Clay Co vs Hampton

uknoit2

I believe it may be one of the funnest games to be played...Others? Well, they see us getting blowed out...and very well may happen.

If you make it to the game, post early Thursday morning and you can socialize with the hicks of NE TN.... I'll introduce you to a few rednecks...and Maybe even Galilee :D

haha. Well I have family in Jonesborough, love that area. It is beautiful up there and a friend that works in the athletic department @ ETSU. If no one has every been up that way they need to visit at least once. No doubt I will try to visit and meet you guys. I tell ya, not having seen Hampton play this year, this thread has brought more interest to the to game. I am not even playing and my juices are starting to get going!!

Who should I be paying attention to and what should I expect to see with this group of boys from Hampton?

Do they press? Half court trap? Straight get in your face man to man?

What about offensive sets? Motion type? High low game?

You gonna get on here and eat crow when Key scores 30+ against your man defense? Hampton may win and I'm not saying they won't I'm saying you cannot guard him one on one without him scoring 30+ points. I guarantee you that your coach has help side defense!

Question....In your opinion, which Hampton player could best play Key man up and hold him to, let's say 30

Edited by uknoit2

They might need to double team a little, this is not a one or even 2 horse race. My guess is this game will come down to the last 2 minutes. I've seen us snatch a couple of games from the jaws of defeat. The WILL to win is a huge thing and It seems our will is really strong.Like any sport about 50 percent of the game is mental.

This is a low key, cool bunch.

We don't clap our hands in someone's face after every score or defensive play....Bench doesn't set there clapping, stomping and chanting like cheerleaders....We come in and we leave having done what we do...win or lose.

If they can stop us, they deserve to move on

haha. Well I have family in Jonesborough, love that area. It is beautiful up there and a friend that works in the athletic department @ ETSU. If no one has every been up that way they need to visit at least once. No doubt I will try to visit and meet you guys. I tell ya, not having seen Hampton play this year, this thread has brought more interest to the to game. I am not even playing and my juices are starting to get going!!

Who should I be paying attention to and what should I expect to see with this group of boys from Hampton?

Do they press? Half court trap? Straight get in your face man to man?

What about offensive sets? Motion type? High low game?

The defensive cupboard will be bare after Coach Smith is done in this game...We're just not one dimensional on either side of the floor.

We're about 45 minutes NE of Jonesborough...Up in God's country...And it's absolutely beautiful around here and even more so when you get into Roan Mountain

I don't think we'll have to double team him...he doesn't create from 30' out and doesn't handle the ball all that much...unless it's an open drive or spin to the center...do I imagine we'll have 'help' defense within 15'? Sure...But we're just not a trapping, double-team kinda unit.

First, no Dog in the Race. I love fishing Dale Hollow and been going up there for years and have a good friend up there. I gone with him a couple of times and watched CC play. I played over 45 years ago against the ole Riverside teams and such when there was just 1 class in Basketball. The best player to this day that I ever played against or saw was Richard Fuqua who went on to play for Oral Roberts and ended up in the Old ABA. He led the country in scoring while at Oral Roberts. Enough of that but I have seen a little BB. I will say Key is that type of player. He can handle the ball and can create better than any HS player I have seen. Colleges don't recruit PG'S that can't handle the ball. I would love to see him as a running back at SP lol.   The boy has a heck of a future ahead of him.  The only downside I see is he is to nice. I love the fact that two rural schools are playing in the State Tx. Since I haven't seen Hampton play I can't and want predict the outcome but I have to pull for CC.  I do like that Pujo guy and would love to come up that way to fish Watauga some time.Good luck to both teams and would love for one of you to show those Memphis folks what small town ball is all about.

• Upvote 1

First, no Dog in the Race. I love fishing Dale Hollow and been going up there for years and have a good friend up there. I gone with him a couple of times and watched CC play. I played over 45 years ago against the ole Riverside teams and such when there was just 1 class in Basketball. The best player to this day that I ever played against or saw was Richard Fuqua who went on to play for Oral Roberts and ended up in the Old ABA. He led the country in scoring while at Oral Roberts. Enough of that but I have seen a little BB. I will say Key is that type of player. He can handle the ball and can create better than any HS player I have seen. Colleges don't recruit PG'S that can't handle the ball. I would love to see him as a running back at SP lol.   The boy has a heck of a future ahead of him.  The only downside I see is he is to nice. I love the fact that two rural schools are playing in the State Tx. Since I haven't seen Hampton play I can't and want predict the outcome but I have to pull for CC.  I do like that Pujo guy and would love to come up that way to fish Watauga some time.Good luck to both teams and would love for one of you to show those Memphis folks what small town ball is all about.

You ARE from "back in the day"!!!

Key is a talent and force for sure...But CC has others that can play....I've not seen many games where Key ran point much, so not sure of his ball handling skills...Guess we'll find out LOL

As for Memphis, shewwww those boys can play! But everyone can be beat and that's why ya play

You ARE from "back in the day"!!!

Key is a talent and force for sure...But CC has others that can play....I've not seen many games where Key ran point much, so not sure of his ball handling skills...Guess we'll find out LOL

As for Memphis, shewwww those boys can play! But everyone can be beat and that's why ya play

You sure you're watching CC games from this year? Key runs the point every game for 95% of the possessions.

We will have to disagree about him not creating his own shot from 30' out. He has done it all year while shooting 45% from the 3 (5-7 from 3 vs Marion County). He is being recruited as a PG for Vandy, University of TN, Belmont, Tennessee Tech, etc. so he can clearly handle and create.

Edited by Shozen

I watched the game against Sevier County also and I didn't see him run a lot of point... heck who knows what I've been watching haha

You all trying to trick us hicks?

I don't think hicks are smart enough to trick other hicks. We would just end up confusing ourself. 🤔 Edited by Shozen

LOL!!!!!

Men, I consider a PG as one that always brings the ball down, sets up every offensive set, double digit assists, and so on....This may well describe the Key kid to a Tee, but I'm just not seeing it on film....Heck, I'm excited to be playing against what some are saying is one of the five best players in TN with offers from everywhere! I really like and respect a kid that puts his work in

LOL!!!!!

Men, I consider a PG as one that always brings the ball down, sets up every offensive set, double digit assists, and so on....This may well describe the Key kid to a Tee, but I'm just not seeing it on film....Heck, I'm excited to be playing against what some are saying is one of the five best players in TN with offers from everywhere! I really like and respect a kid that puts his work in

He doesn't average 10 assists but he does average 5-7 and guranteed he brings it down he floor 95-98% of the time. Now a lot of the stuff is setup for him and Maybry especially if they want to post Tyreke up against someone.