Daily Rules Question

TribeFan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually found the rule in the NFHS rule book in section 9:9. It states that an opposing teams band can not play during a play on the field while the opposing team has the ball. It falls under "unfair acts" and can range in a penalty of 5 yards for delay of game up to 15 yards and automatic first down for unsportsmanlike. A warning is given first then a penalty.

If the quarterback cant communicate to his team he can simply turn to the referee and let him know he cant communicate with his team then its the referees duty to warn the AD from the opposing school.

I actually found the rule in the NFHS rule book in section 9:9. It states that an opposing teams band can not play during a play on the field while the opposing team has the ball. It falls under "unfair acts" and can range in a penalty of 5 yards for delay of game up to 15 yards and automatic first down for unsportsmanlike. A warning is given first then a penalty.

If the quarterback cant communicate to his team he can simply turn to the referee and let him know he cant communicate with his team then its the referees duty to warn the AD from the opposing school.

Is it a rule that the TSSAA adopted??

The other day Maryville had the ball around the Fulton 20, after a timeout or something they came back on to the field and the Fulton loud speakers started blaring the loudest most obnoxious noise (some would call it music but I won't dignify it with that term) while Maryville was trying to run a play.    So technically this was not the band playing but it was disruptive, not sure why any school would allow something like that to happen.

If the quarterback cant communicate to his team he can simply turn to the referee and let him know he cant communicate with his team then its the referees duty to warn the AD from the opposing school.

Which NFHS Rule Book are You finding This???

SECTION

UNFAIR

ACTS

ART. 1 . . . A player or nonplayer or person(s) not subject to the rules shall not hinder

play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

ART. 2 . . . No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal

line.

ART. 3 . . . No player shall hide the ball under a jersey.

ART. 4 . . . No player shall use a kicking tee in violation of Rule 1-3-4.

ART. 5 . . . Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the referee,

tends to make a travesty of the game.

PENALTY: Unfair act – the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable,

including the award of a score – (S27). Repeated fouls (Art. 2) – the game may be

forfeited. Hiding the ball under a jersey, (Art. 3) (S27) – 15 yards basic spot. Using

illegal kicking tee, (Art. 4), (S27) – 15 yards basic spot.

NOTE: The penalties in Rules 9-9-3 and 9-9-4 are not charged to the coach or player

for the purpose of unsportsmanlike conduct disqualifications.

Not sure where you're finding this...granted what I just posted is from a 2014 PDF rule book I have.

I can tell you that you wouldn't talk to the opposing AD. Each game has a game administrator and if anything was done it would be up to that person not the AD of the school you have a problem with.

For us, as long as there is no whistle coming from the stands then the band can do what they want.