Three classes for soccer!

1925Kee

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And like I said you would have to have statistical proof to show that it does or doesnt, Other than that it's just assumptions. I just find it funny that school have been playing travel team in other sports for years and no one has brought this up till girls soccer about it being the biggest factor.....

Exactly! Let's count how many AAU basketball players are on the successful teams.

We are not morons on this board, at least most of us are not. Of course club soccer is a key component of the hard-working model. The lazy, give-me-a-trophy-for-showing-up model involves showing up to practice after the summer dead period, after last kicking a ball in the 1st round of district playoffs.

All of this makes the English Premier League's promotion/relegation system seem smarter and smarter every day. 

Yes, it does! I think that would be an interesting possibility.

As for AAU and travel baseball, etc. Not an apples-to-apples comparison. The big difference is that soccer--in many communities--is in its infancy. In many places it hasn't been around for more than 10 years or so. That's not the case with baseball and basketball. Kids coming in to play those sports, even in rural schools, have likely been exposed to that sport since birth. Football too, although there's no real direct comparison to club (7 on 7 kind of, but not in the same way).

Another big difference: In football, basketball and baseball, high school is king of the hill. Most kids practice in the off season so they can participate on their high school teams. That's where they'll get the most recognition.  In soccer, the biggest recognition--at least at the "next level"-- will come from club play, not high school.

Soccer, on the other hand, in many places the parents/communities don't know the first thing about it. Don't know the rules. Don't have access to a coach who really knows the game.

I'd like to see these schools' programs grow. Give them a chance to compete and have some measure of success. And that's not an either/or situation. Giving these small programs a chance does not mean you're taking away from the hard working/established programs. What it would do is better separate those classifications so that the genuinely good teams won't be facing off with the smaller/weaker programs.

Oh me! Obviously, TSSAA has witnessed a problem with the current classifications. This PUB vs. Private conversation is nauseating. It creeps into every thread like a toxic waste. Can public schools be successful in classes with private schools? Obviously, ask Greeneville, Page, White House, and WH-Heritage. Does it make it harder on the public schools? Of course it does. You are kidding yourself if you think it does not.

Put the argument to bed. In fact, you don't even have to put the argument to bed. TSSAA is going to do it for you.

When do we get to highlight quality players and games and truly get excited about the Spring Fling starting next week? I can start that excitement once you flush your PUB vs. Private conversations down the toilet along with my nausea.

Spring Fling Soccer.....Yes.....the Spring Fling

can barf just thinkin bout the playin surfaces out there

Booger just sayin vomit.gif

This is Larry from Livingston.

Name a complex with better surfaces or provide an alternate solution. Your alternate solution should take into consideration avoiding any home field type advantage.

Thank you. I'll hang up and listen.

Not backtracking one bit. I offered a suggestion that has sent you into a tailspin: that the existence of club players has a significant impact on high school soccer success. I would argue the BIGGEST impact. You're personally offended by that. Understand this is not a personal attack.

I did not say that population and club participation were exclusive--all one thing or all the other. Of course population is a factor. But is it a BIGGER factor than club activity?

Just throwin it out there that our lil ol tiny school of around 400 kiddos had about 3 or 4 travel players on the team this year and we tied the Monster Ravenwood and beat the Big Giant Ferocious Franklin who both start 11 travel players with travel players coming of the bench!!  We just have a really good Coach and the girls work hard!  :rolleyes:

The fields are green and in great condition.

Looking forward to the Fall TSSAA Girls Soccer Championships.

For once, they actually are. I was at the stadium field far too late last night. Still, I'd much rather have the games at something more suitable for high school games. Contrary to some opinions, these are not club games.  :mrgreen: