Union County 2016 or Not ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying I favor this idea, but would it be the end of the world if they simply decided to disband the football program altogether?

I see your point. If no serious candidates apply; if no players come out to play; if nobody came to watch the games; I could see disbanding. I don't think that is the case in Union County.

Of course it would not be the end of the world to disband football at Union County High. Contrary to what many might believe, it would not be the end of the world if the state of Tennessee declared organized football could no longer be played at all. (Due to concussions, insurance rates or whatever) The world would go on.

However, having been to games at Union County, there is some community interest and support for football. The school, and especially the potential players, would benefit from having the sport if it is done correctly. It is not only about winning games. It is not about getting college scholarships. It is about young men learning discipline, growing self esteem, learning life skills, teamwork and many other things.

How would Powell, Halls, Karns or any other school (that has gone through tough times) feel if football was disbanded?

I hope that does not heppen in Maynardville. I am hoping the delay is due to the AD being at the Spring Fling with the softball team or something.

It is not only about winning games. It is not about getting college scholarships. It is about young men learning discipline, growing self esteem, learning life skills, teamwork and many other things.

Solid point. That's a big part of all team sports. Important life lessons and skills.

It would be Armageddon if something like that happened at a school like Powell or even Karns (who has never been competitive), but should it be? Like I said, I'm not saying I favor axing the program. However, if it comes to that, there are always other sports out there. Union County has been pretty competitive in baseball, softball, basketball, and wrestling, so there are certainly opportunities for those kids outside of football.

Edited by osunut2

Have you ever heard the saying " Nero fiddled while Rome Burned."  That is what your A.D. is doing right now by not hiring a coach before school ended. There are teams with them on their schedule that are going to have to hump it to find and fill that open spot on their schedule if they cancel football and don't make some kind of decision ASAP while this guy is Fiddling Around. T$$AA should of sent someone there by now with a taser and stuck it to this guy's butt before now. 

According to Chris Thomas, Robert Conway has decided to come back and take the reins. Good luck to him. He's certainly got his work cut out for him. I doubt the 16-game losing streak will end this year, but at least those kids are familiar with Conway.

Who knows , maybe the assistants might have had a falling out with the head coach and could of been the reason they left. I remember Horace Mayrnard High High before there was a Union County High which is just down the road from the new school but were there another school that consolidated into this new school also or was that the only one. I remember they were like the armpit of East Tennessee Football also.

• 2 months later...