Can USJ finally get a gold ball?

Head scratcher from a distance, but a sure bet if you want a man who knows how to get everything a kid has in him. Michael Stroup is the real deal...in four years Scotts Hill went from an awful team consisting of twenty two players to a respected program with sixty plus on the roster. We've steadily improved each season under Coach Stroup, even though the "experts" figure us to be down after graduating our productive players most years, and not having much of a "system" to produce young talent.

I fully expect some giggles for the gold ball part of my first post, but I also expect that within two years everyone who is now doubtful will be sold on his abilities. Off the field is where USJ got their the most bang for their buck. Coach Stroup is a natural leader, and genuinely cares for the kids...he will take your child and mold him into a respectful young adult, while teaching the merits of trust and accountability.

I feel blessed to call Coach Stroup my friend, and a change of employment will never affect that. I also feel blessed that we had him here for the time that we have...our program is everything that we had hoped to be because of him and his staff, and we can honestly move forward with high expectations to somewhat balance our heavy hearts.  Here's wishing Coach Stroup and USJ all the success that he deserves...love you brother.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head scratcher from a distance, but a sure bet if you want a man who knows how to get everything a kid has in him. Michael Stroup is the real deal...in four years Scotts Hill went from an awful team consisting of twenty two players to a respected program with sixty plus on the roster. We've steadily improved each season under Coach Stroup, even though the "experts" figure us to be down after graduating our productive players most years, and not having much of a "system" to produce young talent.

I fully expect some giggles for the gold ball part of my first post, but I also expect that within two years everyone who is now doubtful will be sold on his abilities. Off the field is where USJ got their the most bang for their buck. Coach Stroup is a natural leader, and genuinely cares for the kids...he will take your child and mold him into a respectful young adult, while teaching the merits of trust and accountability.

I feel blessed to call Coach Stroup my friend, and a change of employment will never affect that. I also feel blessed that we had him here for the time that we have...our program is everything that we had hoped to be because of him and his staff, and we can honestly move forward with high expectations to somewhat balance our heavy hearts. Here's wishing Coach Stroup and USJ all the success that he deserves...love you brother.

trader I really don't think the head scratching is directed towards coach Stroup. The head scratch is the fact that they did away with Marley who built that program but never won the gold ball. Then they hire Bradley who had won them and he was the one that was going to bring USJ one. To now hiring a coach who is a good coach and a good guy but does not have in any way the resume that the 2 coaches that were there before. I do not say that meaning he can not do the job. But he now has a whole lot of issues that he never dealt with at Scott's hill. And not to mention the division he is now in. Huge step up in competition. Again I do not think any is directed toward coach Stroup. And really nothing negative toward USJ. Just an about face. Just my opinion and believe me I know it does not mean much. I wish coach Stroup good luck. Only not when we play them. 😂

trader I really don't think the head scratching is directed towards coach Stroup. The head scratch is the fact that they did away with Marley who built that program but never won the gold ball. Then they hire Bradley who had won them and he was the one that was going to bring USJ one. To now hiring a coach who is a good coach and a good guy but does not have in any way the resume that the 2 coaches that were there before. I do not say that meaning he can not do the job. But he now has a whole lot of issues that he never dealt with at Scott's hill. And not to mention the division he is now in. Huge step up in competition. Again I do not think any is directed toward coach Stroup. And really nothing negative toward USJ. Just an about face. Just my opinion and believe me I know it does not mean much. I wish coach Stroup good luck. Only not when we play them.

I wasn't really replying to anything posted yet, just letting everyone know that I understand the logic that he's not the first name that anyone would think of for USJ's "high profile" position. The "issues" that you speak of are the only thing that worries me...if left alone and in "full control" of all football decisions, he will succeed. Your opinion is taken more earnestly by me than most on here...truth.

I wasn't really replying to anything posted yet, just letting everyone know that I understand the logic that he's not the first name that anyone would think of for USJ's "high profile" position. The "issues" that you speak of are the only thing that worries me...if left alone and in "full control" of all football decisions, he will succeed. Your opinion is taken more earnestly by me than most on here...truth.

spot on. Can't wait to hear who gets that hidden gem there in Scotts Hill. By the way I am still full from my BBQ sandwich and slaw dog from Bob's. Love that place

Uninformed opinion here and someone with no dog in the fight. It's hard to hire a football coach in April. Very close to spring ball if not already in the middle of it. A lot of coaches won't jump after spring break. USJ was going to hire a head coach which limits your options due to the timing. They went out of the area last time to hire a HC and the new HC knows west TN football. The new coach obviously knows how to build and run a program. He is bringing an experienced coach with him Which brings continuity. Out of curiousity how many of marley's coaches are still on staff ? Did Bradley bring anyone besides his dad ? What talent does USJ bring back ?

Congrats to USJ for getting their guy. I hope, for the sake of the school and new coach, that he was one of their first choices, not someone who just took the job. I do not know anything about Coach Stroup, so I cannot speak on the hire itself, though it is very impressive what he did at Scotts Hill. USJ does have talent returning. They bring back their QB and top WR as well as a number of young men on defense. Obviously they lose Trey Smith which will be a big blow. Before I caught wind of Bradley leaving, I thought USJ would be a championship contender in their new division. So it will be interesting to see how well the new coach is able to implement his system and if the kids buy in.

Congrats to USJ for getting their guy. I hope, for the sake of the school and new coach, that he was one of their first choices, not someone who just took the job. I do not know anything about Coach Stroup, so I cannot speak on the hire itself, though it is very impressive what he did at Scotts Hill. USJ does have talent returning. They bring back their QB and top WR as well as a number of young men on defense. Obviously they lose Trey Smith which will be a big blow. Before I caught wind of Bradley leaving, I thought USJ would be a championship contender in their new division. So it will be interesting to see how well the new coach is able to implement his system and if the kids buy in.

strange hire....I thought USJ would fly in coaches from all over the country on their lear jet to interview for the job....don't know much about Coach Stroup but a 24-22 record at the Hill doesn't exactly jump out at you on a resume....I guess promoting Coach Hardagree or bringing back Coach Marley (who won 75% of his games but never won the "big one"...but neither did Bradley at USJ) was never considered...going from country Scoots Hill to coaching at Jackson's "beautiful people" school is gonna be interesting....

strange hire....I thought USJ would fly in coaches from all over the country on their lear jet to interview for the job....don't know much about Coach Stroup but a 24-22 record at the Hill doesn't exactly jump out at you on a resume....I guess promoting Coach Hardagree or bringing back Coach Marley (who won 75% of his games but never won the "big one"...but neither did Bradley at USJ) was never considered...going from country Scoots Hill to coaching at Jackson's "beautiful people" school is gonna be interesting....

The record itself is not all that impressive. But you have to look at where he brought them from. Scott's hill had their best years with him leading the way, no denying that.

Crickets no more BigEd!

This hire is as odd and strange as it gets. Not saying anything negative about USJ or Coach Stroup, but it's odd.

First off all, throw the 24-22 record away. Something that will be on Stroup's resume but shouldn't. I'm looking at their 2013 season and it just looks bad. 2-8 with the wins coming against Middleton and Gibson County. But they had a stretch where they lost to Jackson Christian (42-0), Bruceton (48-8), TCA (55-7), and Riverside (39-0), just horrible football back then.

Now, looking at their 2016 schedule is so much better, Adamsville win in the playoffs, played Wayne County close, lost to Waverly by 6 in the playoffs, very impressive.

I hate to use this word because high school athletes only have 4 years to play, they are not professional athletes that signs these 7 years/$200 Million dollar contracts. Stroup's "rebuilding" is what got him at USJ, made the community of Scotts Hill proud, and made Lexington not as dominate. I mentioned Lexington because in 2010-2013 years, Lexington was in the argument as a top 3 team in West Tennessee, 10-2, 11-1, and I believe they went undefeated in one of those years. Now, the Tigers are a 7-3ish regular season team. I don't know if Scott's Hill recent success has a part of that, but not going to leave it out.

USJ did not hire the 'sexy' guy, but that doesn't they hired the 'right' guy. I think USJ had a reality check, realized that they probably weren't going to win a state championship in the immediate future. I'm assuming that USJ realize that he could be the guy that will get us to the top, even though the results won't come right away. Going to be odd for Stroup to be surrounded by houses at pratice and not corn fields that are miles and miles away. Not a bad hire at all!

The Bruins return a lot of players for this upcoming season--the leading tackler, leading rusher, leading receiver, an unbelievable kicker, a great QB and a lot of talented young men,   Over the years, USJ has had its fair share of tough, gritty, hard working kids and this upcoming season will be no exception.  

By all accounts the coaching style, life approach and priorities that Coach Stroup brings with him will help make the Bruin football team better and ready for any challenge.   

This division is very competitive, top to bottom.   The key to success is getting the absolute most out of what you have.               Excited to be moving forward.