Moving to Division II

boxer822

Not sure how the Tennessean article is worded, but Lipscomb will be playing in the upper half in all sports but football.  There was never any possibility that things would be otherwise in those sports.  If the Tennessean said otherwise, they are mistaken.

Here is the article link. http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/10/12/lipscomb-academy-mtcs-join-tssaa-division-ii/91971930/

No argument about the poverty vs. prosperity part. But that's not what I was talking about. You said FC selects their athletes. It's just inaccurate. Don't confuse FC with the Metro Nashville area privates. There's not a lot of similarity. We can argue about this till the cows come home and we won't see it the same. Those who are blessed to be able to choose private Christian education, often do. Remember also any improvements to the facilities or equipment are from donations. The school has to raise money to just keep the doors open. There are no tax subsidies at any level. It is a sacrifice for a lot of us to send our kids there. I could provide my wife a much nicer car than the '08 she drives now. It is hard for us but we are convinced the investment is worth it. My family has given their life to education...mostly public. I hope this option remains viable for those with the means and inclination.

I agree with everything you said. But using that 08 example is making me look bad. My wife was happy with the 92 Chevy till she read your post. 😉

For those of you new to D2, welcome. You will not see as many posts on these message boards but remember each post actually counts as 1.8 posts on the D1 board, so in theory it evens out.

Post of the freaking year! Each post equals 1.8. You sir stole a perfect line from me. Why didn't I think of that. My hat is off and humbled by your sense of humor.

Here is what I have been led to believe. The numbers were established as a carrot on a stick to entice all D1 privates to make the move to D2. (I.e. "You don't ask someone to buy a house without looking at it first".) Some schools were on the fence not knowing where they would fall if they made the move, but knew where they would be if they stayed D1. By setting enrollment on the front end, most private schools took the bait and left D1. In that respect, it almost worked.

I think these numbers will last 4 years (unless Knoxville Catholic and/or Columbia Academy win the state in football in 2017 and blow things up early) and then in 4 years, the numbers between the classes will be evened out. This is just my humble opinion based on talking with people who were at the meetings.

My guess is that by 2020, at the latest, all privates will be forced into D2 and classes will be even.

Here is what I have been led to believe. The numbers were established as a carrot on a stick to entice all D1 privates to make the move to D2. (I.e. "You don't ask someone to buy a house without looking at it first".) Some schools were on the fence not knowing where they would fall if they made the move, but knew where they would be if they stayed D1. By setting enrollment on the front end, most private schools took the bait and left D1. In that respect, it almost worked.

I think these numbers will last 4 years (unless Knoxville Catholic and/or Columbia Academy win the state in football in 2017 and blow things up early) and then in 4 years, the numbers between the classes will be evened out. This is just my humble opinion based on talking with people who were at the meetings.

My guess is that by 2020, at the latest, all privates will be forced into D2 and classes will be even.

Thank you. I can the point now. Schools needed to know where they'd be slotted rather than the moving target based on who moved or not.

I also think your logic in regards to the future of D2 makes sense.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but in the future can DII team play DI team for non district/region games?  For example can DI team use the open weeks that are non district/regional games to schedule a DII?  

Or is it now forever forbidden that public's can't play private ever?

Can they?  Yes.  Will they?  Some will and some won't.  in the past, MBA has played Pearl-Cohn and a few others but that is about it.