Elizabethtown vs Johnson County

BigFan1966

I know who you are and you're relationship with Coach Dugger. That relationship has your judgement cloudled here. If you honestly believe he did not text Alexis Bowers to come back to Elizabethton, you are wrong. If you think he did not text KJ, you are wrong. Simple as that.

My relationship with Coach Dugger has not clouded my judgment. I don't agree with everything that Coach Dugger has done or even does. But, he often "gets credit" for doing things he didn't do. I don't know for sure whether he texted Bowers or not and asked her to come back. Regardless, she was zoned for Elizabethton and went there as a freshman until a rift between her dad and the coaches/parents. So even if he did ask her back, how is that considered recruiting (especially since there was no legitimate move when she transferred the first time)? By the way, Coach Dugger was coaching the boys and not the girls at this time as directed by the superintendent for one year. As for KJ, I don't know whether he texted her and asked her to come to Elizabethton or not. However, I do know she considered coming to Elizabethton after middle school, but chose to attend HV.

Does the Elizabethton coach recruit?  Sure he does.  So do a lot of other coaches.  Does it make it right? No.  But it goes on.  What is sad to me is the TSSAA only comes down on some one when they feel like it.  What made them do something now?  Who knows.  This could have been done many times before, not only to the Elizabethton coach but to a lot of other area coaches.  I've known situations where one school has been penalized for doing something when another school did the same thing in the same place and nothing was done.  The only consist thing about the TSSAA is their inconsistency.

All coaches try to get good kids into there program. I totally agree the only thing consistent about the TSSAA is inconsistency. The folks from Carter County schools that are on this forum or others bashing EHS over this are total hypocrites as there is more cheating (out of season practicing mostly) going on at these remote schools than anywhere I know.

No, they put them on probation for cheating. They violated TSSAA rules, their principal confirmed. That IS worthy of reporting.

The principal confirmed receipt of the letter from the TSSAA and that the administration accepted the punishment. I doubt there was any real interest on the part of the administration in getting the facts because I know what was reported in the paper is NOT accurate. Probably the most sad fact is that our administration (not to include the principal which is super supportive) is not particularly supportive of the girls basketball program. Maybe it's too much of a threat to boys' basketball and football???

Actually Coach Weems was the coach when Kristen Powell moved to Elizabethton. She left because of personal and academic reasons. Sports were not the main concern. Coach Dugger became the coach after she moved.

yeah that's right sorry about that but I don't think personal reasons had anything to do with it,it was all academic and athletic reasons

The principal confirmed receipt of the letter from the TSSAA and that the administration accepted the punishment. I doubt there was any real interest on the part of the administration in getting the facts because I know what was reported in the paper is NOT accurate. Probably the most sad fact is that our administration (not to include the principal which is super supportive) is not particularly supportive of the girls basketball program. Maybe it's too much of a threat to boys' basketball and football???

I wouldn't be surprised if they accepted the punishment to deter the TSSAA  from looking at the other sports. Football gets a lot more transfers than these girls do.

Baseball in Erwin comes to mind on that one lol.. But yeah, cheating of some form or another happens everywhere. Elizabethton just happened to be outed and caught. Nothing to do about it but move on.

I wouldnt say that all programs are cheating.  There are some that are trying to do it the right way.  Those are also the teams that are middle or bottom of the pack.  There are all sorts of tales of players having keys to the gym, prohibited practices, recruiting, players living out of district or even out of state.  People seem to look the other way when its their school and cry foul when its someone elses school.  But I can tell you I have never read on here someone crying foul at their own school.

I dont think the Besty girls should be punished.  From what I understand, most of them are homegrown.  I, however, think the coach(s) should be punished.  Immediately and swiftly. 

I wouldnt say that all programs are cheating. There are some that are trying to do it the right way. Those are also the teams that are middle or bottom of the pack. There are all sorts of tales of players having keys to the gym, prohibited practices, recruiting, players living out of district or even out of state. People seem to look the other way when its their school and cry foul when its someone elses school. But I can tell you I have never read on here someone crying foul at their own school.

I dont think the Besty girls should be punished. From what I understand, most of them are homegrown. I, however, think the coach(s) should be punished. Immediately and swiftly.

Out of everything you stated the only 2 things that would be illegal is the prohibited practices and recruiting. Having access to sports facilities is not illegal as long as it's not mandatory and the coach isn't coaching or trying to teach. If I had dollar for every time the cops would come to our highschool because we were running routes in the summer for football to make sure it was just us. It sure as yeck helped too! It's also on a school system basis as to allowing out of county or out of state students.

I wouldnt say that all programs are cheating. There are some that are trying to do it the right way. Those are also the teams that are middle or bottom of the pack. There are all sorts of tales of players having keys to the gym, prohibited practices, recruiting, players living out of district or even out of state. People seem to look the other way when its their school and cry foul when its someone elses school. But I can tell you I have never read on here someone crying foul at their own school.

I dont think the Besty girls should be punished. From what I understand, most of them are homegrown. I, however, think the coach(s) should be punished. Immediately and swiftly.

Edited by Swipes

If you scored 41 points in the 1st quarter and you had already beat the team by that much the 1st round then why not pull all 5 starters out to start the 2nd quarter, or maybe show some class and start the JV unless coach has no confidence in his 2nd and 3rd string No hater here at all could care less who wins in AA, just thinking of the players on the other team and what this will do to there confidence. Cause i'm sure if you daughter played and the tables where turned you would feel the same way about it. 

If you don't want to get blown out/score ran up on you, then you need to get better. Improve as a team and make sure that it doesn't happen. Stop crying...and get better.

What does that prove? Its easy to crow when your the big rooster. New day on the horizon for Etown. Remember this statement in a couple years.

Actually I've been on both sides of it.... my alma mater made 2 consecutive trips to the 'Boro. They were routing teams left and right, this year they struggled to even win 10 games. So Yea I can "crow" with the best of them as I have been on both sides of the fence.