Union City Golden Tornadoes 2016

BigSwo

Oh no, I don't want to see a spread type O at UC. I'm quite fond of the veer. But throw in a good pass attack, say %15 of the time and our running game gashes D's for more than it does now. By the way the last head coach that tried to install a spread O at UC is an assistant coach somewhere else now.

I've said that for years...It's hard to stop now but with a legitimate threat of a passing game it would be unstoppable...That's why Georgia Tech and Navy have so much success with it at the college level...

The formation is called flexbone. Gets it name from wish bone. The two up backs on the wish bone are slots in the flex. When a team is lined up in the flexbone set, it means they have 2 slots and 1 back. It is not called split wing t. Nor is it called split back I. Split back would mean 2 backs in backfield. There is an offense called split back veer. They don't run that. They run the veer from Flexbone formation.

Rocky, I stand corrected. The split wing T is very similar in appearance. A couple decades ago I scouted HS football. I was in KY for a game and one of the teams ran what they called the split wing T, almost identical to the flex bone. But they did not run the option out of it.

Edited by fallguy17

P&G, the veer can be run out of several different formations the flex bone as we have been informed, the I, the T, etc. The mesh and read of a specific defender remains the same. UC does run the mid-line veer. There are 2 other types: inside veer and outside veer. Each one attacks a different gap and has it's own defender to read.

Fallguy knows his ball. Union City fans seem to be some of the more informed fans on the T. To the average fan, midline, inside veer, and outside veer look the same. Midline is A gap, inside veer is B gap, outside veer is C gap play. if d lineman is in A gap, they won't run midline. They'll run inside and outside veer against anything at any time.

We don't call plays from the huddle. Our QB will look the defense over and call the play based on what the defense is set up in. He will get signals from Coach Bowling but he is given certain ques that he can adjust to if the defense shifts after the play is called. MidLine, inside, outside are all ran from the same formation, at least it seems that way. After watching this offense for over a decade now, that's including Bowling's time at OC, I have concluded that there are only about 7 or 8 plays that he, Bowling, runs with this offense on a consistent basis. He does throw in something a little different every now and then just to give the defense more to think about but he stays with the basic triple option of the veer for the most part. I love those little twists he will put in on occasion.

We don't call plays from the huddle. Our QB will look the defense over and call the play based on what the defense is set up in. He will get signals from Coach Bowling but he is given certain ques that he can adjust to if the defense shifts after the play is called. MidLine, inside, outside are all ran from the same formation, at least it seems that way. After watching this offense for over a decade now, that's including Bowling's time at OC, I have concluded that there are only about 7 or 8 plays that he, Bowling, runs with this offense on a consistent basis. He does throw in something a little different every now and then just to give the defense more to think about but he stays with the basic triple option of the veer for the most part. I love those little twists he will put in on occasion.

It's goes to show that you don't need a huge playbook to win. Just perfect what you do run and throw in some occasional different sets or looks and you can have great success at this level.