6 classes in basketball

dmm88

good points  I agree.  

Why would the complete split mean USJ will have to play up to DII-AA?  TCA and JCS would be added to the current DII-A West.

If USJ played up, they would make the throw off the apple cart by being the 5th team in the  MUS / CBHS / Briarcrest, St Benedict for Boys and St Agnes, Hutchison, Briarcrest, SBA for girls. where now all 4 respective teams go straight to State playoffs each year.

I didn't make myself clear...was saying that enough Jackson residents are willing to pay for their kids education that a large private (or two) could thrive there instead of having five small ones, and the "fear Ensworth" portion of the discussion is the private school supporters voicing their fears that their respective enrollments are close to that of Ensworth's, which would place them in the same class should Ens. not choose (or be allowed) to play up. What they don't realize is that it would make logistics much easier in the west if all privates were in the same division.

I didn't make myself clear...was saying that enough Jackson residents are willing to pay for their kids education that a large private (or two) could thrive there instead of having five small ones, and the "fear Ensworth" portion of the discussion is the private school supporters voicing their fears that their respective enrollments are close to that of Ensworth's, which would place them in the same class should Ens. not choose (or be allowed) to play up. What they don't realize is that it would make logistics much easier in the west if all privates were in the same division.

if Jackson would / could support a large private school, then why are they not already be doing so?  USJ, JCS, TCA, Sacred Heart are all great schools.  Why are they still "small" based on enrollment?  

I do not see Ensworth ever "dropping" down to play in A until they stop dominating AA football.  They have played in the last 5 State Championship games, winning 4 of the 5.

if Jackson would / could support a large private school, then why are they not already be doing so?  USJ, JCS, TCA, Sacred Heart are all great schools.  Why are they still "small" based on enrollment?  

I do not see Ensworth ever "dropping" down to play in A until they stop dominating AA football.  They have played in the last 5 State Championship games, winning 4 of the 5.

Your question is the basis of my point. If a city can support five small privates, (church affiliation aside) one or two large would be feasible. USJ played in the public division until the implementation of the multiplier placed them in AA with some of the powerhouse football schools (Milan, JCM, ect...). Their pre multiplier enrollment was close to the cutoff, so dropping that many students was not a viable option...the path of least resistance to a title was to go DII, which they did. The rest of the privates in Jackson remained in DI, and have hovered just below cutoff numbers notwithstanding the first few years after their inception. The exception is JCS...they chose to go DII about six years ago, and "acquired" some athletes. Two years ago JCS decided to return to DI to compete, and won a baseball championship that season with the same kids acquired while in DII. 

Sorry to over explain...just that everything points to the same conclusion. The privates in Jackson are manipulating the system to their advantage. Is it cheating...no, it's not, but it is a conscious effort to maneuver themselves into the best possible position to hold a competitive advantage over the rural public schools in 1A. The immediate area of the schools has a population of over 100,000 people, and the privates draw students from the surrounding counties as well. 400 actual students per school shouldn't be any trouble to maintain...if it were another school wouldn't pop up every few years.

Someone mentioned the way Kentucky does it above. As someone that follows both KY & TN girls basketball just as hard as anyone, I would agree that Kentucky has the best system. One state champion for the entire state.

They do have an All "A" State championship held in the season that gives only Single-A teams a chance to play in that state tourney, but then single-A can also compete in the actual state tourney in March.

But there are too many state champions in Tennessee for my liking.

• 3 months later...

The majority of open enrollment schools such as Alcoa are mediocre at best in football. Why punish them when they struggle to compete in the class they are in already?? There are more open zone schools in TN than closed zone. And for everyone one you can name that excels in football I can name two that don't. What you are saying would indeed benefit some but would hurt far more.

Alcoa is mediocre at best in football??????? Really!!!!!

Looks like 6 will be discussed. Travel would be really affected, the more classes the further districts/regions are spread out. I would try 4 classes divided by just schools with teams participating. Some don't have softball for example, don't use basketball classes for softball.