Clarksville Wrestling

Firemans

Wrestling in Tennessee is very much a grassroots sport and if a high school does not have a strong youth & middle school feeder program they will not be successful.  How strong of a youth & middle school program does Clarksville have and do all the kids go to Clarksville High School?

I doubt that is it. coach Badon is one of the best coaches in the state and a good man. Clarksville is not the only "game" in town now as far as wrestling. Many newer HS's have excellent programs and may be getting some of the top kids. Artie Manning retiring probably doesnt help either. He is a dynamo, loved by kids and parents. He got kids out and they didnt want to disappoint him.

• Upvote 1

Dave Isbell is doing great things with team Clarksville. he is insuring that not only will Clarksville high be on top of the podium again within the next few years but the level of competition coming from the Clarksville area in general will be elevated! And as for coach Badon He is one of the finest technical and ethical coaches in the state.

• Upvote 1

Dave Isbell is doing great things with team Clarksville. he is insuring that not only will Clarksville high be on top of the podium again within the next few years but the level of competition coming from the Clarksville area in general will be elevated! And as for coach Badon He is one of the finest technical and ethical coaches in the state.

Amen to that. Tommy is a fine man and a very good coach. If they don't appreciate him up there I am sure they can find a place at Father Ryan.

As a former Coach in the Clarksville area, who coached against Coach Badon at Dickson and at CHS, I can tell you he is not the problem. I heard they were decimated by injuries this year to their upper classmen. Dave Isbell does a great job with their youth program as well. Even though we were rivals and always beat us handedly, he continuously offered my program advice and put me in contact with some of his folks to establish a feeder program for our school. He is a phenomenal coach and an even better person. He'll get them back on the right track.

• Upvote 2

I haven't been in the room for a few years. With that being said, I think that there is a multitude of issues. I don't think that coaching is THE issue. I think it starts with the kids in the school. From what I've been told it has been difficult for many of the athletics programs at CHS getting committed kids out to participate and buy in to the programs. Honestly, the wrestling program was at such a high level for so long it may have become daunting for some kids to want to participate. The athletes playing football or other sports don't seem interested and only make it for a week (it's been like that for 20+ years) for one reason or another. The other sports have gotten so specialized and only want kids focusing on their main sport. Fall and Spring sport coaches should be pushing their kids to wrestle for the benefit of the strength, conditioning, and confidence building wrestling provides.

The team at the top can't always be at the top. CHS is pretty close to the bottom now and can only look up from this year. Deadlift has a heck of a feeder program going now and things should be on the uptick. If they can meet or exceed the level of competition the late 90's, early and mid 2000's teams had they'll be back on top for sure.

The writing on the wall has been there. Those involved in the program saw this coming and the ones involved see what's coming next. We can only stay tuned, support the program, and see where those working in the room and building the program back up will take it.

Great post MatWizard.  Brings insight that more than 1 thing could be the problem. Thanks for the beneficial insight from some other posts above.  However;

It's irrelevant if I know the coach or not.

It's irrelevant if Badon is a nice man or not. 

It's irrelevant if I know how to build a program or not. Hamblin, the CHS program was built years ago and 20-something straight region championships proves that.

It's relevant to say that Clarksville wrestling is irrelevant today and that just so happens to fall under Badon's leadership. Fact. I guess we'll see if he can "rebuild" the program back to the days of Coach Jordan. It sounds like the talent is young here with more coming up.

Best of luck to CHS and hope they turn it around. Good to know Isbell and crew are putting in the efforts to hopefully ensure future success. We shall see....