Elizabethtown vs Johnson County

BigFan1966

We're you there swipes?

At the game in question No, I was at the Sullivan North game when the score was the same, and what has been described of starters not playing past half, not reaching their scoring avg., and the 2nd and 3rd string playing and scoring double figures is what happened in the Sullivan North game too. The big problem is have with all this is why wait till the last game of the regular season to try and call them out for running the score up when if anyone would just look at their schedule this has been normal all year. Not just against your johnson counties or Sullivan Norths.quote Their closes game all year has been 18 pts against Greeneville and everything else has been 20, 30, 40, 50 pts blowouts

My advice is to quit whining and get better. If the coach put his subs in which he did then just get better. We are filled with a society that says everyone gets a trophy which will be our demise at some point. Life isn't fair, use it as a teaching lesson to motivate the kids to get better because once they are out of school no one is going to worry about their confidence. Just my two cents worth.... :popcorneater:

Coacht needs a like button. Etown cyclones gold ball 2016

Coacht needs a like button. Etown cyclones gold ball 2016

Agreed, it will take a monumental effort this year to beat this group of young ladies.  McMinn Central is the only one that has a shot in my opinion so i hope these two teams get in opposite brackets in Murfreesboro.  Otherwise the championship game will be played early.  :popcorneater:

No doubt Etown is an awesome team. I kept up with their scores. Saw them at state last year and was very impressed. However, similar comments about E town were said last year and MLK beat them. Good basketball is played all over the state. It's hard to compare teams until the tournament starts. Can't wait to see E town at state again this year.

Agreed, it will take a monumental effort this year to beat this group of young ladies. McMinn Central is the only one that has a shot in my opinion so i hope these two teams get in opposite brackets in Murfreesboro. Otherwise the championship game will be played early. :popcorneater:

getting a little excited UC. Alot of bball left yet. Don't Steve Harvey them early again this year.

Good teams should be turned lose to score as many points as they can, its the only way to get better is to play teams better then you. Young teams like JC and North I'm sure were embarrassed by EHS and that will do ether one of two things, they will be motivated to hit the gym so that does not happen again or just reside to cost and get use to thumpings. I was at both games and it was the younger girls that don't play as much playing and their shots were falling. So you tell then not to shoot when they work into an open shot? Just think all year the younger ones have watched from the bench and are pounded on by the seniors every day at practice for several years, and when they get their chance to play, you let them play. Score be darned.

Says the team that won by 90 points.  Been on both ends, it gets to a point where it doesn't do anybody any good.  It's like going out back and playing your 7 year old kid brother, you can score and do anything you want anytime you want.  So what does that prove.  How does that make you any better.  You can go 50% and still score and take the ball anytime you want.  Yes, I agree you want you younger kids to play hard and they deserve to play but there are other areas to work on:  clock management, execution of plays, contain defense (when you face an opponent that is as quick as you are), etc.  With a running clock you make the score as bad as you want.  I can't see any motivation for the team that got beat.  Would a 70 point loss, 50 point loss been motivation to them? So you think the coach can go in after a game and say, "hey if you all work harder you can beat them next year, we can get 90 points better".  Would you believe that?  The only thing that happens is the ill feelings that have started between these young people.  Where is the sportsmanship?  I've heard, "we could have beaten them by 150", sure and you could have beaten them by 40.  Would that have made it less of a win?  Sometimes you are just better than your opponent.  They know it, you know it and everybody else knows it.  Does it take this type of win to prove it?  In my opinion I don't think so. 

Says the team that won by 90 points.  Been on both ends, it gets to a point where it doesn't do anybody any good.  It's like going out back and playing your 7 year old kid brother, you can score and do anything you want anytime you want.  So what does that prove.  How does that make you any better.  You can go 50% and still score and take the ball anytime you want.  Yes, I agree you want you younger kids to play hard and they deserve to play but there are other areas to work on:  clock management, execution of plays, contain defense (when you face an opponent that is as quick as you are), etc.  With a running clock you make the score as bad as you want.  I can't see any motivation for the team that got beat.  Would a 70 point loss, 50 point loss been motivation to them? So you think the coach can go in after a game and say, "hey if you all work harder you can beat them next year, we can get 90 points better".  Would you believe that?  The only thing that happens is the ill feelings that have started between these young people.  Where is the sportsmanship?  I've heard, "we could have beaten them by 150", sure and you could have beaten them by 40.  Would that have made it less of a win?  Sometimes you are just better than your opponent.  They know it, you know it and everybody else knows it.  Does it take this type of win to prove it?  In my opinion I don't think so.

Maybe we should just give the other team a choice to forfeit so people won't get their feelings hurt. If a teams starters can't stop 3rd string players then get better. I could see the Ill feelings if they had left their starters in, but as a former high school coach you don't tell your 3rd string to not score when they have an open shot. I'm pretty sure when the 2nd and 3rd string were in they were working on executing their plays and probably why they were scoring. We have a soft society when it comes to losing

Didn't say anything about asking someone not to score.  Said the same thing could have been accomplished by other means.  Run 15 seconds off then clock then run your set, have a post kid touch the ball before you go into offense.  Just many things you can work on to get better besides just shooting and scoring.  LIke it's been said, these kids don't get that much of an opportunity to play so why not use it to do some teaching instead of just some playing.  These areas are hard to learn in practice so why not take this opportunity to get better.  Again, don't learn much just being able to score whenever and however you want.  That will not happen against the better teams.  I do agree we have a softer society and by no means am I saying you should "let up" on anyone, just do a better of job of using an opportunity to learn.  This would accomplish benefits for both teams.  As a former high school coach you should understand this.

Edited by screenandroll

Didn't say anything about asking someone not to score.  Said the same thing could have been accomplished by other means.  Run 15 seconds off then clock then run your set, have a post kid touch the ball before you go into offense.  Just many things you can work on to get better besides just shooting and scoring.  LIke it's been said, these kids don't get that much of an opportunity to play so why not use it to do some teaching instead of just some playing.  These areas are hard to learn in practice so why not take this opportunity to get better.  Again, don't learn much just being able to score whenever and however you want.  That will not happen against the better teams.  I do agree we have a softer society and by no means am I saying you should "let up" on anyone, just do a better of job of using an opportunity to learn.  This would accomplish benefits for both teams.  As a former high school coach you should understand this.

I'm sorry that I don't agree and have a different coaching and teaching philosophy than you. When your a coach and your 2nd and 3rd string have been practice all week and putting in their effort, they deserve to run the offense exactly how the first team would. You just said said these kids don't get a big opportunity to play so why wouldn't you let them play? That how you will see what they have learned and retained in practice. Practice is there for teaching and when you have one of the best teams in the state they are going to learn more in practice than what your trying to make it against a team like Johnson County. If the players have worked hard in practice then game day is were you showcase that hard work no matter who steps on the floor. That's how I was taught and that's my coaching philosophy.

This topic is growing particularly old. Folks on this forum as well as social media have questioned the character and/or class of the EHS coach and team because of the score of this game. This is ridiculous on both accounts. All these "so-called" experts in moral authority continue to offer thoughts on the circumstances of a game they didn't see. All this coulda, shoulda, woulda is absurd. Do you really think this coach or team enjoys playing the extremely weak teams at the bottom of the TRC? The most positive result is that you get through the game without an injury. Outside of that, you hope to maybe maintain game conditioning for your normal rotation, work on some offensive and/or defensive sets, and get the reserve players some playing time. All of that was accomplished during this game. Swipes, I agree with you that the entitlement attitude of the current generation has created a bunch softies. Life is not fair and everyone does not get a trophy in the real world. Move on folks...

Edited by etownsparky

This topic is growing particularly old. Folks on this forum as well as social media have questioned the character and/or class of the EHS coach and team because of the score of this game. This is ridiculous on both accounts. All these "so-called" experts in moral authority continue to offer thoughts on the circumstances of a game they didn't see. All this coulda, shoulda, woulda is absurd. Do you really think this coach or team enjoys playing the extremely weak teams at the bottom of the TRC? The most positive result is that you get through the game without an injury. Outside of that, you hope to maybe maintain game conditioning for your normal rotation, work on some offensive and/or defensive sets, and get the reserve players some playing time. All of that was accomplished during this game. Swipes, I agree with you that the entitlement attitude of the current generation has created a bunch softies. Life is not fair and everyone does not get a trophy in the real world. Move on folks...

Maybe people question the character of your coach because he's a cheater? Just a thought.

Wonder what the sanctions will be? Not enough, I'm sure.

Edited by NotThatItMatters