Upperman @ Monterey

TALMAD

Upperman opened in 2003 with a max capacity of 1,200. They started this school year with 805 students, up 53 from 2015. CHS started this school year with 2305 students, up 70 from last year. Max capacity for CHS is 2,500.

There are no plans currently to expand either one or build a new high school.

They know they're gonna have to do "something" about both schools soon, but there's nothing in the works. If they started planning it NOW it would take years to complete, so I hope they get on it.

I don't know about a bleacher expansion but I'll just say this : Good luck getting the county to pay for a bleacher expansion after they're already built. If the county would pay for football facilities and fields we would be playing on turf. The new scoreboard at CHS was paid for with booster club donations and UHS might have to do the same for bleacher expansion.

Edited by THE SQUAD

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upperman opened in 2003 with a max capacity of 1,200. They started this school year with 805 students, up 53 from 2015. CHS started this school year with 2305 students, up 70 from last year. Max capacity for CHS is 2,500.

There are no plans currently to expand either one or build a new high school.

They know they're gonna have to do "something" about both schools soon, but there's nothing in the works. If they started planning it NOW it would take years to complete, so I hope they get on it.

I don't know about a bleacher expansion but I'll just say this : Good luck getting the county to pay for a bleacher expansion after they're already built. If the counity would pay for football facilities and fields we would be playing on turf. The new scoreboard at CHS was paid for with booster club donations and UHS might have to do the same for bleacher expansion.

I don't know of any public school with turf paid for by the school system. That is not likely to happen. Our indoor practice facility was paid for by boosters (close to $1 mil). Our field house was paid for by boosters. The new visitors stands were paid for by the school system. Of course...when we did that...Gordonsville got them also. They did need new bleachers because their homeside was condemned. They also got an indoor baseball/softball facility.

When you are winning especially...it is beneficial to expand. A lot of SC fans used to stay at home when they played at the U because there is no place to sit. The expansion there would pay for itself.

Edited by Antwan

I don't know of any public school with turf paid for by the school system. That is not likely to happen. Our indoor practice facility was paid for by boosters (close to $1 mil). Our field house was paid for by boosters. The new visitors stands were paid for by the school system. Of course...when we did that...Gordonsville got them also. They did need new bleachers because their homeside was condemned. They also got an indoor baseball/softball facility.

When you are winning especially...it is beneficial to expand. A lot of SC fans used to stay at home when they played at the U because there is no place to sit. The expansion there would pay for itself.

At SC the new lighting on both fields was paid for by the county. The new baseball field and softball field at SC was paid for by boosters. The boosters at SC will have both fields lit before long.Our boosters take pride and really support SC as you can see. 

At SC the new lighting on both fields was paid for by the county. The new baseball field and softball field at SC was paid for by boosters. The boosters at SC will have both fields lit before long.Our boosters take pride and really support SC as you can see.

Yes they do. The school board has been good also. A lot better than most.

and again Putnam builds for the current situation and doesn't look to build for the future....

Putnam Co. does not zone and that could be the answer but to start a zoning program you have to have space in other schools to take the overflow which is not the case in Putnam. New building program will be the only solution for Putnam.

Putnam Co. does not zone and that could be the answer but to start a zoning program you have to have space in other schools to take the overflow which is not the case in Putnam. New building program will be the only solution for Putnam.

The remoteness (mountain) of Monterey makes it difficult to send kids there. I doubt there are many from there going to Cookeville or Upperman.

The remoteness (mountain) of Monterey makes it difficult to send kids there. I doubt there are many from there going to Cookeville or Upperman.

That is correct - don't see many kids traveling to Monterey from Baxter. Also look at the geographical shape of Putnam and traveling east to west would invoke several miles, a lot of travel time and poor road conditions in winter. 

That is correct - don't see many kids traveling to Monterey from Baxter. Also look at the geographical shape of Putnam and traveling east to west would invoke several miles, a lot of travel time and poor road conditions in winter. 

We got a several good transfers from Cookeville this year for basketball and a couple of them are playing football! Like you both said that is a drive for anyone!!! I dont see many doing that!!!

I spoke with someone close to the Monterey head coach, he is married to Baxter girl, and he said that the state wouldn't allow them to fill up the swamp land on that side of the field to place bleachers.

when we (SC) put in our visitors bleachers we had a ton of problems with the state. There is a creek that runs behind and under the bleachers and some kind of a snail fish lived in the creek. the construction to replace the bleachers was "going to upset the habitat of the snail". For a while it seemed we would not get the new bleachers put in but the state rep. was retiring and he finally approved the bleachers with SC making improvements behind the bleachers and even had to go a distance below the bleachers off the school property to make improvements. The bank behind the bleachers, you have noticed, has been cleaned off and trees planted. That was one of the agreements that had to be met. This land is not school property but the State got permission from landowner to make said improvements. Yes !!!!! the State can cause problems.