them. Hard to say so it benefitted as you say not only those 3 but the privates as well plus helped grow the sport In Tn. As far as public go Bradley raised the bar everyone had to rise to meet them then the TSSAA decide to split the publics too. Just curious how many did Father Ryan win before the split and after? IrishDad CBG.

Edited by anotherback

Eh.. I'm not talking bout them recruiting schools this year.. Notice I said all 3 could be in the final 4 if we wasn't in the same region.. This wasn't toward public and recruiting schools.. It's hard to keep up with them schools.. Not even gonna lie bout that.. FR is a very good team and is most likely the best team in Tennessee this year, by far.. Ive been following wrestling since I grad in 92. Splits happened somewhere around that time I do believe. It'd be hard for any team to compare to what Bradley has done in the last 20 years or so. Since 94. 22 times state champs. That's pretty impressive. Public or private school. I also said "probably" 3 of the best. It's be hard to take away McCallie as maybe the best program in Tennessee in history. Them fellers was bad to the bone.

This being said.. I'll reword what I meant...

It sucks that Bradley, Cleveland and Soddy is in the same region. PROBABLY the 3 best PUBLIC schools THIS YEAR. Knowing all 3 could very well be in the final 4. And now.. That just sucks!

Sorry privates. Didn't mean to ruffles y'all's feathers.

I agree this year no argument can't be. Before the split. I know Cleveland won at least one had a few champs. Bradley's program could hardly fill a roster before Jackson arrived. Legman being their first champ in 84 I think and then coming back started the Bears off and then the split occurred. I've seen years when the privates would of beaten them also seen years where they probably would of won against them. Hard to say so it benefitted as you say not only those 3 but the privates as well plus helped grow the sport In Tn. As far as public go Bradley raised the bar everyone had to rise to meet them then the TSSAA decide to split the publics too. Just curious how many did Father Ryan win before the split and after? IrishDad CBG.

State Championships (Duals)

Bradley            12    1st    1994

Baylor                9    1st    2001 

Ryan                  7    1st    1989

Cleveland          6     1st   1992

McCallie            6     1st    1990

Soddy                4     1st    1989  (Small School Division)

Individual State Championships

Bradley     10     1st     1998

Baylor       14      (Before Split) 1962, 78, 79, 81

Ryan         14      (Before Split) 1969, 71, 74, 77, 87, 89

McCallie     8      (Before Split)  1976, 82, 85, 86, 90, 91, 92, 93

Cleveland   6      (Before Split)  1980, 94

Soddy         3      1st                  2006

• Upvote 1