Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

16 minutes ago, wrestler04 said:

Clearly all the UTC fans want to drive an extra two hours to Atlanta to see the Mocs.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but UTC has been doing a match down here for quite a while.  We don't get to see D1 wrestling often.  ATA is a great group and does a ton for wrestling in Georgia; I'm glad they've arranged to put this on.  

And for UTC, its a pretty good recruiting area.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2017 at 3:42 PM, wrestler04 said:

Serious question.  Have they ever done a match in Nashville? 

I cannot remember one. They should even though it's not convenient.

Perhaps Cumberland or MTSU can offer their facilities and mats, teams in the area can benefit from a % of proceeds, and help run a tri-match or quad with CU, SIUE, perhaps The Cumberlands.

Could help next level awareness and reel in some local talent and keep or wrestlers close to home more.

Marshall County Tribune

Rockets split early season dual match

Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Anthony S. Puca Sports Editor
2992380-L.jpg
Defending Class A-AA state champion Jeff Gross won both his matches at the dual meet Thursday night at Chapel Hill and has started the season at 9-2.
Tribune photos by Anthony S. Puca

The Forrest grapplers passed an important early season test Thursday night at Chapel Hill, splitting a tough dual meet.

The Rockets barely lost to Class AAA Wilson Central 45-33 before taking down longtime rival Eagleville 54-34.

“Wilson Central is one of the top programs in the state and we were very excited to have them here at our place,” Forrest coach Chris Slaughter said. “We were just very excited to have such a quality program travel down from Lebanon and harden our squad.”

Wilson County opened up the dual match with a big 77-21 win over the Eagles before coming up against a tough Forrest squad that jumped out to a 30-12 lead over the Wildcats.

The Rockets actually trailed 12-6 before reeling off four consecutive wins, beginning with a Bryton Spitzley pin over Jamari Quinn in the 152-pound weight class.

Cole Geeting picked up a forfeit at 160 before Noah Hill and Nick McClendon recorded back-to-back pins at 170 and 182.

Drew Carlisle, who finished in third place in the state tournament last season at 182-pounds has moved up to 190-pounds and the Forrest senior had a battle with Wilson Central’s Parker Bennett.

The bout went the distance with Bennett prevailing 7-5 and Carlisle was tagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty when he disagreed with the referees call on the rewarding of some points in his favor that he felt would have changed the match.

“Drew got pretty excited at the end there when he thought the ref missed a call that would have given him the lead,” Slaughter said. “I tend to agree with him, but we have to handle situations like that a little bit better.”

“Drew is going to be challenged this year and I think they are overlooking him again at 195 and I feel he is one of those guys that can sneak in there and get a state title.”

From there, the Wildcats won the next five bouts in a row to take the win.

Jeff Gross has also moved up in weight class as the reigning Class A/AA state champion at 113-pounds is wrestling at 126 this season and is currently 9-2 on the year.

“I wrestled all through the summer wrestling free style and Greco and I felt like I got a lot better before taking a break playing some football,” Gross said. “I do feel some pressure, but I feel confident because I know I’m working harder than a lot of people out there.”

Gross took on Thomas Oakley and dominated the Wildcat wrestler in a 10-1 major decision.

2992381-L.jpg
Nick McClendon is off to a great 2017 season, including two wins Thursday night.

Nick McClendon (182) opened up the match versus Eagleville and picked up his second win of the night when Kwon Park suffered an injured finger and could not continue.

“McClendon is just a tough kid, mean at times,” Slaughter said. “We had to have a talk about a few things, but overall you just have to find a way to make things happen and sometimes it’s just not pretty,” Slaughter said.

Carlisle and Braiden Vanderploeg (106) won by forfeits for Forrest and the Rockets forfeited at 220 and 285 pounds to make it 18-12 in favor of Chapel Hill.

Eagleville’s Gabe Pennington pinned Forest Ozburn (113) before Dillon Wade picked up another forfeit win at 120 to make it 24-18.

Gross took on Eagleville’s Blaine Fussell, who qualified for the state tournament last year at 120 pounds and the two grapplers battled for three rounds before Gross eked out a tough 5-1 win.

“Jeff is fighting the bug, I’m fighting the bug, we are all fighting the bug right now, so we are looking forward to getting a good weekend of wrestling in unscathed and then get a long week where we can get healthy and get some rest,” Slaughter said.

Aiden Spitzley took six more points for Forrest with a forfeit at 132 pounds before Wyatt McLemore pinned Forrest’s Hunter Pendley for the Eagles’ final points of the match.

2992382-L.jpg
Freshman Noah Hill has been a big surprise so far this year for the Rockets in the 170-pound weight class.

Carson Blackwell (145) started the clinching run with a pin over Rylan Randall and Bryton Spitzley (152) and Cole Geeting (160) recorded forfeit wins before Noah Hill (170) finished the match in style when he came up with a spirited 5-2 decision over Will Magoon.

“I’m very excited about Hill, he is busting his tail every day at practice,” Slaughter said. “He listens to the little things, he focuses on the little things and you can really tell that from going to eighth grade last year to a freshman this year and beating a senior (Magoon) who qualified for the state tournament last year.”

“I’ll take a squad full of guys like that all day long.”

The Rockets continued their fine form over the weekend when they posted a 3-1 mark at the Cheatham County duals.

Forrest recorded wins over Cheatham County (48-33), Springfield (39-30), and White House (52-21) with their only loss coming versus Fairview 42-33.

The Rockets are back in action tomorrow when they host Page and Nolensville in a dual match.

Wilson Central 45, Forrest 33

132-Alan Fort (Wilson Central), (Forfeit), 0-6

138-Hunter Pendley (Forrest), (Forfeit), 6-6

145-Levi Stone (Wilson Central) over Carson Blackwell (Forrest), (Fall 1:38), 6-12

152-Bryton Spitzley (Forrest) over Jamari Quinn (Wilson Central), (Fall 2:36), 12-12

160-Cole Geeting (Forrest), (Forfeit), 18-12

170-Noah Hill (Forrest) over Usvaldo Jaime (Wilson Central), (Fall 1:08), 24-12

182-Nick McClendon (Forrest) over Sinjin Noga (Wilson Central), (Fall 3:16), 30-12

195-Parker Bennett (Wilson Central) over Andrew Carlisle (Forrest), (Dec. 7-5), Unsportsmanlike (Carlisle), (-1), 29-15

220-Aundres’ Trotter (Wilson Central), (Forfeit), 29-21

285-Michael Kramer (Wilson Central), (Forfeit), 29-27

106-James Keith (Wilson Central) over Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest), (Fall 1:12), 29-33

113-Grant Fetters (Wilson Central) over Forest Ozburn (Forrest), (Fall 0:33), 29-39

120-Thomas Borders (Wilson Central) over Dillon Wade (Forrest), (Fall 1:01), 29-45
126-Jeffrey Gross (Forrest) over Thomas Oakley (Wilson Central), (MD 10-1), 33-45

Exhibition: Alan Fort (Wilson Central) over Aiden Spitzley (Forrest), (Fall 0:21)

Forrest 54, Eagleville 24

182-Nick McClendon (Forrest) over Kwon Park, (Injury time), 6-0

195-Andrew Carlisle (Forrest), (Forfeit), 12-0

220-Henry Martin (Eagleville), (Forfeit), 12-6

285-Nevan Sizemore (Eagleville), (Forfeit), 12-12

106-Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest), (Forfeit), 18-12

113-Gabe Pennington (Eagleville) over Forest Ozburn, (Fall 3:00), 18-18

120-Dillon Wade (Forrest), (Forfeit), 24-18

126-Jeffrey Gross (Forrest) over Blaine Fussell (Eagleville), (Dec. 5-1), 27-18

132-Aiden Spitzley (Forrest), (Forfeit), 33-18

138-Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) over Hunter Pendley (Forrest), (Fall 3:15), 33-24

145-Carson Blackwell (Forrest) over Rylan Randall (Eagleville), (Fall 1:32), 39-24

152-Bryton Spitzley (Forrest), (Forfeit), 45-24

160-Cole Geeting (Forrest), (Forfeit), 51-24

170-Noah Hill (Forrest) over Will Magoon (Eagleville), (Dec. 5-2), 54-24

Toggle navigation
1d69cab6-a696-11e6-a106-4ba82451877e.png

Sports Clips for Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017

Cherokees fall twice

McMinn County's Matthew Gossett (top) squares off against his opponent from East Hamilton on Tuesday at McMinn County High School.

Photo by Behn Tubman, McMinn County High School

Cherokees fall twice

McMinn County's wrestling team lost to Soddy-Daisy 65-9 and 48-28 to East Hamilton at home on Tuesday.

Individual results are as follows: 

London Wilkins (106) won by forfeit against Soddy-Daisy; lost by pin to East Hamilton.

* Gage Boggess (126) won in Sudden Victory overtime against Soddy-Daisy; won 12-1 against East Hamilton.

* Dylan Ricker (132) was out due to illness.

* Nyzaya Vincent (138) was out due to illness.

* Bryce Flynn (152) lost by pin against Soddy-Daisy; won by forfeit against East Hamilton

* Matthew Gossett (170) lost by pin against Soddy-Daisy; won by pin against East Hamilton.

* Alex Cooley (195) lost by pin against Soddy-Daisy; won by pin against East Hamilton.

* Jacob LaBeau (220) lost by pin to Soddy-Daisy; won by pin against East Hamilton.

* Lucas LaBeau (285) lost both matches by pin.

McMinn's next meet is at home on Thursday, Dec. 14, against Knox Karns and Polk County. Wrestling begins at 6 p.m.

McMinn Co building the sport in their area...

Congrats!!

1d69cab6-a696-11e6-a106-4ba82451877e.png

Sports Clips for Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017

Local wrestler wins title

CLEVELAND - McMinn Middle had two wrestlers place, including one finishing an undefeated season, at the Tennessee Valley Wrestling Conference's middle school varsity championship last Saturday at Lake Forest Middle School.

Kyle Cooley completed an undefeated season, taking first place at 123 pounds. He defeated wrestlers from McCallie and Cleveland before beating a wrestler from Lake Forest in overtime to win the championship and finished the season at 10-0.

Brian Gossett (108) claimed third place by beating a wrestler from Baylor, losing to McCallie and beating wrestlers from Ocoee Middle and Cleveland Middle.

The other McMinn Middle wrestlers were Jackson Boggess at 130 pounds and Caden Decker at 140. Neither placed, but both won one match and lost two.

"These four eighth-graders are the most talented and experienced McMinn has ever had at this grade level," Coach Dave Stoika said. "That means the high school team will be getting the most experienced, talented group of freshmen it has ever had. The future looks very bright for these four guys, not to mention the high school squad."

Edited by Sommers

Coverage from Tennessee second largest newspaper

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/14/memphis-area-high-school-players-week/942892001/

WRESTLING

Jack Lewis, Arlington: The senior had a strong tournament against top-notch competition at the Cleveland duals, winning all five of his matches (four by pin) while wrestling at both 195 and 220.

Life after being bullied, wrestling for The Hill...Johnson City

From bullying victim to MMA fighter; Jon Pearce is focused on his next fight

Posted: Dec 13, 2017 03:40 PM EST

A Johnson City fighter is overcoming...

JOHNSONCITY, Tenn. - Like many kids in today's world, Jonathan Pearce was bullied.   "I don't really like to talk about it a lot," Pearce says. "I feel like everyone gets bullied someway or another and people try to use it to their advantage."   Onthe defensive, he joined the wrestling team as a freshman at Science Hill High School.    "[Jon] had some bullying when he was younger and early in high school," Casey Oxendine, one of his mixed martial arts coaches, says. "That got him into wrestling and into combat sports, fitness and so forth. I think it stuck with him."

"When I first started wrestling I was probably the smallest kid on the team," Pearce says. "I got beat by the girls for three years."

Now, Pearce has gone from the bullying victim to bullying his opponents inside the cage.

"Fighting is my outlet," he says with a smirk. "That's how I deal with it."

Pearce goes by the nickname "JSP" and has six professional wins to his name. Five of those wins came by a finish and four were by a technical knockout. Of his six wins, two came in Bellator, which is the second biggest fight promoter in the world.

"If you tell him no, if you tell him he can't win the match, it fires him up," Oxendine says. "He really takes it to another level."

Pearce says his end goals are simple. He wants to be a UFC champion and an inspiration to other kids who are victims of bullying.

"Be careful who you bully." Pearce says. "You don't know what they're capable of."

Pearce's next fight is this upcoming Saturday at the Strikefest event being held at the Appalachian Fairgrounds in Gray, Tennessee. That event starts at 6 p.m.

------------------------

Clarksville boy with Down syndrome finds happiness in wrestling...

ClarksvilleNOW logo

ClarksvilleNOW / Local / Lifestyle / Clarksville boy with Down syndrome finds happiness in wrestling

carter-wrestlr-1-1.jpg

Carter Coop and Cayden Fowler /Photo courtesy if Elizabeth Coop

21 hours ago by ClarksvilleNow.com

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (CLARKSVILLENOW) – Eight-year-old wrestler Carter Coop is showing the world that he has no limitations.

Carter, who was born with Down syndrome, won his first wrestling match this past weekend as part of the Alliance Wrestling Academy in Clarksville. His mother, Elizabeth Coop, is glad to see her son having fun in a sport that he loves.

Coop said she signed Carter up for wrestling at the suggestion of their older son’s coach, Brandon Morris.

“Of course we were hesitant. We didn’t know how he would react if he got pinned and lost,” Coop said. “This year he has wrestled in two tournaments and just smiles through each and every match. He has lost every match so far until this past weekend. He loves being out on the mat just like the other kids.”

carter-wrestlr-1.jpg 

Courtesy: Elizabeth Coop

Coop said during this last match, the coach and Carter’s opponent, Cayden Fowler from Wilson County, arranged for Carter to be able to “win” his first match.

The pair wrestled for three whole minutes before Carter pinned Cayden, sealing his first victory.

“This child is a national champion and what he did was such a huge honor for our son,” Coop said. “No one wants to lose, but that boy didn’t care and was so excited to let Carter win one.”

Congratulations, Carter!

You can watch Carter’s victory match below:

Edited by Sommers

Undefeated Soddy Daisy Wrestlers Roll Past Improved Ooltewah

Top-Ranked Cleveland Stays Unbeaten With Big Win At East Hamilton

Thursday, December 14, 2017 - by John Hunt
Soddy Daisy’s Jacob Pratt works for a pin over Ooltewah’s Gavin Howington at 126.
Soddy Daisy’s Jacob Pratt works for a pin over Ooltewah’s Gavin Howington at 126. 
- photo by M. A. Locke

Wrestling is one of those sports where peaking is a process.  All coaches hope their guys reach their full potential in February when the post-season tournaments take place.

So it’s hard to really put a finger on who’s who and what’s what in mid December, but the Soddy Daisy Trojans are headed in the right direction and the Ooltewah Owls are making wonderful progress as well.

These two teams squared off at Ooltewah’s Theresa Harvey Gymnasium Thursday night and the visiting Trojans remained unbeaten after seven dual meets with the 62-10 victory.

----------------

https://www.summersfirm.com/

Summers, Rufolo & RodgersImages may be sDecent referee, that Rufolo... maybe the tallest?? ;)

Partner misspells Sommers

-------------------------

Andwhile the match was pretty lopsided from beginning to end, you would have never known it by talking to Ooltewah’s second-year coach J.D. Dunbar.

“Soddy Daisy is always a physical, grinding team that’s well-coached and does the little stuff well,” Dunbar said following Thursday’s match.

“They shut us out last year and I was in my car heading home by 7:30, but I thought we did a great job of battling tonight.  We gave up several technical falls, but that’s better than getting pinned.  At least this year we’re going the full six minutes and that’s a huge step forward.

“Our practices have been going well.  What I really wanted to see tonight was us be able to implement some of the things we’ve been working on in practice.  We’re making progress.  We’re going to the Bradley Invitational this weekend.  Last year, we were finished by 10 o’clock on Saturday morning.  Our goal is still be alive and competing later than that,” Dunbar smiled.

The Trojans were really never tested against the Owls as Soddy Daisy won the first five matches and had a 25-0 lead before Mykkel Banks posted a 10-2 major decision at 145 pounds.  Marek Banks got a forfeit for the Owls in the next match before Soddy Daisy finished the evening with seven straight wins.

Cole Prestwood and Jacob Pratt both had first-period pins while Ty Boeck had a second-period pin at 220.

Trey Vincent, Hayden Maynor and Bailey Faires all had technical falls for the Trojans while Briston Hatfield and Addison Roberts both won with major decisions.

Kesean Eubanks had an 11-5 regular decision at 138 while Dayton Griffith, Jacob Allen and Brent Settles all received forfeits.

Soddy Daisy coach Jim Higgins knows the season is still young and his team is still trying to put all the pieces in the right place, but he liked the effort he saw on the road Thursday night.

“It’s still mid-December and we wrestled like it, but the effort was there and that’s what makes me the most happy.  We just stressed to our guys that we wanted to go hard from whistle to whistle and to get as many bonus points as possible,” Higgins expressed afterward.

“We just wanted to see some of the things we’ve been working on show up in a match and we did that in places.  We’re looking forward to a big challenge this weekend in the McCallie tournament.  It’s still December, but I’m confident we’ll get there before the end,” he concluded.

TOP-RANKED CLEVELAND remained unbeaten with a commanding 63-6 victory at East Hamilton Thursday night as the Blue Raiders had six pins along the way.

Jayce Mullin, Logan Whiteside, Austin Sweeney, Zach Brezna, Jack Hicks and Logan Strickland all had pins while Burns Meagher had a technical fall and Trae McDaniel a major decision.

James Howard had the only win for the Hurricanes with a second-period pin at 285.

SODDY DAISY 62, OOLTEWAH 10

(Match Began at 113 Pounds)

106 – Dayton Griffith (SD) won by forfeit;

113 – Jacob Allen (SD) won by forfeit;

120 – Cole Prestwood (SD) pinned Bryson Cain, :50;

126 – Jacob Pratt (SD) pinned Gavin Howington, 1:30;

132 – Briston Hatfield (SD) major dec. Alexander Wright, 8-0;

138 – Kesean Eubanks (SD) dec. Justice McClure, 11-5;

145 – Mykkel Banks (O) major dec. Landon Lewis, 10-2;

152 – Marek Banks (O) won by forfeit;

160 – Trey Vincent (SD) won by technical fall over Jordan Davis, 2:45;

170 – Hayden Maynor (SD) won by technical fall over Francisco Gallardo, 4:55;

182 – Bailey Faires (SD) won by technical fall over Justic Cruz, 6:00;

195 – Brent Settles (SD) won by forfeit;

220 – Ty Boeck (SD) pinned Blake Wright, 2:51;

285 – Addison Roberts (SD) major dec. Kevin Chang, 17-4.

CLEVELAND 63, EAST HAMILTON 6

(Match Began At 126 Pounds)

106 – Trae McDaniel (Cl) major dec. Ethan Saxon, 14-4;

113 – Trevor Wilson (Cl) won by forfeit;

120 – Burns Meagher (Cl) won by technical fall over Christopher Roberson, 5:58;

126 – Garrett Stevenson (Cl) dec. Seth Carpenter, 3-0;

132 – Jayce Mullin (Cl) pinned Samuel Malone, 1:04;

138 – Logan Whiteside (Cl) pinned Joshua Chisenall, :50;

145 – Cody Mathews (Cl) dec. Cade Meeks, 7-6;

152 – Double forfeit;

160 – Austin Sweeney (Cl) pinned Dentre Johnson, :10;

170 – Zach Brezna (Cl) pinned Aden Sternberg, :32;

182 – Jack Hicks (Cl) pinned Jason Brumlow, :03;

195 – Logan Strickland (Cl) pinned Aiden Holt, :52;

220 – Wilson Benefield (Cl) won by forfeit;

285 – James Howard (EH) pinned Christian Higgins, 2:27.

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

Dobyns-Bennett High School over Tennessee High...

http://tricitiessports.com/index0.htm?sname=target_form.asp&pform={{Login}}

-----------------------------------

At least 7 representing the SE, 2 from Tennessee and 3 from Georgia...

http://www.neoshodailynews.com/sports/20171214/prep-wrestling-neosho-sweeps-ozark-joplin-headed-next-to-kc-stampede

13-0 Neosho joins KC Srampede field that includes Archer (Georgia), Arkansas City (Kansas), Baylor School (Tennessee), Bettendorf-Morningstar-River (Iowa), Blue Springs, Buford (Georgia), Canyon Randall (Texas), CBC, Christian Brothers (Tennessee), Collins Hill (Georgia), Collinsville (Oklahoma), Coweta (Oklahoma), Creston Orient-Macksburg (Iowa), Derby (Kansas), Edmond North (Oklahoma), Farmington, Garden City (Kansas), Goddard (Kansas), Granite City (Illinois), Holt, Jesuit (Louisiana), Kearney, Nixa, Olathe North (Kansas), Skutt Catholic (Nebraska), Park Hill, Perry (Oklahoma), Platte County, Ponca City (Oklahoma), Sand Springs (Oklahoma), Seckman, Smithville, Southmoore (Oklahoma), Staley, Stillwater (Oklahoma), Thompson (Alabama), Tuttle (Oklahoma), and Whitfield.

Nationally-ranked teams by InterMat include No. 24 CBC and No. 32 Tuttle.

Nationally-ranked wrestlers in the field include Sand Springs’ Carter Young (106); CBC’s Cevion Severado (113); CBC’s Malik Johnson, Park Hill’s Weston DiBlasi, and Tuttle’s Rhett Golowenski (126); CBC’s Joshua Saunders (132); Tuttle’s Dustin Plott (160); CBC’s Emille Shannon and Skutt Catholic’s Billy Higgins (170); Park Hill’s Devin Winston (182); Park Hill’s Ashton Sharp (195); Staley’s Zach Elam (220); and Neosho’s very own Hitchcock and Whitfield’s Max Darrah (285).

Wrestling begins at 2 p.m. Friday and 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Hale Arena, Kansas City, Missouri.

In past editions, Neosho placed fifth last season with 347.5 points, behind only Tuttle (564.5), Park Hill (446.5), Sand Springs (409) and Goddard (374.5).

Neosho finished sixth two seasons ago, behind Tuttle, Archer, Allen (Texas), Platte County, and Park Hill. Kyler Rea won a gold division title at 152; Rea now wrestles at West Virginia.

Neosho finished second in 2014, nearly 60 points behind champion Archer.

Neosho took 10th in 2013, fifth in 2012, eighth in 2011, second in 2010, fifth in 2009, and 13th in 2008.

Moc Wrestlers Meet 2nd Ranked Ohio State Sunday

Thursday, December 14, 2017
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team returns to the mat this weekend.  The Mocs travel to Alpharetta, Ga., on Sunday, Dec. 17, to take on No. 2 Ohio State.  UTC is back home on Monday, Dec. 18, hosting Ohio in Maclellan Gym.

The match against Ohio State is at The Cooler in Alpharetta, Ga. (10800 Davis Dr.).  Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.S.T.).  The home match on Monday against the Bobcats is 7:00 p.m.

Chattanooga has a 2-2 record in dual action, including a 2-0 mark in Southern Conference bouts. UTC's wins are against VMI and Davidson, while the two losses are to No. 8 Virginia Tech and No. 6 N.C. State.

Links for live scoring through Trackwrestling are available on the wrestling schedule page on GoMocs.com.  There is PPV video for the Ohio State match, while the Ohio dual is available for free on the SoCon Digital Network.  Links for video and tickets are also found on the wrestling schedule page on GoMocs.com. 

CHATTANOOGA PROBABLE LINEUP
125: Alonzo Allen (Jr. – 6-3)
133: Jake Huffine (Jr. – 0-1)
      Wade Cummings (So. – 2-6)
141: Michael Pongracz (Sr. – 7-5)
149: Chris Debien (Jr. – 5-5)
157: Dylan Forzani (Jr. – 3-4)
165: Chad Pyke (Sr. – 9-4)
174: Justin Lampe (Sr. – 9-4)
184: No. 15 Carr (Sr. – 9-2)
197: No. 15 Scottie Boykin (Sr. – 9-2)
285: Ben Stacey (So. – 1-2)

UTC is coming off a 7-9 record last season.  The Mocs return five starters to a team that finished 5-2 in SoCon regular season duals and fourth in the league tournament. 

Senior Scottie Boykin is back in the lineup at 197 after redshirting last season.  He won the league as a junior in 2016, when he was ranked as high as No. 9 in the country.  He is off to an 9-2 start after winning the Hokie Open and Black Knight Invite.

Also coming off a redshirt year is senior Michael Pongracz.  He is a two-time NCAA qualifier who was 22-6 at 141 in 2015-16.  He is 7-5 overall and finished third at the Hokie Open. 

Head Coach Heath Eslinger is in his ninth year at UTC.  A two-time Southern Conference Coach of the Year, he owns a 95-56 (.629) career dual record, including a 49-4 (.925) tally in league matches.  He has guided the Mocs to six SoCon regular season and six SoCon tournament titles.

Seniors Bryce Carr and Scottie Boykin are both ranked No. 15 at 184 and 197, respectively, in this week's Intermat Top-20.  Both have 9-2 overall records. 
---------------------
TN Navy Connection...

Joel Sharratt has worked hard to restore Navy wrestling to national prominence since taking over as head coach in 2014.

Navy achieved another notable milestone this past week when it broke into the Top 25 for the first time in nearly a decade. The Midshipmen, who are 3-0 in dual meets, debuted at No. 24 in the USA Today/National Wrestling Coaches Association poll.

Navy’s last appearance in the Top 25 came when it was ranked in the 2008-2009 preseason poll.

Navy has not captured an EIWA Championship since the 1989-1990 season, finishing as runner-up five times since then. This season, the Midshipmen are considered a legitimate threat to challenge perennial powers Cornell and Lehigh at that event.

Senior captain Corey Wilding credits the coaching staff with ratcheting up the intensity within the practice room. Sharratt, who was an NCAA champion and three-time All-American at Iowa, is assisted by Nate Engel (Missouri Valley College), Cody Cleveland (Tennessee-Chattanooga) and Lloyd Rogers (Tennessee-Chattanooga).

“Coach Sharratt is a great leader and does a great job of getting the best out of every wrestler in the practice room,” Wilding said. “Coach Cleveland, Coach Engel and Coach Rogers are very good at refining everyone’s technique. All their collective efforts combined have been able to create a pretty impressive product.”

Edited by Sommers

web-logo.png

McCallie wins its 35-team wrestling tournament

December 17th, 2017by Idris Garciain Sports - PrepsRead Time: 2 mins.

McCallie School's wrestlers felt right at home on their mats this weekend, as the Blue Tornado won the annual McCallie Invitational tournament Friday and Saturday. The hosts collected 209.5 points for a 16-point win.

Woodland High from Cartersville, Ga., challenged McCallie with 193.5 points and climbed within six points of the lead at one point during the finals.

"We made a lot of strides this weekend," McCallie coach Mike Newman said. "This was exam week, so there's a lot going on and you never know what you're going to get. Our guys did a great job of managing everything and making improvements since the Cleveland Duals."

The Blue Tornado made their mark with three finalists, two champions and seven medalists in all. Alex Whitworth won the 126-pound championship with a dominant 16-0 technical fall, and River Henry won the 285 final 1-0 over Cass's Seven Richards in what was selected the best match of the tournament.

Runner-up Jack Braman (106 pounds) was McCallie's other finalist, and Emory Taylor (113), Mason Hughes (138), Thomas Sell (170) and Walker Robinson (195) also medaled.

"This is kind of a culminating deal with exams and everything right before the break," Newman said. "We had 35 good teams from around the Southeast. We always hope everyone can come get some great matchups and leave healthy with a great experience."

In the large field, other area teams had some highlights of their own Saturday, led by Sonoraville's sixth-place team finish with 153 points. The Phoenix had four medalists and two champions, Tyler Hunt (132) and Trevor Burdick (138).

Soddy-Daisy followed in seventh with 128 points and three medalists. Football star Ty Boeck stayed undefeated in his wrestling season by winning the 220-pound championship.

Dalton's four medalists led the Catamounts to 110 points and a 10th-place finish. Notre Dame tied with Southeast Whitfield for 24th with 58 points but had two finalists.

Union Grove's Justin Ruffin won his third award as most outstanding wrestler after winning his fourth McCallie Invitational title with a pin in the 152-pound final.

Georgia schools mostly filled the top 10. North Hall (166 points), West Laurens (155.5) and Union Grove (155.0) battled for third through fifth place, and Cass (125.5) took eighth. Oak Mountain (120) from Birmingham, Ala., finished ninth.

Other area schools competing were Ridgeland (18th, 72 points), Chattooga (T-19th, 71), Heritage (T-19th, 71), Ringgold (21st, 67), Northwest Whitfield (23rd, 59), Trion (30th, 45) and Red Bank (32nd, 28).

Contact Idris Garcia at sports@timesfreepress.com.

--------------------

THS girls, boys deliver strong outings

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 11:08 am

TULLAHOMA NEWS

Staff Report

The Tullahoma High School girls wrestling program had a strong performance, taking first place overall when it hosted the Garner-Dyer Invitational on Dec. 9.

The Lady Wildcats combined to score 73 points as team during the individual tournament. Katy Champion led the day for her team, taking first place in the 132-pound weight class.

Katy won her first-place bout over Eagleville’s Madison Kohler. During that matchup, Katy pinned Kohler to stand atop of the podium.

Tullahoma also had three wrestlers finish as runners-up during their tournament runs. Haley Roberts took second place in the 140-pound division, while Kaleigh Royal finished second in the 119-pound class and Jane Allen placed second in the 150-  to 160-pound division.

Promyse Bryson and Divine Deslites also took third place in their respective weight classes. Bryson finished third in the 132-pound division while Deslites nabbed third in the 119-pound division.

THS-Wrestling-225x300.jpg

Luke Champion and Katy Champion stand on top of the podium on Dec. 9 at the Garner-Dyer Duals. Both finished first in their respective individual tournaments.
-Photo Provided

Destiny Shelton and Jessica Vasquez each took fourth place in their respective weight classes. Shelton took fourth in the 103- to 112-pound weight class, while Vasquez took fourth in the 170-pound division.

The Tullahoma boys wrestling team also had a strong performance at the Garner-Dyer Tournament on Dec. 9, with two first-place performers, one of whom also received the best match award. Luke Price and Luke Champion finished first in their respective tournaments.

After making it to the first-place bout, Price battled West Creek’s Andrew Parker for the 132-pound title. Price pulled off an 11-8 decision victory, earning the match of the tournament award.

Luke won his first-place bout in a different style, quickly defeating Cane Ridge’s Nathan Lee in the 285-pound division. Luke pinned Lee in 15 seconds to secure the title.

Zack Bonee and Brenden Adkins also placed for the Wildcats on the day. Bonee took second place in the 152-pound weight while Adkins finished third in the 170-pound division.

After securing his spot into the first-place matchup, Bonee couldn’t quite pull out a win. Montgomery Bell Academy’s Bryce Wittman pinned Bonne in the first round.

Adkins had to fight his way onto the podium after losing his second bout of the tournament, heading into the consolation bracket. There, Adkins won his next matchup, advancing to a third-place bout. Adkins went on to pin Oakland’s Ryder Gehardt in 39 seconds of the first round.

The Wildcats followed that effort with a close matchup at Wilson Central on Thursday night. Tullahoma led 21-18, but Wilson Central went on to pick up the final three wins on the night, capturing a 36-21 victory.

Grant Fetters pinned Jackson Richards to give Wilson Central a 6-0 lead. However, Price put Tullahoma on the score board with a 12-9 decision (three points) win over Alan Fort, cutting the score to 6-3.

However, Wilson Central added back-to-back wins, taking an 18-3 advantage. Prentice Belcher pinned Sam Dean in the second round, while Levi Stone pinned Ben Leshinsky in the first round.

Tullahoma went on to win three-straight bouts, taking a 21-18 advantage. Bonee pinned Jamari Quinn in the first round, while Trinton Partin won his matchup by forfeit (six points). Christian Jordan went on to pin Joshua Rodriguez in the second round, giving the Wildcats the edge.

Wilson Central closed out the match with three-straight wins, all by pinfall, garnering the win. Sinjin Noga pinned Galen Raines in 23 seconds. Samuel Wolpone followed by pinning Jimmy Pearson in the second round and Michael Karmer defeated Luke Champion in the first round to conclude the match.

Tullahoma is next scheduled to head to Stewarts Creek on Tuesday with a match at 6 p.m. The Wildcats will then travel to McMinnville for a pair of bouts against Warren County and Cookeville with matches scheduled for 6 p.m.

Thank you Mr Hunt... 

Here's an example of why we have different tournaments (old Chattanooga City Invite) spreading the hardware around, congrats to Mr Morris' Mustangs and Blosser's newest 1-AA team to finish high in yet another tournament...

Walker Valley Wins Charger Invitational Wrestling

Whitwell Finishes Second With Host CCS Third

Saturday, December 16, 2017 - by John Hunt

The Walker Valley Mustangs were looking for a way to finish the first half of their wrestling season on a positive note and they were able to do that after winning the Charger Invitational at Chattanooga Christian Saturday afternoon.

The Mustangs had prevailed at the Ooltewah Invitational two weeks ago and they made it two in a row after claiming three individual titles and scoring 201 points.

Whitwell was second with 170 while host CCS was third with 154.  Harpeth and Grace Christian of Knoxville were fourth and fifth with 150 and 129.5 points, respectively.

Walker Valley coach Alan Morris was disappointed when his team didn’t get to attend the Tullahoma Duals, so winning this weekend sort of made up for it.

“We did about what we thought we’d do, but we just wanted to finish the first half of our season on a positive note and we were able to do that,” he said during a phone interview early Saturday evening.

“Now we can take a little time off to heal and celebrate Christmas before getting ready for our next dual meet.  We’re young and still have a lot of holes to fill, but we’re getting better. There are always areas where we can improve, but I’m definitely happy with the way we performed and the progress we’ve made,” he added.

Grace Christian had the most individual champs with four while Walker Valley had three and Chattanooga Christian two.  Boyd-Buchanan, McMinn County, Harpeth, Fulton and Whitwell all had one apiece.

The four winners for the Rams included Ben Beaver at 113, Tanner Thornton at 132, Garrett Lay at 145 and Nic Bass at 170 while Walker Valley’s trio included Chandler Davis at 120, Joey Vecchione at 152 and heavyweight Brenden Hooker.

The two winners for the Chargers included Ethan Madaris at 106 and Adam Truelove at 182.

Other champions included McMinn’s Gage Boggess at 126, Harpeth’s Thomas Hatcher at 138, Fulton’s Elijah Davis at 160, Boyd-Buchanan’s Will Watkins at 195 and Whitwell’s William Carter at 220.

Harpeth’s Hatcher was voted the Outstanding Wrestler after beating East Ridge’s Kashawn Cosey by an 8-1 decision.

Truelove and Mt. Zion’s Cade Barrow shared the Best Match award after Truelove won a hard-fought overtime decision.

FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Walker Valley 201; 2. Whitwell 170; 3. Chattanooga Christian 154; 4. Harpeth 150; 5. Grace Christian 129.5; 6. McMinn Co. 92.5; 7. CAK 75; 8. East Ridge 71; 9. Mt. Zion 64; 10. Fulton 59; 11. Signal Mountain 49; 12. Sale Creek 46; 13. Shelbyville 45.5; 14. Martin Luther King 45; 15. Brainerd 43; 16. Boyd-Buchanan 40; 17. Knoxville Catholic 19; 18. Tyner 17.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Ethan Madaris (Chattanooga Christian) pinned Jackson Whitlow (Harpeth), 5:09;

113 – Ben Beaver (Grace Christian) dec. Chris Rice (Brainerd), 8-4;

120 – Chandler Davis (Walker Valley) dec. Dylan Becker (Harpeth), 7-1;

126 – Gage Boggess (McMinn Co) won by technical fall over Jaren Thames (Whitwell), 3:41;

132 – Tanner Thornton (Grace Christian) pinned Dylan Ricker (McMinn Co), 5:43;

138 – Thomas Hatcher (Harpeth) dec. Kashawn Cosey (East Ridge), 8-1;

145 – Garrett Lay (Grace Christian) pinned Zeth Haynie (Walker Valley), 1:22;

152 – Joey Vecchione (Walker Valley) pinned Jacob Roberts (Whitwell), 2:37;

160 – Elijah Davis (Fulton) pinned George Hutchinson (Chattanooga Christian), 3:04;

170 – Nic Bass (Grace Christian) pinned Allen Ashworth (Whitwell), 4:41;

182 – Adam Truelove (Chattanooga Christian) decd. Cade Barrow (Mt. Zion) in overtime;

195 – Will Watkins (Boyd-Buchanan) major dec. Case Jiles (Mt. Zion), 9-1;

220 – William Carter (Whitwell) pinned Jack Lentz (Chattanooga Christian), 2:45;

285 – Brenden Hooker (Walker Valley) pinned Matthew Chinicue (CAK), 2:49.

CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Karson Huff (Walker Valley) pinned Parker Sapp (CAK), 4:53;

113 – Brice Barton (Whitwell) pinned Hunter Swanson (Tyner), 4:27;

120 – Kale Albritton (Signal Mountain) pinned Myron Bice (Sale Creek), :25;

126 – Junior Lucio (Harpeth) won by injury default over James Jur (Walker Valley);

132 – Rhett Birdsong (Shelbyville) won by technical fall over Amado Gomez (Whitwell), 3:53;

138 – Brendan Jarvis (CAK) pinned Nyzaya Vincent (McMinn Co), 2:29;

145 – Kaden White (Knox Catholic) won by forfeit over Matthew Pack (Harpeth);

152 – Gavin Cagle (CAK) dec. Lachlan Brandt (Chattanooga Christian), 6-2;

160 – Daniel Hodges (East Ridge) dec. Heath Tanksley (Walker Valley), 5-0;

170 – Tristan Mason (Walker Valley) dec. Lloyd Pinheiro (East Ridge), 13-6;

182 – Terrance Brown (Fulton) dec. Alexis Serna (MLK), 10-7;

195 – Dieudone Hareriman (Chattanooga Christian) dec. Chase Poole (Sale Creek), 9-6;

220 – Stephen Hurley (Walker Valley) dec. Kaleb Penny (Sale Creek), 3-0;

285 – Devin Spence (Harpeth) won by forfeit over Jamichael Wilson (Brainerd).

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

Toppers go 4-1 at Tony Farrace Duals

By Kane O'NeillPublished: December 17, 2017, 2:42 pm
 JOHNSONCITY, TN-The Science Hill High School Wrestling team took part in the Tony Farrace Alumni Duals yesterday in the Palace on the campus of Science Hill High School. The eight team field included the following teams from Tennessee, Alabama, and West Virginia. The tournament was created a few years ago to celebrate long time Science Hill High School wrestling coach Tony Farrace and other Science Hill wrestling alumni.

1. Science Hill

2. Parkersburg South (WV)

3. Grissom (AL)

4. Brentwood Academy

5. Morristown West

6. Riverside (WV)

7. Maryville

8. Independence

The toppers posted a 4-1 record on the day with victories over the following.

Science Hill 50

Grissom (AL) 24

Science Hill 63

Independence 12

Science Hill 73

Maryville 6

Science Hill 59

Riverside (WV) 15

The Hilltoppers earned its way into the tournament finals against the 47th ranked team in the country Parkersburg South High School (WV). Parkersburg South showed why it is ranked in the country by defeating the Hilltoppers 52-16 earning them the team title while posting a 5-0 record for the weekend.

The Hilltoppers (15-2) will regroup and prepare for another tournament, the Smoky Mountain Duals in Pigeon Forge, TN on December 21-22. The Smoky Mountain Duals will host 28 teams from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Virginia, and Alabama including state powerhouse Jefferson High School from Georgia and the top ranked Cleveland High School from Tennessee.

Science Hill will round out 2017 with a trip to Nashville on December 30th to participate in the Battle for Independence Tournament which the Hilltoppers won last year on its way to a 3rd place state duals finish in the 2016-17 season.

Chase Diehl (160lbs) earned his 100th career victory this weekend and Tyler Seeley (120lbs) posted a 5-0 record during the Tony Farrace Alumni Duals.

Courtesy: Science Hill Wrestling

Edited by Sommers

WC Wins Beech...

HENDERSONVILLE — Wilson Central won the Beech Tournament last Saturday with Michael Kramer and Sinjin Noga picking up first-place hardware for the Wildcats.

Cullen Belcher was a runner-up while Grant Fetters, Hunter Borders, Levi Stone and Parker Bennet each finished third and Ross Keith fourth.

Despite the championship, Central slipped a spot in Jeff Price’s state poll Monday, swapping sixth and seventh places with Bradley Central by three points.

Meanwhile, back at Wilson Central, nine Wildcats won their classes in a junior-varsity tournament, including Dominic Hofmann, Michael Mercante, Caleb Blake, William Toy, Luke Pishotta, Chris Payne, Geraldo Valasquez, Jesse Richardson and Chance Carson.

Elliot Ash, Avery Warnock, Tyler Jones and Usvauldo Jaime each finished second while Anthony Dake, Colton Colyer, Trey Scoby and Reece Orsbon each took third.

Not related to the high school program, the Wildcat Wrestling Club won the middle school division of the Tennessee Top 100 Challenge in Pigeon Forge last Saturday

http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/Wrestling/2017/12/18/Wildcats-win-Beech-Tournament.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=1

Beech gets Hoover Alabama coverage...

http://hooversun.com/sports/the-reset-121817/.

After falling to the State school :)

(and actually PSU may have their hands full with OSU at this point), the Mocs do rebound improving to 3-3 over Ohio University...

Mobile

Mobile
  •  

Mocs Score a 22-19 Win Over Ohio

Boykin seals the victory with a major decision at 197.
Dec. 18, 2017 Wrestling

STORY LINKS

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team evened its record at 3-3 with a 22-19 win over visiting Ohio in Maclellan Gym tonight.  The Mocs scored bonus points in all five of their wins in a dual that saw the lead change four times.

Junior Alonzo Allen won for the second time in as many days with an 18-6 major decision over Trevor Giallombardo at 125.  He scored a quick takedown and back points to run out to an 8-2 lead after the first period.  From there he cruised to the win and improved to 8-3.

Junior Jake Huffine competed hard in his match against No. 15 Cameron Kelly 133.  He was down 2-1 after the first period and rode Kelly for most of the second.  He was in the match until giving up a pair of back points late in the third.

"Alonzo Allen looked good, stated head coach Heath Eslinger. "I thought the guy who wrestled best tonight was Jake Huffine.  He lost, but he probably wrestled better than anyone.  He did exactly what we talked about doing. He didn't care where he was ranked and he had a chance to win the match."

Junior Michael Pongracz posted a technical fall in the second at 141.  That gave UTC a 9-3, but Ohio fought back quickly to take an 11-9 lead after a tech fall and a decision at 149 and 157, respectively.

Senior Chad Pyke put the Mocs back in front with a tech fall of his own at 165.  He was up 10-0 after the first period and closed it out halfway through the second for his 10th win of the year. 

The Bobcats went back up 15-14 with a major decision at 174.  Senior and 15th-ranked Bryce Carr answered with a major decision at 184.  He was up 3-0 heading into the third period and used three takedowns and two stalling points for a 12-3 victory.

With the Mocs leading 18-15, senior Scottie Boykin, ranked No. 15 at 197, closed out the match with a major decision at 197. He scored a pair of takedowns late and rode out the last 18 seconds for an 11-3 win.  Both Carr and Boykin are 10-3 overall and all of their losses are to top-10 individuals.     

"Bryce did a great job," added Eslinger.  "He kept putting the pressure on.  Same thing with Scottie, he knew he had to get the major and he goes out and gets it done.  We knew tonight those were two matches we should win, but again it is not a math test, it is a wrestling match."

Up next for the Mocs is the Southern Scuffle, presented by Compound Sportswear, on Jan. 1-2 in McKenzie Arena.  Tickets are on sale now on TheSoutherrnScuffle.com.

New this year is a Hospitality Pass for fans that includes a reserved ticket and access to the Hospitality Room on the main floor.  The Hospitality Room includes two full meals each day and access to a full cash bar.

Chattanooga 22 – Ohio 19
Maclellan Gym – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Monday – Dec. 18, 2017

125: Alonzo Allen (UTC) – MD 18-6 - Trevor Giallombardo (Ohio) – UTC 4-0
133: No. 15 Cameron Kelly (Ohio) – Dec. 6-1 - Jake Huffine (UTC) – UTC 4-3
141: Michael Pongracz (UTC) – Tech Fall 18-1 (5:00) - Colton Chase (Ohio) – UTC 9-3
149: Kade Kowalski (Ohio) – Tech Fall 15-0 - Chris Debien (UTC) – UTC 9-8
157: Cullen Cummings (Ohio) – Dec. 6-4 - Dylan Forzani (UTC) – Ohio 11-9
165: Chad Pyke (UTC) – Tech Fall 16-0 (3:33) - Ben Schneider (Ohio) – UTC 14-11
174: Austin Reese (Ohio) – MD 18-5 – Justin Lampe (UTC) – Ohio 15-14
184: No. 15 Bryce Carr (UTC) – MD 12-3 - Hunter Yeargen (Ohio) – UTC 18-15
197: No. 15 Scottie Boykin (UTC) – MD 11-3 - Aaron Naples (Ohio) – UTC 22-15
285: Zack Parker (Ohio) – MD 15-3 - Ben Stacey (UTC) – UTC 22- 19

Atlanta Area Coverage

Toggle navigation
9aa77540-57d8-11e5-bcc6-1b0e52f3ae1f.png

SportsMedSo-986x30.jpg

Mountain View wrestlers fifth in tough Tennessee tourney

Mountain View wrestlers fifth in tough Tennessee tourney

Mountain View's Chase Standridge grabs the arm of Camden County's Denton Spencer during Saturday's state wrestling finals at the Macon Centreplex in Macon. (Photo: Karl L. Moore)

Karl L. Moore

Mountain View placed fifth out of 32 teams over the weekend at the Bradley Central (Tenn.) Invitational.

Commerce was first in the event, followed by Bradley Central, Alexander, Blackman (Tenn.) and Mountain View..

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sports/mountain-view-wrestlers-fifth-in-tough-tennessee-tourney/article_fd8c0394-9cf5-5381-960a-914b546f7c27.html

Power Union Co Ky will complete this Friday against our younger Father Ryan...

+

Union's Snyder remains undefeated, Union wins wrestling tournament

636491915876122325-wrestling-team.jpg
The Braves win the championship at the Harrison High School Tournament.

Aa
_
+Colby Girten | The AdvocateUpdated 6 hours ago

The Union County Braves wrestling team took first place this past weekend during the two-day Harrison High School tournament. 

There were nine teams competing during the tournament. Vincennes Lincoln went 8-0 before losing to Union County 60-12 in the finals, making the Braves the champions at a 9-0 record for the tournament. 
636491906727131678-IMG-1118.JPG
Coaches Rashawd Wilkins and Robert Ervin demonstrate wrestling techniques to Stephen Little during ...more
Colby Girten

Heavyweight Payton Snyder remains undefeated this season as he went 9-0 at Harrison with six pins. As a senior, Snyder now has an 18-0 record for the season.   

Other standouts included wrestlers Saul Ervin (senior) and Payne Carr (freshman).  Ervin won the “Most Outstanding Wrestler” award during the tournament. Ervin went 9-0 during the tournament with seven pins and one technical fall.  

ADVERTISEMENT - KEEP SCROLLING TO CONTINUE

ADVERTISEMENT - KEEP SCROLLING TO CONTINUE

636491907972019658-IMG-1024.JPG
Saul Ervin wrestles his opponent here. Ervin won the "Most Outstanding Wrestler" award during the ...more
Colby Girten

Carr also had a 9-0 record during the tournament with five pins. He pinned the No. 2 ranked wrestler at 126. 

636491907394035953-IMG-1008.JPG
Payne Carr maneuvers around his opponent to make a pin. Carr went 9-0 during the tournament with 5 ...more
Colby Girten

Head Coach Robert Ervin was very excited about the weekend championship for the Braves.

“Our team looked great this weekend,” said Ervin. “We were really solid in our lighter weights, but the biggest surprise was how dominant we were at 170, 195, 220 and 285. The combination of Micah Ervin, Matthias Ervin, Ross Hicks and Payton Snyder led to an overall record this weekend of 35-1.”

Union will be back in action this Friday as they compete against Father Ryan, Tennessee; Anna Jonesboro, Illinois, and Cahokia, which is one of the top-ranked teams in Illinois. Matches will start at noon at Union County High School.  

Harrison High School individual and team stats: 

Individual Stats

106 lbs- Matthew Moore- Sophomore , record of 9-0 with 3 pins.

113- lbs- Glen Mayes- Seventh grade, record 7-2 with 4 pins.

120 lbs- Gabe Adams- Sophomore, record of 9-0 with 5 pins and 3 technical falls

132 lbs-Payne Carr- Freshman, record of 9-0 with 5 pins; pinning the #2 ranked wrestler at 126.

138 lbs- Saul Ervin- Senior, record of 9-0 with 7 pins and 1 technical fall. Ervin won the "Most Outstanding Wrestler" award of the tournament.145 lbs- Trevor Pogue- Sophomore, record of 8-1 with 5 pins.

145 lbs- Allen Elam- Freshman, record of 1-0 with 1 pin.

152 lbs- Stephen Little- Eighth Grade, record of 7-2 with 5 pins.

160 lbs- Carlos Perry- Junior, record of 7-2 with 7 pins.

170 lbs- Micah Ervin- Sophomore, record of 9-0 with 6 pins.

182 lbs- Payton Ervin- Junior, record of 1-6 (injury default).

195 lbs- Matthias Ervin- Sophomore, record of 9-0 with 5 pins.

220 lbs- Ross Hicks- Senior, record of 8-1 with 4 pins and 1 technical fall.

HWT- Payton Snyder- Senior, record of 9-0 with 6 pins. Snyder continues his undefeated season with an 18-0 record.

Team scores

Union- 55, Evansville Reitz- 17

Union- 60, Evansville Memorial- 12

Union- 69, Evansville Harrison- 12

Union- 66, North-12

Union- 69, South Spencer IN- 6

Union- 45, South Ridge IN- 28

Union- 70, Fern Creek- 6

Union- 69, Boonville- 11 In the finals

Union - 60,  Vincennes Lincoln -12, in which both teams were 8-0 for the tournament thus far.

636491907858450930-IMG-1135.JPG
Carlos Perry matches up against his opponent during the wrestling tournament.
Colby Girten
636491908502579059-IMG-1103.JPG
The Union Co. wrestling coaches surround Trevor Pogue during the tournament.
Colby Girten
636491907665009690-IMG-0998.JPG
Gabe Adams takes his opponent's arm back as he tries to swing him around for a pin. Adams went 9-0 ...more
Colby Girten

Originally Published 10:38 a.m. CT Dec. 18, 

Columbia High, on the mat...

HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING: Red Raiders beat Columbia in region match

Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 11:39 am

Demarco Moore, Sports Writer 

The Coffee County Central High School wrestling team grappled against Region 5-AAA rivals Columbia and Oakland on Tuesday night in Maury County.

The Red Raiders downed Columbia 48-24, with Hunter Massey picking up a win over the Lions.

Oakland 72, Red Raiders 12

106: Chas Stones (OAKL) over Hunter Massey (CCHS) (Fall 0:50)

120: Tyler Vanterheylen (OAKL) over Mary Wolfrum (CCHS) (Fall 2:12)

126: Hayden Jackson (OAKL) over Mary Anne Walker (CCHS) (Fall 0:39)

145: Josh Fournier (CCHS) over Nathaniel Gray (OAKL) (Fall 2:45)

160: Dakota Chalker (CCHS) over Charlie Carson (OAKL) (Fall 4:18)

170: Ryder Gebhardt (OAKL) over Noah O ‘Shields (CCHS) (Fall 0:24)

182: Nolan Cook (OAKL) over Nicolas Martinez (CCHS) (Fall 0:22)

195: Caleb Perkins (OAKL) over Reynaldo Reyes (CCHS) (Fall 1:28)

220: Brenson Boone (OAKL) over Christopher Speegle (CCHS) (Fall 0:48)

285: Kameron Bingnam (OAKL) over Tyler Loren (CCHS) (Fall 0:28)

NEXT MATCH: at Oakland Day of Duals on Thursday, Dec. 21 (@ Oakland High School)

Reach Demarco Moore at dmoore@manchestertimes.com, and follow him on Twitter @iam__demo

Edited by Sommers

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/wrestling/os-sp-wrestling-week-four-tournaments-20171221-story.html

Smokey Mountain Duals coverage way down in Orlando...

Wilson Central 35, Clay 26

106: ross keith (Wilson Central) p. Josh McGinnis (Clay) 0:35; 113: grant fetters (Wilson Central) dec. Justin Byler (Clay) 9-2; 120: Stephen Chopek (Clay) dec. hunter borders (Wilson Central) 12-9; 126: Daniel Porter (Clay) dec. TH Oakley (Wilson Central) 6-1; 132: cole fort (Wilson Central) maj. dec. James Hoslenson (Clay) 14-3; 138: Peyton Hughes (Clay) p. cullen belcher (Wilson Central) 4:41; 145: levi Stone (Wilson Central) dec. Grant Stonish (Clay) 6-3; 152: Dylan Taylor (Clay) dec. Alex Pergande (Wilson Central) 3-2; 160: Conor Green (Clay) p. Jamari Quinn (Wilson Central) 0:36; 170: Carson Yost (Clay) p. usvauldo jamie (Wilson Central) 1:37; 182: parker bennett (Wilson Central) p. Isaiah Clifford (Clay) 0:50; 195: sinjin Noga (Wilson Central) dec. Kurt Jackson (Clay) 3-2; 220: Kolin Miller (Wilson Central) maj. dec. Joe Grelli (Clay) 11-0; 285: michael Kramer (Wilson Central) p. Ryan Rivers (Clay) 1:22; Clay's team score was adjusted by -1.000 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Baylor's Mason Reiniche & Ga's newest power Buford places high at KC (GA Stacked at 145)...

After Kansas City trip, Buford wrestlers host tough Takedown Sportswear Invitational

Buford junior Logan Ashton won this one and a state title last season for the Wolves. (Photo: David McGregor)

After finishing eighth out of 40 teams at last weekend’s Midwest Classic in Kansas City, Mo., the Buford wrestling team gets another challenge back at home this weekend.

The Wolves host the Takedown Sportswear Invitational today and Saturday at the Buford City Arena, allowing them to compete with some of the South’s best high school teams. The event features 47 teams from Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Florida.

Host Buford is joined by fellow Gwinnett teams Archer, Berkmar, North Gwinnett and Peachtree Ridge.

Buford had four wrestlers place in the top eight at the Midwest Classic, led by tournament champion Logan Ashton at 113 pounds. Blaine Bergey was runner-up at 145, while Nick Stonecheck (138) and Cooper Roberts (170) placed fifth....

...In case you were wondering, the SE had excellent presence at the Stampede starting again with our own Cornell recruit, Reiniche of Baylor, and the great state of Ga still making noise...

2017 KC Stampede Results

Kansas City, MO

Dec 14-15, 2017

Finals Results

106 Carter Young (Sand Springs) DEC Jason Henschel (Goddard), 7-0

113 Logan Ashton (Buford) DEC Trey Crawford (Park Hill), 8-6

120 Kai Orine (Seckman) DEC Sam Latona (Thompson), 5-0

126 Cameron Fusco (Seckman) DEC Mike Mcateer (Whitfield), 5-2

132 Jevon Parrish (Olathe North) DEC Gabe Hixenbaugh (Thompson), 3-2

138 Luke Surber (Tuttle) DEC Kyle Prewitt (Cbc), 8-3

145 Conner Ward (Mill Valley) DEC Blaine Bergey (Buford), 7-0

152 Jarrett Bendure (Mill Valley) DEC Kruz Simons (Edmond North), 8-6

160 Dustin Plott (Tuttle) DEC Mason Reiniche (Baylor), 7-4

170 Troy Fisher (Goddard) DEC Rocky Elam (Staley), 3-1 SV

182 Devin Winston (Park Hill) F Joseph Williams (Neosho), 3:10

195 Donovan Benetti (Nixa) DEC Zach Hazen (Blue Springs), 7-6

220 Zach Elam (Staley) F Perry Ganci (Jesuit), 0:26

285 Max Darrah (Whitfield) F Adrian Hitchcock (Neosho), 8:30

Semifinal Results

106 Carter Young (Sand Springs) DEC Zach Keal (Mill Valley), 13-7

106 Jason Henschel (Goddard) DEC Cayden Auch (Neosho), 5-3

113 Logan Ashton (Buford) DEC Khyler Brewer (Staley), 3-2

113 Trey Crawford (Park Hill) MD Rocky Stephens (Collinsville), 13-3

120 Kai Orine (Seckman) F Rhett Golowenski (Tuttle), 1:23

120 Sam Latona (Thompson) DEC Caleb Tanner (Collinsville), 6-5 SV

126 Mike Mcateer (Whitfield) DEC Ryder Ramsey (Tuttle), 7-4

126 Cameron Fusco (Seckman) DEC Weston Diblasi (Park Hill), 5-2

132 Gabe Hixenbaugh (Thompson) DEC Austin Kolvek (Park Hill), 7-0

132 Jevon Parrish (Olathe North) F Dylan Schickram (Ponca City), 0:20

138 Luke Surber (Tuttle) F Marcus Robinson (Arkansas City), 2:43

138 Kyle Prewitt (Cbc) DEC Spencer Schickram (Ponca City), 5-2

145 Conner Ward (Mill Valley) DEC Josh Steele (Park Hill), 7-3

145 Blaine Bergey (Buford) DEC Lucas Desilva (Collins Hill), 2-2 UTB

152 Jarrett Bendure (Mill Valley) DEC Cade Lindsey (Derby), 4-2 SV

152 Kruz Simons (Edmond North) DEC Trevor Dopps (Goddard), 5-4

160 Mason Reiniche (Baylor) DEC Terrell Garraway (Olathe North), 7-4

160 Dustin Plott (Tuttle) FOR Garrett Lange (Goddard)

170 Rocky Elam (Staley) DEC Carson Berryhill (Tuttle), 5-2

170 Troy Fisher (Goddard) F Talon Borror (Coweta), 2:39

182 Devin Winston (Park Hill) F Noah Elmore (Whitfield), 2:25

182 Joseph Williams (Neosho) MD Noah Hooks (Edmond North), 10-2

195 Zach Hazen (Blue Springs) F Charlie Cadell (Cbc), 4:39

195 Donovan Benetti (Nixa) DEC Chopper Mordecai (Kearney), 9-4

220 Zach Elam (Staley) MD Sage Smart (Platte County), 12-0

220 Perry Ganci (Jesuit) DEC Grayson Walthall (Christian Brothers), 8-3

285 Max Darrah (Whitfield) DEC Will Choloh (Archer), 1-0

285 Adrian Hitchcock (Neosho) DEC Pat Healy (Christian Brothers), 6-2

Quarterfinal Results

106 Carter Young (Sand Springs) TF Nick Cambria (Buford), 22-7 4:00

106 Zach Keal (Mill Valley) DEC Ryan Smith (Perry), 2-0

106 Cayden Auch (Neosho) DEC Korbin Shepard (Blue Springs), 8-4

106 Jason Henschel (Goddard) F Ashton Grounds (Tuttle), 1:10

113 Logan Ashton (Buford) MD Jack Wrocklage (Seckman), 10-0

113 Khyler Brewer (Staley) DEC Garrett Steidley (Tuttle), 6-4 SV

113 Trey Crawford (Park Hill) TF James Freitag (Kearney), 18-3 5:51

113 Rocky Stephens (Collinsville) DEC Caleb Lazure (Omaha Skutt), 3-0

120 Rhett Golowenski (Tuttle) MD Ethen Miller (Park Hill), 10-0

120 Kai Orine (Seckman) DEC Jonathon Ortegon (Randall), 10-8

120 Caleb Tanner (Collinsville) DEC Cody Phippen (Platte County), 2-0

120 Sam Latona (Thompson) DEC Clay Singh (Kearney), 8-4

126 Mike Mcateer (Whitfield) DEC Jacob Holt (Garden City), 10-5

126 Ryder Ramsey (Tuttle) F Brandon Borlinghaus (Staley), 0:54

126 Cameron Fusco (Seckman) DEC Bennett Moudy (Coweta), 6-1

126 Weston Diblasi (Park Hill) TF Alex Valencia (Perry), 16-0 2:59

132 Gabe Hixenbaugh (Thompson) DEC Hayden Hartline (Baylor), 7-2

132 Austin Kolvek (Park Hill) DEC Trenton Young (Neosho), 2-1

132 Dylan Schickram (Ponca City) MD Dyalan Avery (Perry), 18-5

132 Jevon Parrish (Olathe North) DEC Jeffrey Ditter (Whitfield), 3-2

138 Marcus Robinson (Arkansas City) MD Grayston Diblasi (Park Hill), 11-3

138 Luke Surber (Tuttle) F Xavear Cullors (Collinsville), 4:30

138 Kyle Prewitt (Cbc) DEC Mitchell Bohlken (Smithville), 6-3

138 Spencer Schickram (Ponca City) DEC Gavin Smith (Archer), 7-2

145 Conner Ward (Mill Valley) DEC Andrew Pace (Baylor B), 5-2

145 Josh Steele (Park Hill) F Ricky Turner (Coweta), 4:46

145 Blaine Bergey (Buford) DEC Hadyn Redus (Perry), 5-4

145 Lucas Desilva (Collins Hill) DEC Logan Smith (Archer), 3-1 SV

152 Cade Lindsey (Derby) DEC Curtis Near (Garden City), 3-1

152 Jarrett Bendure (Mill Valley) DEC Will Edgar (Cbc), 10-9

152 Kruz Simons (Edmond North) DEC Jeff Farris (Holt), 10-6

152 Trevor Dopps (Goddard) DEC Kaleb Tabor (Sand Springs), 4-2

160 Mason Reiniche (Baylor) DEC Bret Heil (Blue Springs), 10-7

160 Terrell Garraway (Olathe North) F Nathan Koenig (Jesuit), 2:34

160 Garrett Lange (Goddard) DEC Bryan Ford (Coweta), 10-6

160 Dustin Plott (Tuttle) F Triston Wills (Derby), 3:25

170 Rocky Elam (Staley) MD Paul Treuting (Jesuit), 9-1

170 Carson Berryhill (Tuttle) DEC Conner Duffy (Baylor), 11-7

170 Troy Fisher (Goddard) DEC Blake Hopson (Park Hill), 5-2

170 Talon Borror (Coweta) DEC Zac Russell (Whitfield), 9-3

182 Devin Winston (Park Hill) DEC Dakota Schmidt (Platte County), 4-0

182 Noah Elmore (Whitfield) DEC Lane Newlin (Ponca City), 5-3

182 Joseph Williams (Neosho) DEC Austin Andres (Goddard), 3-1 SV

182 Noah Hooks (Edmond North) DEC Riley Westlake (Baylor), 5-4

195 Charlie Cadell (Cbc) DEC Ethan Kremer (Mill Valley), 8-5

195 Zach Hazen (Blue Springs) DEC Hunter Pyle (Staley), 6-3

195 Donovan Benetti (Nixa) DEC Brian Boyd (Smithville), 5-0

195 Chopper Mordecai (Kearney) MD Jake Mccoy (Edmond North), 13-4

220 Zach Elam (Staley) TF Tomari Fox (Collins Hill), 15-0 5:52

220 Sage Smart (Platte County) DEC Blake Minnick (Edmond North), 2-1

220 Grayson Walthall (Christian Brothers) DEC William Boldt (Whitfield), 4-0

220 Perry Ganci (Jesuit) DEC Ozzie Garcia (Nixa), 7-2

285 Max Darrah (Whitfield) MD Griffin Liddle (Bettendorf), 9-1

285 Will Choloh (Archer) DEC Faze Thomas (Cbc), 7-3

285 Pat Healy (Christian Brothers) F Dan Mangold (Staley), 0:18

285 Adrian Hitchcock (Neosho) F Trey Mason (Tuttle), 5:48

FloSports

Lady wrestlers...

King College mentioned way up North...

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/4782092218295075223/all-girl-wrestling-bound-brook-hunterdon-central/

Edited by Sommers

LIFE |NOV 30, 2015 |CAROLYN GUERRERO

Girl wrestling- UFC style goes back a ways to the Wild Wild West... Goldie Griffith

Put ’em up, cowgirl! Ms. Griffith was a part of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, but she wasn’t there to look pretty! Goldie Griffith was known for her mean abilities as a boxer and wrestler, she also rode broncos and performed various other acts.

wild west

Buffalo Bill Museum & Grave

Griffith became a star in her own right, even getting married at Madison Square Garden! She famously rode her horse up the steps of Ulysses S. Grant’s tomb in New York City and was known as “the gol darndest gal who ever sat leather.” On a bet, she rode her horse over 3,000 miles from San Francisco to New York.

We all want to be as tough as Goldie! Keep reading to see more fascinating figures from the Old West.

And today...

Benicia grad Molinari makes under-23 national team forwrestling
“That's the reason I wrestle, that's the reason I practice, that's the reason I eat healthy. Making the Olympics would help put Benicia on a big map, on a large scale. I want to make all my coaches at Benicia and all my King University coaches and the whole state of Tennessee happy.” After a stellar career ...

Coverage for King coast to coast
Edited by Sommers

When you want the refiner's fire u can go north a few hours...

No doubt Ryan has their younger boys prepping for future Big Time action... 

Ky Power Union County beat Father Ryan, TN 53-9 and Anna Jonesboro, IL 77-5. In

Payton Snyder 2-0 and continues his undefeated season with a 20-0 record.  

The UC will be back In action next week as they compete in the Mater Dei Classic at Mater Dei High School in Evansville, IN

636497242141160035-IMG-0009.JPG
Carlos Perry works to flip his opponent over for a pin.
Colby Girten
636497242140692032-IMG-0002.JPG
Stephen Little battles to beat his Father Ryan opponent.
Colby Girten
636497242647227279-IMG-9970.JPG
Saul Ervin starts his match against a Father Ryan wrestler.
Colby Girten
636497242280624929-IMG-9950.JPG
Payne Carr pulls down this Father Ryan wrestler to make a pin.
Colby Girten
636497242258004784-IMG-9942.JPG
Gabe Adams swings his opponent over to make a pin. Adams went 2-0 during the duals.
Colby Girten

Mater Dei wrestlers ready for redemption in Holiday Classic

636494771595066822-Weidner.jpg
Nolan Weidner
Taylor Hall
Taylor O'Neil Hall | Courier & PressUpdated 14 hours ago

EVANSVILLE -- It’s been nearly a year since members of the Mater Dei High School wrestling team played the roles of onlookers as the first place trophy from the their own Holiday Classic went to another team.

First and second place were separated by less than 10 points last December.

Union County (Ky.) High School earned the top honor with 216 points and Mater Dei had to settle for second with 206.5 points. 

Mater Dei's wrestlers haven't forgotten watching the Braves celebrate on their home floor. 

“It was disappointing,” Mater Dei senior Nolan Weidner said. “The coaches were a little frustrated with us, knowing that we could have easily gotten first and it was right there and we were so close.”With this year’s Mater Dei Holiday Classic approaching, the Wildcats will have their chance to take home the trophy again instead of standing idly by as a different team cheers and chants as the last match finishes.

Thursday marks the beginning of the 34th classic, with the conclusion of the two-day event Friday. 

Wrestlers from 17 schools will compete at the event, coming from Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee (Lawrence Co. High)

Union High School senior Jermic Ayree Credits: Township of Union Schools

Close this

ayree.jpg
Union High School senior Jermic AyreeCredits: Township of Union Schools

By TAPINTO UNION STAFF

December 24, 2017 at 8:12 AM

UNION, NJ – Union High School senior Jermic Ayree has been accepted into Cornell University.

Ayree, who applied Early Decision to the program, was accepted into the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Currently, he is enrolled in the Allied Health Shared Time Program at Union County Vocational School. The Shared Time Program offers students the opportunity to attend Union County Vo-Tech for a portion of the academic day and receive technical training in one of many fields. 

Ayree plans on majoring in Biological Science with a concentration in Neurobiology and Behavior.  He is both a member of the UHS Wrestling and Tennis Teams. 

Jermic stated “I am extremely thrilled to be given this opportunity to study at Cornell University and I am more than happy to see my hard work and perseverance paid off,” said Ayree.

Ayree’s  school counselor Valery Desamours added,  “As his counselor, I am extremely proud of Jermic and his accomplishments.  I wish him much success at Cornell University.”

Harold

Mocs Mourn the Loss of Coach Wilkes

Dec. 24, 2017 Mocs Club

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga mourns the loss of former student-athlete, football coach and athletic director Harold Wilkes.  Coach Wilkes passed away on Saturday, Dec. 23, at the age of 85.  Arrangements will be announced by www.CovenantFuneral.com.

His footprints on the Mocs athletic program are deep and clear. It started as a student-athlete playing for college football Hall of Famer Scrappy Moore helping lead the 1958 team to its win over Tennessee. He later joined Moore's staff working with him until his retirement following the 1967 season leading UC to its natural next step.

Wilkes guided the Mocs football team from 1968 to 1972, bridging the gap between legendary Moore and Joe Morrison. He posted a 20-33 record in those five seasons, and his 1968 squad was one of the best in school history.  It went 9-1 with its only loss coming at the hands of Archie Manning's Ole Miss squad, 38-16.

He took over as athletic director in 1970 and held that position for 20 years.  During that time, he oversaw the largest growth in athletics at UTC in school history.  After winning an NCAA Division II National Championship in basketball and finishing runner-up in wrestling, the Mocs transitioned to Division I in the 1977-78 season.

Football joined the NCAA Division I-AA ranks in 1978 and many programs flourished in the Southern Conference under his tenure. Women's tennis captured six national titles from 1977-85, while the men won 10 SoCon titles in his tenure. 

Wrestling continued it success at the Division I level, winning the SoCon 11 times and tying for 14th at the 1983 NCAA Tournament.  Women's basketball claimed four SoCon titles and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 1989. 

Men's basketball made a national name even after its national championship with the move to DI. Wilkes hired two head coaches during his tenure. Murray Arnold and Mack McCarthy combined for seven SoCon championships and four NCAA Tournament appearances with the 1982 team coming within a whisker of the Sweet 16 defeating N.C. State the year prior to its Cinderella run.  He oversaw the move into the 11,000+ seat Roundhouse in 1983 later re-named McKenzie Arena. 

Memories of Coach Wilkes will last for generations among Mocs student-athletes, fans and supporters.  The Harold Wilkes Award was established by the UTC Athletics Hall of Fame in 2011 to recognize a volunteer, coach, staff member or University administrator who has demonstrated exemplary leadership in furthering Chattanooga Athletics.

Note: Morrison's 1977-78 +- team was something like 11-0 toward a likely bowl game and a top 20 ranking ( votes placed them in the top 25) then the infamous boycott of several skill players and an unfortunate loss.

Wrestling had some of the top recruits in our area like Turner Jackson and Randy Batten of Hixson (one of three MOW's with Tom Popp and Mike Blosser) as well as the great one Joe "Blue-Red Raider" Waddell... from way back in the day.

Edited by Sommers

1 hour ago, Sommers said:

When you want the refiner's fire u can go north a few hours...

No doubt Ryan has their younger boys prepping for future Big Time action... 

Ky Power Union County beat Father Ryan, TN 53-9 and Anna Jonesboro, IL 77-5. In

Payton Snyder 2-0 and continues his undefeated season with a 20-0 record.  

The UC will be back In action next week as they compete in the Mater Dei Classic at Mater Dei High School in Evansville, IN

Like everyone was told before the season began it has been a tough first half of the season for the Irish and will continue to be a rough road.  When you combine youth, injuries and little battle tested experience it makes for a long season.  All one can do is keep their nose to the grindstone and know that help is on the way.

• Upvote 1