Game 12.) Mitchell @ Union City

Game 13.) MLK Prep @ Raleigh-Egypt

Game 14.) Ridgeway @ Southwind

Game 15.) Trezevant @ Southaven

Game 16.) Westwood @ Hernando (MS)

Game 17.) Desoto Central (MS) @ White Station

Game 18.) Whitehaven @ Florence (AL)

Game 19.) Wooddale @ Lewisburg (MS)

I've waffled on The Briarcrest/St. George's game three times already. I'm going to stick with Chase Hayden and the Gryphon's. I've waffled on Ridgeway/Southwind twice as well.

Edited by kwc

Same here Galilee. Although, you had me at a disadvantage with Andre Turner in our midst and both of ya'll talkin' 'bout convertin' me to become a 'real Tiger' ... LOL.

Saturday night worked out really well for all involved. That crowd was tremendous. It was packed ... both sets of bleachers AND the track. All of the schools involved should have experienced a very good payday. I like that the smaller schools that don't normally get to play in front of a crowd that large at one of their games got a chance to experience it. I know when they (small schools) travel it is usually the home team that they are visiting that pack the stands. But ... the Whitehaven Classic is different altogether. This is special for the community. What happened Saturday is the high school football atmosphere you want those young people to get a chance to experience.

I've heard other people say that Whitehaven could play 'other' teams on that date. I pray we never do that. This is an event that all of the schools involved look forward to. It is the event that starts the school year. The young people look forward to it. The old heads like myself look forward to it. There is no other event that will allow the smaller schools in the Whitehaven area to be a part of something that has such an impact in the community and at the same time be as lucrative as this event has become. It's amazing what can be accomplished when we all come together in unity for a common goal. The Whitehaven Classic is such a phenomenal success. I hope the North Memphis Classic is just as successful.

Just think ... the Whitehaven Classic would might have never came into fruition if the Bridges Kickoff Classic would have never snubbed Whitehaven when they did. Its something to think about. It was a blessing in disguise!

You are correct. I was in the meeting with Dr .Hunter, Whitehavens AD, Mr. Ware, and Myself when the Bridges Classic wanted both schools to commit to a huge number of ticket sales. We laughed after the meeting started our own. Look where we are now.  

That was just a smoke screen...they wanted us out anyway because of the back to back .500 hundred seasons we had. They wanted to bring someone else in, so they used that scheme. The BC only lasted a couple years after that and we still goin. ....teams wish they could get in, that's why Southwind didn hesitate when they were asked to come in.....lol

That was just a smoke screen...they wanted us out anyway because of the back to back .500 hundred seasons we had. They wanted to bring someone else in, so they used that scheme. The BC only lasted a couple years after that and we still goin. ....teams wish they could get in, that's why Southwind didn hesitate when they were asked to come in.....

Well it backfired and we are still going strong. My sister is the president at TSU and I am working with Fred Jones of the SHC to get involved and make the Whitehaven Classic better.

Winning time of possession? Trezevant prefers TD per possession

preps-generic.jpg

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Need more evidence that time of possession is the most meaningless of football stats? Just look at last Saturday's Trezevant-KIPP Academy game.

The Bears, ranked first in the state in 2A, won 36-6 despite (or maybe because of?) running just 10 plays from scrimmage. Here's how it broke down:

Opening kickoff returned for a touchdown.

Three plays. Touchdown. 

One play. Touchdown.

Three plays. Touchdown.

Then in the third quarter, they had a two-play touchdown drive to get the lead to 36-0 and start a running clock before running one play at the end of the game.

Efficiency, thy name is Trezevant.

(11) BRIARCREST (1-0) at (10) ST. GEORGE'S (1-0), 7 p.m.

Storylines: Expect some offense in this one. The defending Division 2-A state champs rolled up 409 yards in their opening victory over Jackson Trinity Christian, 246 from Arkansas commitment Chase Hayden. Briarcrest will counter through the air behind Jackson Walker (278 yards, three scores).

(1) Whitehaven (1-0) at Florence (Ala.) (0-1), 7 p.m.

Storylines: The Tigers turned in a dominant defensive effort against Mitchell, with Missouri commit Aubrey Miller the standout. Florence had a wild opener, losing 53-48 to Pinson (Ala.) Clay-Chalkville.

Craigmont (0-1) at (2) Cordova (1-0), 7 p.m.

Storylines: The Chiefs managed just 95 yards and two points in a loss to Douglass and will likely struggle again against a very good Wolves team.

(3) CBHS (1-0) at St. Louis CBC (1-0), 7 p.m.

Storylines: The Brothers pitched a shutout against White Station with the Spartans scoring on special teams and on defense. They won't be able to turn it over four times against the Cadets, who beat Miller Career Academy 48-0 in their opener.

(4) Trezevant (1-0) at Southaven (0-1), 7 p.m.

Storylines: Cordarrian Richardson (107 yards, touchdown) and the Bears will definitely run more than 10 plays against the Chargers, who are coming off a 26-20 loss to Oxford (Miss.).

(5) Ridgeway (1-0) at Southwind (1-0), 7 p.m.

Storylines: The Roadrunners were clicking on offense against Houston, passing for 287 yards and running for 251. And as if any motivation was needed against a big rival, the Jaguars won last year 27-25.

Kingsbury (1-0) at (6) MUS (1-0), 7 p.m.

Storylines: The Falcons pitched a shutout against BTW but will have much tougher time against the Owls, who struggled to finish drives against Central but got four field goals from Trey Thomas.

(8) Covington (1-0) at Melrose (0-1), 7 p.m.

Storylines: Region 8-3A opener should be a good one. As always, Melrose has some terrific playmakers, but the Chargers' defense was stout in Week 1.

Senatobia-Miss. (1-0) at (9) Harding (1-0), 7 p.m.

Storylines: The Lions looked every bit the state title contender in a 52-6 victory over Wooddale and will be eager to avenge a 30-point loss in 2015.

ECS (0-1) vs. (12) East (0-1) at Fairgrounds, 7 p.m.

Storylines: Briarcrest lit up the Eagles' defense last week and East has some pretty dangerous weapons, led by Memphis commit Tim Taylor and wide receiver Qwynnterrio Cole.

FRIDAY'S OTHER GAMES

7 p.m. — Manassas at Arlington, Washington at Bartlett, Collierville at Center Hill, Olive Branch at Charleston (Miss.), Brighton at Dyer Co., H.W. Byers vs. Fairley at J.P. Freeman, West Memphis Christian at Fayette Aca., Sheffield at First Assembly, Oakhaven at Halls, Westwood at Hernando, Hamilton at Holly Springs (Miss.), Kirby at Horn Lake, Henry County at Houston, Fayette-Ware at Jackson South Side, Douglass at Lake Cormorant, Wooddale at Lewisburg, Millington at Munford, Hillcrest vs. Overton at Halle, MLK Prep at Raleigh-Egypt, Memphis Nighthawks at Rossville Christian, Germantown at St. Benedict, Greenfield (Tenn.) at Tipton-Rosemark Aca., Mitchell at Union City, DeSoto Central vs. White Station at Crump.

SATURDAY'S GAME

7 p.m. — Middle College vs. Catholic at St. Benedict.

Edited by kwc

FOOTBALL SUMMARY

At Melrose

MAHS 36, KIPP 20

KIPP 6 0 8 6—20

MAHS 6 14 0 16—36

KIPP — Orreon Finley 22 pass from Dewayne Betts (run failed)

MAHS — Caleb Johnson 47 run (pass failed)

MAHS — Caleb Johnson 26 run (pass failed)

MAHS — Tyrell Partee 1 run (Tyrell Partee pass from Rodkerrion Lucas)

KIPP — Dewayne Betts 11 run (Wiliam Hankins run)

MAHS — Caleb Johnson 6 run (Caleb Johnson run)

MAHS — Caleb Johnson 5 run (Justin Rhodes run)

KIPP — Orreon Finley 26 pass from Dewayne Betts (run failed)

KIPP         MAHS

First downs                         12              14

Net yards rushing               147           380

Net yards passing              150               0

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — KIPP, Josh Williams 9-99. MAHS, Caleb Johnson 22-227, Justin Rhodes 19-153.

PASSING — KIPP, Dewayne Betts 7-17-150-1. MAHS, Rodkerrion Lucas 0-2-0-0.

RECEIVING — KIPP, Orreon Finley 5-130.

RECORDS — KIPP 0-3, MAHS 1-1.

Edited by kwc

Everybody, I'm sorry for getting this out so late but my week has been hectic. Week one is in the books. Week 2 is on the horizon. We had 15 participants last week. Let's see if we can keep this thing going. I have two (2) Thursday night games and 20 games in total. So, break out your best prognostication gear and get to work! BGIM Week 2 is as follows:

Thursday, August 25, 2016 Games:

Game 1.) KIPP vs MAHS @ Melrose Stadium

Game 2.) Middle College @ Mem. Catholic

Friday, August 26, 2016 Games:

Game 3.) Briarcrest @ St. George's

Game 4.) CBHS @ CBHS (MO)

Game 5.) Covington @ Melrose

Game 6.) ECS @ East

Game 7.) Germantown @ St. Benedict

Game 8.) Houston @ Henry Co.

Game 9.) Kingsbury @ MUS

Game 10.) Kirby @ Hornlake (MS)