Can District 7A sweep District 8A in region?

UCSportsFan

Its a given that Jackson County and Pickett County are going to win their 1st round region games.  My question is, can Clarkrange and Clay County win on the road?  Not sure if everyone knows this or not but i believe Pickett County is still unable to host a region/substate game.  If this is incorrect i'm sure the PC faithful will help me out here.  If i am correct that means only Jackson County will host a home game, however in PC's case it won't matter as much.  Let's hear from some 8A fans on this!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a given that Jackson County and Pickett County are going to win their 1st round region games.  My question is, can Clarkrange and Clay County win on the road?  Not sure if everyone knows this or not but i believe Pickett County is still unable to host a region/substate game.  If this is incorrect i'm sure the PC faithful will help me out here.  If i am correct that means only Jackson County will host a home game, however in PC's case it won't matter as much.  Let's hear from some 8A fans on this!

Yes it's true no home tournament games this year.  Punishment doesn't fit the crime, but what can you do? 

For a fight between Maryville and William Blount boys basketball last January, which involved student athletes as well as fans, only fines and probation were issued, with no post-season restrictions.  Wonder what the difference was?  The Knoxville News-Sentinel has the letters from TSSAA to the individual schools posted if you want to check my facts.

In 2010, Lawrence County and Shelbyville had an on the court brawl between members of the Shelbyville boys' basketball team and the Lawrence County fans.  No members of the Lawrence County team were involved.  (Sounds just like the Pickett County-York incident, doesn't it?)  Result?  Fines and 2 year probation, no post-season punishment.  Again I wonder what was different about the Pickett County situation?  Do a google search to confirm, if you want.

Anyway, yes, there will be no games at home this year for Pickett.  Water under the bridge, I suppose.  Still, the lack of consistency in punishment is irritating, or interesting, or whatever you want to call it.

Yes it's true no home tournament games this year. Punishment doesn't fit the crime, but what can you do?

For a fight between Maryville and William Blount boys basketball last January, which involved student athletes as well as fans, only fines and probation were issued, with no post-season restrictions. Wonder what the difference was? The Knoxville News-Sentinel has the letters from TSSAA to the individual schools posted if you want to check my facts.

In 2010, Lawrence County and Shelbyville had an on the court brawl between members of the Shelbyville boys' basketball team and the Lawrence County fans. No members of the Lawrence County team were involved. (Sounds just like the Pickett County-York incident, doesn't it?) Result? Fines and 2 year probation, no post-season punishment. Again I wonder what was different about the Pickett County situation? Do a google search to confirm, if you want.

Anyway, yes, there will be no games at home this year for Pickett. Water under the bridge, I suppose. Still, the lack of consistency in punishment is irritating, or interesting, or whatever you want to call it.

At least you got to play in the postseason the last two years. Now a 2 year ban, that is the definition of the punishment not fitting the crime. Edited by tnhoosier

At least you got to play in the postseason the last two years. Now a 2 year ban, that is the definition of the punishment not fitting the crime.

Can't argue with that, not at all.  Really have a hard time figuring out what the motive was behind this particular punishment.  Regardless, congrats to the Lady Bobcats on winning the district.  They travel to Gordonsville on Friday in a rematch of last year's opening round of the region.

Can't argue with that, not at all.  Really have a hard time figuring out what the motive was behind this particular punishment.  Regardless, congrats to the Lady Bobcats on winning the district.  They travel to Gordonsville on Friday in a rematch of last year's opening round of the region.

Fan control is what it is about. Too bad the girls have to suffer for what happened in the boys game.

Edited by jimbo44

Fan control is what it is about. Too bad the girls have to suffer for what happened in the boys game.

Yes but it was about fan control in both the incidents I cited above, too.  In both cases, one that occurred before the Pickett-York incident, and one that occurred after, only probation for 2 years.  No postseason ban, and no postseason sanctions of any kind.  Yet, for Pickett-York, initially both boys teams banned from postseason for one year, then on appeal changed to no postseason games at home for 2 years for the entire athletic department of Pickett, along with other sanctions regarding student attendance.  It was even worse for York boys, with complete postseason ban for what amounted to 3 years.  Please read about both incidents posted above (not from just me, look at what google will turn up)  and tell me what was different about the Pickett-York incident to justify a departure from previous TSSAA sanctions.  Not complaining about getting punished, which was justified, completely, just wondering about the lack of consistency from TSSAA.

The question for me is how good are the Goodpasture girls?  They seem to be playing better than their record would indicate, particularly of late.  RBS is improved, I think they are well coached (from the 4 games I've seen them play), but Clarkrange is a tough place to get a win, particularly in a win or go home game.  Jackson and Pickett should win, Jackson with a tougher game on paper at least.  I think Clay gets it done and all 4 7A teams come back to Livingston.

No one has to win AT clarkrange....Clarkrange has to travel to Watertown. PC should walk through Gordonsville but the second game will be a tough one (for all the marbles and a substate appearance). Jackson and RBS has the potential to be a good game, but I think Jackson wins it by double digits in the end. Clarkrange/Watertown and Clay/Goodpasture could go either way. Clay could get past Goodpasture. They have the talent, never know this time of the year. Clarkrange and Watertown has the best good game potential I think, as I feel like Watertown will want it fast paced, but Clarkrange will want it any thing BUT FAST PACED! Could be a good one.