Can USJ finally get a gold ball?

I saw in person the DCA / CAK game. IMHO, if the game between FACS and DCA was a close game, I believe USJ wpuld have an easy night should they face FACS again. The problem is that they will never get the chance.

Then you saw DCAs Walker go 75 yards on his first carry. Had DCA not had turnovers on their own 5 and 17 they would have beaten CAK IMO. Not to mention the several times DCA WR's got deep on CAK but didn't connect. DCA was the better overall team than CAK and had they avoided those catastrophic tournovers and had they not had injuries they beat CAK 10+z.

They DCA vs FACS game wasn't close BTW. It was 35-7 at half and wasn't competitive. The 2nds and 3rds finished out the game.

Watching USJ vs Lausanne showed me alot. As did the St George vs Webb. Had Walker not been injured and been 100% against Lausanne DCA, Webb, HA and Lausanne were the best four in D2A.

Edited by Playerscoach

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you saw DCAs Walker go 75 yards on his first carry. Had DCA not had turnovers on their own 5 and 17 they would have beaten CAK IMO. Not to mention the several times DCA WR's got deep on CAK but didn't connect. DCA was the better overall team than CAK and had they avoided those catastrophic tournovers and had they not had injuries they beat CAK 10+z.

They DCA vs FACS game wasn't close BTW. It was 35-7 at half and wasn't competitive. The 2nds and 3rds finished out the game.

Watching USJ vs Lausanne showed me alot. As did the St George vs Webb. Had Walker not been injured and been 100% against Lausanne DCA, Webb, HA and Lausanne were the best four in D2A.

I appreciate your comments and opinions, but I never compared FACS to CAK. I gave my opinion on what I thought an FACS vs. USJ rematch would result in based on results and match ups that I was aware of. FACS was LUCKY to come back and win in the first game against USJ. They were fortunate to face a USJ team in a new system with a QB that had not even been able to practice  and yet USJ had the game won until an extremely unlikely series of events resulted in an unlikely comeback, and IMO had they played again, FACS would not have seen the same team they played in week one.

FACS never matched up or played CAK, nor did I compare the 2. However, CAK did play DCA. Those results are on the books. I totally disagree that DCA was the better team. Turnovers and incompletions to "open" receivers are a part of the game my friend. The facts are the facts. DCA was a fine team, and I NEVER was critical of them. My opinion was about USJ, whom I think is better at the end of the season than CAK was.  Now if you want to argue whether CAK with their starting QB was better than DCA (that is perhaps a discussion for another thread) you are welcome to believe as you wish. But if you start playing the "IF ONLY" game remember this: Both teams can play that imaginary game. So if DCA gets to pick plays and make them work, that in reality didn't, then CAK gets to have imaginary results on plays too. It was not a 1 point come back in overtime victory by CAK. The score was 47 to 35 CAK. That is not a blow out, nor did I say it was, but CAK won convincingly by 12 points. Holding on to the ball, hitting open receivers, etc. are all part of the game, and CAK was better than DCA that night. They didn't play a best of 7, and although I am confident in how that would have come out, that is not the way football is played.

Best wishes to your team, and maybe we'll get a chance to meet one day over a burger or something.

I appreciate your comments and opinions, but I never compared FACS to CAK. I gave my opinion on what I thought an FACS vs. USJ rematch would result in based on results I was aware of. FACS was LUCKY to come back and win in the first game against USJ. They were fortunate to face a USJ team in a new system with a QB that had not even been able to practice and yet USJ had the game won until an extremely unlikely series of events resulted in an unlikely comeback, and IMO had they played again, FACS would not have seen the same team they played in week one.

FACS never matched up or played CAK, nor did I compare the 2. However, CAK did play DCA. Those results are on the books, I totally disagree that DCA was a better team. Turnovers and incompletions to "open" receivers are a part of the game my friend. The facts are the facts. DCA was a fine team, and I NEVER was critical of them. My opinion was about USJ, whom I think is better at the end of the season than CAK was. Now if you want to argue whether CAK with their starting QB was better than DCA (that is perhaps a discussion for another thread) you are welcome to believe as you wish. But if you start playing the "IF ONLY" game remember this: Both teams can play that imaginary game. So if DCA gets to pick plays and make them work, that in reality didn't, then CAK gets to have imaginary results on plays too. It was not a 1 point come back in overtime victory by CAK. CAK won convincingly. Holding on to the ball, hitting open receivers, etc. are all part of the game, and CAK was convincingly better than DCA that night. They didn't play a best of 7, and although I am confident in how that would have come out, that is not the way football is played.

Best wishes to your team, and maybe we'll get a chance to meet one day over a burger or something.

Not trying to be negative about CAK. The atmosphere and people were great. The food was the best I've had at any HS game and that pudding was awesome. It's even great that its made by the moms. CAK is a first rate team and school.

The CAK DCA game was close at times and could have easily swung the other way. Catastrophic turnovers gave CAK 14 points and the breaks didn't go DCAs way in the passing game.

Your QB and WRs made plays that DCA didn't when the opportunities were there many times. It happens though so thats why I used "if". I also thought #66 was the best lineman we played against all year. He was relentless and talented.

Hate your QB went down because he was fun to watch and is a great HS player.

DCA returns all the DB's, WR's and QB from that game plus two good and one super fast RB (current freshmen). Lost 4 starters. They will be deeper, bigger, faster and stronger next season. Losing Walker is something that cannot be replaced but they have a very talented team coming back.

Best of luck to CAK and USJ.

Not trying to be negative about CAK. The atmosphere and people were great. The food was the best I've had at any HS game and that pudding was awesome. It's even great that its made by the moms. CAK is a first rate team and school.

The CAK DCA game was close at times and could have easily swung the other way. Catastrophic turnovers gave CAK 14 points and the breaks didn't go DCAs way in the passing game.

Your QB and WRs made plays that DCA didn't when the opportunities were there many times. It happens though so thats why I used "if". I also thought #66 was the best lineman we played against all year. He was relentless and talented.

Hate your QB went down because he was fun to watch and is a great HS player.

DCA returns all the DB's, WR's and QB from that game plus two good and one super fast RB (current freshmen). Lost 4 starters. They will be deeper, bigger, faster and stronger next season. Losing Walker is something that cannot be replaced but they have a very talented team coming back.

Best of luck to CAK and USJ.

Thank you sir for the nice comments. You guys have a lot coming back. CAK has a lot coming back but a huge hole is created by losing a 3 1/2 year starting QB in a QB oriented system, who was a college level prospect. It remains to be seen what CAK can do in the offseason to get ready for next year.

My prediction is that it is going to take ALL the new D2 schools some time to get in some scholarship athletes to mix in with their other kids in order to be competitive in D2. There is a reason they were separated, and since freshmen that effect the outcome are rare, I predict some tough sledding for the next couple of years for new D2 schools.

To bring this back to the home topic in this thread, USJ had a great season. Under the first new coach they've had in quite a few years, they managed to make it in the playoffs until they faced a team that very possibly may win the division. Webb will have its hands full, as will Lausanne with Webb. Not bad for year 1. I have a lot of respect for coach Meske and Webb, even though I'm ok if they never win another game against CAK (ha).

Good luck to DCA, and I hope we get to meet you guys again. It was a lot of fun the last couple of years, and I am a little partial to schools similar in their mission to our school.

As for USJ, congratulations on a great season! The seniors helped set the tone for a program on the rise. They adapted well and I suspect the school is very proud of you and the hard work you put in as well as the great season you had!

Ed-yes we did and lost to Northpoint who then lost to St G in finals

GoVols-thanks very much for the support over the past season. Your comments and assessments have been very positive and spot on. I also think the world of D2 ball will be different for teams coming from D1 and in fact, D2 has evolved from where it was just 3-4 years ago. Lausanne case in point. Will be difficult for teams to excel with only own school middle school players maturing into high school players. How many will be the question-some schools will bring in only a few while other schools bring in almost an entire team. While not at the level of the big D2AAA schools D2AA,at least the consistent top schools, will have to become mini versions of the big schools and some already have. Interesting times. Take care and good luck to you and CAK

Ed-yes we did and lost to Northpoint who then lost to St G in finals

GoVols-thanks very much for the support over the past season. Your comments and assessments have been very positive and spot on. I also think the world of D2 ball will be different for teams coming from D1 and in fact, D2 has evolved from where it was just 3-4 years ago. Lausanne case in point. Will be difficult for teams to excel with only own school middle school players maturing into high school players. How many will be the question-some schools will bring in only a few while other schools bring in almost an entire team. While not at the level of the big D2AAA schools D2AA,at least the consistent top schools, will have to become mini versions of the big schools and some already have. Interesting times. Take care and good luck to you and CAK

Agreed. DII-A is very different now than it was a few years ago. 

A lot of the credit goes to Webb. Other schools have really stepped it up to compete with the Spartans. Now we see this year where 4-5 teams are at or near that level.

Will be fun to watch USJ in the coming years. Even with the loss of Trey Smith, the Bruins may just be better next year.

USJ showed flashes of brilliance this year, though ultimately they never quite put it all together -- partly due to injuries late in the season. Another offseason under Coach Bradley's system will make a huge difference.

No doubt Bradley is a great coach. And more important from what I see he is a great man. But you can not neglect the fact that life gets a whole lot more diffficult for you guys next year. No more Fayete Academy, Tipton Rosemark. Your region now consist of Lausanne, St George, FACS. All losses this year. North point loss last year. Harding and ECS.

No doubt Bradley is a great coach. And more important from what I see he is a great man. But you can not neglect the fact that life gets a whole lot more diffficult for you guys next year. No more Fayete Academy, Tipton Rosemark. Your region now consist of Lausanne, St George, FACS. All losses this year. North point loss last year. Harding and ECS.

Great observation about next years region.   You have done some homework on the USJ Bruins.  Agreed that they will have a very competitive schedule in a very tough football region.