Tennessee USAW (TWF)

SAC

I just think the guys are misinformed about Greco. Recently was at a tournament and the referees were calling techs at 8-points... If these guys don't understand how can we expect the kids. Too many people think Greco scoring is all big throws!

IMO, the most important thing is to sell programs (coaches) on Freestyle and Greco. It would help if there wasn't this competition between Folkstyle and FS/GR in the spring. It's hard enough finding interested kids for one style, let alone two. There needs to be a 3 month hiatus (between high school nationals and the June camps) on folkstyle tournaments. Tennessee is about the only state that doesn't follow this etiquette. I really don't understand hosting a "modified takedown tournament" in the spring. The biggest problem is pride. Coaches that don't know freestyle are too prideful to send their kids to FS/GR clubs. Is the Director to blame? Having a weighin 1 day before or the morning of the State Tournament isn't going to increase participation or improve the officiating.

It would help if the Cadet and Jr. teams were promoted more during the highschool season (especially at the state tournament). Most kids don't even know this exist, what it is or the opportunities it presents. Money is another issue. Finding a sponsor/s is critical. Dreaming big, it's essential to have a 2 week training camp for the team before Fargo and organize some type of bus to get out there.

But to blame the Director for lack of interest is a mistake. There was no more interest with Hatcher or whoever else has been there the last 20 years. I understand it's his first year, at least give him a chance and some support instead of bashing him about a 2 day in advance weigh in. That's the least of the problems.

Edited by Newestguy

I just think the guys are misinformed about Greco. Recently was at a tournament and the referees were calling techs at 8-points... If these guys don't understand how can we expect the kids. Too many people think Greco scoring is all big throws!

Greco techs are 8 points, and Freestyle techs are 10 points

From the 2016 abbreviated rulebook... By technical superiority—USA rules indicate that technical superiority is a difference in ten (10) points for F/S and G/R at the Junior level and younger. Which is what we're talking about.

New guy... I'm definitely not suggesting that he is disinterested. I just think he is more about convenience for himself. The weigh-in thing, the lack of cups at the Ironman, using Ironman medals at state and his I'm the director you're the host site attitude don't sit well with me. Add to it the coaches need copper and bronze cards to be in the corner at state tournaments... I'm not sold!

Edited by SAC

Greco adds to your game, obviously free style adds to skill sets significantly. It's another sport that is faster with lots of scoring, throws and little to no stalling.

Even modified, this contrast is Great off season prep for those bigger matches in HS and beyond. Be careful how you return your wrestler to the mat as we saw last February of course.

These two styles may eventually be the difference in who wins state, the NCAA's, obviously World... Ask Cael