D1AAA states. Is a 32 bracket fair? If not whats the solution?

wantitbad

Why are schools determined to be AA when in many cases the number of students and the location of schools are similar? Can anyone with insight shed light?

I know of a kid who has a best friend who attends a school right up the road. Kid A had to wrestle 2 very tough matches at states to get to the quarters and his buddy came to states and  started at quarters. The two schools are very similar in location and number of students but school B be is in an easy aa district and has a cakewalk to the round of 8 in states and school A is in a very tough aaa district and has a brutal 32 bracket at states. Why is this?

Edited by wantitbad

Why are schools determined to be AA when in many cases the number of students and the location of schools are similar? Can anyone with insight shed light?

I know of a kid who has a best friend who attends a school right up the road. Kid A had to wrestle 2 very tough matches at states to get to the quarters and his buddy came to states and  started at quarters. The two schools are very similar in location and number of students but school B be is in an easy aa district and has a cakewalk to the round of 8 in states and school A is in a very tough aaa district and has a brutal 32 bracket at states. Why is this?

The only bracket that started in the quarters was the D2 8 man bracket.

Thanks , I may need to do my homework. Just wondering about the criteria for determination of double and triple a . It may not have been an 8 round but Im pretty sure it wasn't a 32 round.

A-AA has a 16 man bracket so a wrestler would have to win his first match to advance to the quarters.

There is never going to be a perfect system. Looked a little better this year but in some years there have been regions so strong that the top 5  wrestlers in the state were in one region and in years gone by 2 of them would have been watching from the stands at the state tournament.  They got to watch a region champ from a weak region who a our spectators may well have pinned during the season wrestle for a title. Taking the top 4 rather than 3 from each region helps but still far from perfect. It happens at all levels in all sports. Look at football, the Wash. Redskins ,  win a terrible division, with a mediocre record and not only are in the playoffs but get home field to boot. About 6 better teams got to watch them on TV rather than be in a playoff game. Life ain't fair. Just have to deal with it.

point taken. But it is kind of dis-heartening to see kids working tables with volunteer shirts on, in matches to which they are a lot better wrestlers than the ones on the mat. I guess a true competitor loves the competition but it would be nice to see, time, expense and effort rewarded equally and not see some really good kids not get any recognition because they go to the wrong school..  

Edited by wantitbad

A-AA has 4 byes blind drawn in per weight class. So, yes many wrestlers start in the quarter finals. Currently there are only 3 regions with the top 4 qualifying. That makes for a 16 man bracket with only 12 wrestlers. Eventually the TSSAA plans to redraw the regions creating 4. However there's a temporary snag as some A-AA schools will be switched to private (D2). The AAA and AA classification is based solely on enrollment. I believe 850 and under is AA

Edited by Newestguy

when I was young in a different state we had a district, regional, then state individual tourney, but we didn't have a dual tourney, I think I prefer the value of a dual tourney for the team building aspect it helps reinforce.

That said a 32 man tourney is huge, and with broader regional tourney or call it a sectional tourney wouldn't you expect to really start to shake loose the best 16 man bracket for a state championship. I have no dog in the fight anymore, just my thoughts. Further - (thurs, fri, sat night) is tooo long!